Stock 1974 FJ40 for an African roadtrip to Morocco? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moving around to get sound differences

Reving

Some notes on what I noticed, including things I discovered later compared to the progression of this story (and also suggestion made in real time by people on insta):
  • Sounds propagate through all the engin and transmission and can be heard coming from everywhere
  • Clearly the strongest in the half rear of the valve cover, sounds stronger on the right also but it may just be that there are a lot of obstruction on the left side...
  • Tried all the combinations of clutch-in/out, in/out-gear (with transfer in N) to check if it could be the pilot bearing or throwout bearing but it changes nothing and it's not where the sound is the strongest.
  • PCV valve got mentioned, I couldn't fully removed it by hand and was not wanting to risk to destroy the casing/seal using a tool, looked ok to me and I don't think the sound comes from here.
  • No blow back
  • This sound only appear after the engine gets really fully hot, driving offroad for some time or over a mountain pass (which is exactly what I expect to do all the coming days...). Just idling indefinitely or driving casually on road is not enough for it to appear. When it appears it generally stays for the day, a 45min-1h lunch break is not enough for it disappear, needs 2-3h cooling for that.
View attachment 3506362

My current theory would be the valves clearance that got wrong (last time set 12000km ago) or was not set hot enough...

Haven't 100% pointed the issue to this day so definitively taking opinions on it.
(once out of the Atlas it's rare that get into a condition it appears)

That PCV valve is bad

Sorry to hear about your engine woes. I like the idea of checking the vavle clearance. As you know these engines have solid lifters and tend to were out the cam lobes over time but that would require more checks. I have in the past when in situation like this try to baby it until I can get to a good location where you may have access to a mechanic. On a trip I had similar issues and really could not do much so I changed the oil to inspect it and refilled with synthetic oil just a little better lubricant than what I had previously. I was not concern what I find just wanted a better lubricant so l could limp home. And the issue with side wall damage I would definitely replace or keep an eye that tire, it's in the worst possible spot(top corner-side). Be careful going forward and good luck my friend.
Well, next day profile is not really babying compatible 😅
1702548872276.png

Except for the noise engine is running fine and since out of mountain and long offroad parts the sound did not reappear (haven't tried highspeed highway yet).

For the tire it looks impressive but it doesn't go through, the structure is not visible. I think the deflect ring of the sidewall did its job ok.
I have a tube inside anyway.

That PCV valve is bad
Mhh, definitively on the list of things to address at some point. I'll try to have parts (at least the ring seal) before to pull it because I don't think it ever got removed and probably won't come easy.
Can you tell that by the way the spring is inside?
I don't think that it could be the source of the noise I hear?

The most impressive part of the gorge is very touristy so I didn't even bother to stop...
When we went the river was full of Moroccans swimming... granted it was in July lol. Dadès was one of the my favorite of the switch back roads, that along with the way we went coming over the High Atlas heading to Marrakesh

Well, next day profile is not really babying compatible 😅
Lol, we don't expect anything less when driving a Land Cruiser. Keep being vigilant and monitoring it...it's is the least you can do. Keep the cool pics coming.

We had a blower fail at work yesterday, one of the young guys was asking why I was cleaning the turbine portion and brackets and said it had nothing to with the performance of the electric motor. I said most bearings will prematurely before it recommended lifespan if they are not maintained properly but he responded but it's a sealed bearing. I said this bearing may look sealed but it's actually designed to have grease next to it and slowly seep into the bearing. That is why we remove the dust everywhere we can when put it back together. The dust acts like sand paper and prematurely wear them a lot sooner than normal. He had light bulb moment and starts asking about loose hinges, bushings....etc.....

Last edited:
I'm soooooo late with this story.... anyway let's continue, maybe I'll finish before the end of year Holidays 😅

Originally I had planned to go toward Ouarzazate (west) at this point but I got strongly advised for this route through the high Atlas and I needed to shorten my path to stay on time.
As shown previously this goes through two 3000m passes and two 2700m passes for a total of 4600m of ascent x)
1702940046505.png

Before attacking the main ascent of the Atlas I'm starting by a service trail for a telecom antenna that takes me over a little mountain to the next valley.
The trail is very steep and the more I progress the more damaged this trail is, eroded on cliff side, rock scree on mountain side, rutted on the center... Sometime you have to uncomfortably slalom very close to the edge between those obstacles. I hesitated to backtrack but first there were not many places to do it safely and I could see that the track had been worked/fixed just enough for a compact 4x4 to pass (probably for the antenna maintenance team) so I figured that I should be able to make it to the top.

1702941238462.png

And the view at the top is really worth it!

1702941273965.png

Starting my way down on the other side I'm reassured by a track in way better condition.

Until very suddenly it becomes completely impassible...
1702941533381.png

1702941663573.png

Entire section is bad, only bikes are passing here.
1702941754650.png

For the night I went to an ecolodge in the valley that I had noted from a guide.
The place in on a rocky headland in the middle of th valley with a beautiful view on the surroundings.
I have to admit that I kind of landed here not very aware of the details of the place. Seems it's a reputed place recommended in a lot of guides, and for off season it's quite full (but still have a room for me). People come directly from Marrakesh to here after landing to the airport and stay here for a week... And I can understand why, it's a very peaceful and friendly ambiance that makes you want to just take the time and chill, read, share tea and biscuits with the other occupants, etc. Quite a luxury place (particularly compared to the rest of my trip) but being Morocco, with the excellent homemade (and homegrown) diner included it pretty much costed the same than a side of a highway hotel and fastfood in France.

1703205921536.png

1703206363628.png

1703206377957.png

1703206404420.png

For this new day my plan was to drive to a landmark/mountain called the Cathedral from where a very famous canyon piste starts.
The first part would be a quite long winding road/ gravel road through the mountain but the owner of the lodge indicated me a shortcut (green trace) he uses when he want to bring his customer to Imilchill. This shortcut takes a small piste following a valley on the side of the mountain, and brings behind the Cathedral.
1703206449311.png

1703206689095.png

1703206849744.png

1703206890414.png

In some places the track is so tight on the side of the mountain that when I encountered some women with (heavily) loaded donkeys I was forced to reverse to find an adequate spot to cross them.

1703206975869.png

Note that after the fact I tried to search if this piste was known by the traveler community and I wasn't able to find it referenced anywhere. Piste doesn't appear on trace sharing apps like Gaia or Wikiloc, if I search the name of the village it starts from I find no result, and I even asked the tour organizer and he was not familiar with this one.
It would not be adapted to the bigger vehicles (big trucks or pickups with campers) but for regular 4x4 this piste is really splendid and brings directly to one of the most famous in Morocco, so weird no one found out (and shared it).

The Cathedral
1703207906794.png

1703207918545.png

1703207943437.png

My last fuel fill-up was in Boumalne Dadès quite a while ago, the next gas station is in Imilchil and I can't make it just with my tank. Obviously with my Jerrycans I could do it but I'm lazy and the lodge owner indicated me that in the village at the bottom of the Cathedral I could get drum fuel and that the quality is good. In the area they basically have to drive 3h in the wrong direction if they want fuel from a real station.
So for the first time...
1703208270725.png

Weirdly, as soon as they finished to fill up my 20l the shop owner left running... Was quite surprised, generally people don't run from me when I owe them money. Other guy explained me that he was responsible to do the call to prayer in the village mosque nearby and that it was time, and when it's time, it's time.
He came back 2min later after doing his call in the loudspeaker.

For the night I went to an ecolodge in the valley that I had noted from a guide.
The place in on a rocky headland in the middle of th valley with a beautiful view on the surroundings.
I have to admit that I kind of landed here not very aware of the details of the place. Seems it's a reputed place recommended in a lot of guides, and for off season it's quite full (but still have a room for me). People come directly from Marrakesh to here after landing to the airport and stay here for a week... And I can understand why, it's a very peaceful and friendly ambiance that makes you want to just take the time and chill, read, share tea and biscuits with the other occupants, etc. Quite a luxury place (particularly compared to the rest of my trip) but being Morocco, with the excellent homemade (and homegrown) diner included it pretty much costed the same than a side of a highway hotel and fastfood in France.

View attachment 3514017
View attachment 3514033
What is the name of the lodge? Some of our friends are talking about a less ambitious Marrakesh based trip

Wonderful exploration of some amazing countryside.
What mapping/GPS software are we seeing in the planning/trace screenshots, and what do you use while driving?

Wonderful exploration of some amazing countryside.
What mapping/GPS software are we seeing in the planning/trace screenshots, and what do you use while driving?
Most are from Gaia GPS. First time I was using/testing it, some good and least good things about it so don't know yet if I will continue with this app for future trips.

1703335621171.png

As you can notice I got caught up by a group leaded by Ford Ranger and followed by 5 rental LC 150.

1703335823814.png

1703335840959.png

1703335869150.png

1703336033534.png

After Anergui I took the mountain road to Imilchil and went to find myself a campspot rrecommended by the lodge owner, on a plateau over the Tislit lake.
1703336198804.png

This is 2300m altitude and I really froze my ass as soon as the sun disappeared 😅
Still cooked myself a real meal, for only the second time on this trip.
Hopefully after a couple of hours in the swag, temperature inside got better and I had quite a good night.

View attachment 3515046

As you can notice I got caught up by a group leaded by Ford Ranger and followed by 5 rental LC 150.

View attachment 3515048

View attachment 3515049

View attachment 3515050

View attachment 3515051

After Anergui I took the mountain road to Imilchil and went to find myself a campspot rrecommended by the lodge owner, on a plateau over the Tislit lake.
View attachment 3515052

This is 2300m altitude and I really froze my ass as soon as the sun disappeared 😅
Still cooked myself a real meal, for only the second time on this trip.
Hopefully after a couple of hours in the swag, temperature inside got better and I had quite a good night.

Looks like rush hour! :)

Where did you get the "backpack" on your spare tire and what do you store in it?
Great Photos by the way! Really enjoying this trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom