What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now that my 40 is driving down the road, some things have become evident. The main one was that I needed a new muffler:

20210429_083005_HDR.jpg

So last week I went to Huntsville Muffler and Wes took a look at it. He had me order in a Summit V-Band Clamp. