Steel Wheel Tech (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. Yeah, my understanding is that some people run spacers when using the 17" FJ Cruiser steel wheel on the 80 in order to push the wheels outboard a bit. I did not want to run spacers, and so, before I pulled the trigger, I verified with a few folks on the forum that the wheel would work as is, without spacers, which for me it does. One might run into some rubbing if running a wide tire, but there's plenty of room for 255s.
Looks perfect to me. I think I found a set pretty quickly. He is saying "265/75r17. Fits Tacoma, 4Runner, older tundra, fj cruiser".

1638722581790.png

Thanks. Yeah, my understanding is that some people run spacers when using the 17" FJ Cruiser steel wheel on the 80 in order to push the wheels outboard a bit. I did not want to run spacers, and so, before I pulled the trigger, I verified with a few folks on the forum that the wheel would work as is, without spacers, which for me it does. One might run into some rubbing if running a wide tire, but there's plenty of room for 255s.
For what it’s worth, I’m running the same wheels with a 285 tire, with no rubbing issues. I also run without spacers.

I am

running the exact same setup, stock suspension height with no interference issues.

Yep. I have stock replacement OME springs with a 1” spacer in the front and airbags in the rear for fully loaded trips

Wow this steelie thread is popular, rigs look great guys!

New buyers please be forewarned: equipping a stock or near stock US 80 series produces decreased fuel economy, increased braking distance, loss of (perceived) power, and slightly altered steering. miss my aluminums honestly, but the truck looks great!

my experience is with a 3fe, rolling on tundra 17s, with 33 10.50 ST Maxx. Glad she is just my weekend warrior now, would not run this setup on a DD cruiser without a re-gear, new brake over-hual, and new/upgraded steering components; which is throwing another $2 grand (ish) on top of it all. Oh, and they rust

New buyers please be forewarned: equipping a stock or near stock US 80 series produces decreased fuel economy, increased braking distance, loss of (perceived) power, and slightly altered steering. miss my aluminums honestly, but the truck looks great!

my experience is with a 3fe, rolling on tundra 17s, with 33 10.50 ST Maxx. Glad she is just my weekend warrior now, would not run this setup on a DD cruiser without a re-gear, new brake over-hual, and new/upgraded steering components; which is throwing another $2 grand (ish) on top of it all. Oh, and they rust

Good to know. This was the primary reason I was trying to get the OEM 16" steel wheels sold with the non-US market 80 Series. I am beginning to think it's not worth the hassle at this point. My alloy wheels need to be refinished but I can't have the car on jack stands for the time it would take to have them redone. If not for the previous owner's crappy black paint job, I probably wouldn't have cared. I am about to buy new tires so this would be the time to make a change on the wheels.

Why do you attribute the issues you are experiencing to the steel wheels? Anyone have the weight on an 80-series alloy vs. steelie? The steelies are made of far less material than the alloy, I don't think the weight difference is that dramatic.

decreased fuel economy, increased braking distance, loss of (perceived) power, and slightly altered steering.

But then, I saw those same effects (except MPG decrease) on alloys moving from 31s to 33s on my '92 3FE.

I love the look of the old 91-92 80S alloys. They're classic. The 93-97 80S alloys look like a poorly executed muscle car knockoff.

The most classic steel wheels for the 80, I think, are the factory steel wheels, but they're also very, very stout -- I recall they weigh nearly 44 lbs.

But then, I saw those same effects (except MPG decrease) on alloys moving from 31s to 33s on my '92 3FE.

I love the look of the old 91-92 80S alloys. They're classic. The 93-97 80S alloys look like a poorly executed muscle car knockoff.

The most classic steel wheels for the 80, I think, are the factory steel wheels, but they're also very, very stout -- I recall they weigh nearly 44 lbs.
Bigger contact pattern, more rubber mass, larger diameter... THOSE will affect braking, perceived power, steering.

I'm baffled by the fuel economy thing. My 3F (not 3FE) can't get better gas mileage no matter what I try... nor can it get worse no matter how much I load up.

Bigger contact pattern, more rubber mass, larger diameter... THOSE will affect braking, perceived power, steering.

I'm baffled by the fuel economy thing. My 3F (not 3FE) can't get better gas mileage no matter what I try... nor can it get worse no matter how much I load up.

What is the back spacing on these wheels ?

Thanks

I have a set of 4 FJ Cruiser steel wheels and BFG 315 tires. The wheels are 6x 5.5 and roughly 4.7" backspacing. They are powder coated grey. Should fit Tacoma's, FJ cruiser, original FJs as well with a small spacer. Tires have good life left, but no idea on the actual mileage.

Mud Price $1050, located in San Rafael, California

@4runner2FJ60 or anyone that might know, will the wheels you have referenced & have on your 55, fit on a stock FJ60 w/o using spacers?

I‘ve been running 33x10.5x15 for years but that size is becoming obsolete & harder to find. Thinking of moving up to 16 or 17’s.
Thanks

EDIT 12/27/21

Last edited:
And here is why I’m eventually moving up to 16’s or 17’s. The other day 5 of us ran a trail in Panamint Springs. Was not an event, just the 5 of us, but when they do have an event, this trail requirement are one locker & 35 in tires. I am running 33’s & when aired down to the mid teens I really have to watch my ground clearance.

Here are some before & after pics of my 15 in wheels after this trail. 33x15 BFG Muds are actually barely 32 inches. Once I get some 16 or 17 in wheels I can get some BFG Muds with a true 34 in size. With the lift I now have I don’t believe I can run 35’s.

Here are a couple of pics of my wheels after the beating they took and then after I hammered them back into usable shape. After the hammer repair, the wheel is not pretty…but the inside bead is useable. For now I grabbed a spare wheel I had in the garage.

After the trail.
98C53F67-2D0C-4B64-82FF-F214368D5008.png

After a few hammer blows. The inside bead is good.
A128A3CD-C42E-4B98-BC9D-43F96257F29B.jpeg

Spare wheel from the garage.
DC34C2E4-0600-4835-8F82-AAF82D407023.jpeg

@John McVicker going hard man, hope all is well with you.

Stockton 79 series Frankenstein wheels RAL7043
-16x8 +12 offset and 5 inch backspacing

HZJ105 steel wheels 42601-60580 which is also RAL7043
-16x6.5 0 offset maybe that equates to 3.75 backspacing

80 Series steel wheels 42601-60361 16x8 0 offset painted with Rusto Charcoal grey

D599F89D-BAD5-4F78-B416-F0C55331B8A3.jpeg

714ED6B0-462A-4349-A7AB-C0E94C03238B.jpeg

FF35BA68-22AE-4FEC-B3DC-053DA735DBE2.jpeg

Good looking wheels @Dilspec . Believe it or not I actually run a set of 16” Stockton steel wheels on my 40…for over 20 years…absolutely great product but also pricey. $$$

To replace my 15” wheels on my 60 I looking for something a bit less $$. The above referenced steel wheels from Summit @ $160 ea aren’t ‘that’ bad dollar wise.

Hopefully someone will chime in that has actually used them on their 60…or someone can say if the 17 OEM FJC steelies will work on a 60.

Thanks @John McVicker years ago I had Stockton widen a set of FJ40 wheels for my 60 and that worked out great.

Not many great options out there for the 60 but Nolan seems to have found a few.

Perhaps a 16 inch steel Tacoma rim may work.

B7WkqwS.jpg

g8sa72H.jpg

I had some various grays left over from painting my 40 wheels. I got a couple more names I recognized from reading here and held them against my sun baked 8b4. I used dark machine grey on my rustic green 40 and it looked good. I went with dark gray for this truck.

pldAtdu.jpg

Scuffed the wheels with maroon scotchbrite and soapy water. Rinsed and hit them with compressed air and set aside to finish air drying.

4A3PlYq.jpg

Gave them a good spray with prep spray and more compressed air before primer and first coat of color.

P8yZe8w.jpg

B7WkqwS.jpg

g8sa72H.jpg

I had some various grays left over from painting my 40 wheels. I got a couple more names I recognized from reading here and held them against my sun baked 8b4. I used dark machine grey on my rustic green 40 and it looked good. I went with dark gray for this truck.

pldAtdu.jpg

Scuffed the wheels with maroon scotchbrite and soapy water. Rinsed and hit them with compressed air and set aside to finish air drying.

4A3PlYq.jpg

Gave them a good spray with prep spray and more compressed air before primer and first coat of color.

P8yZe8w.jpg
Cherry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom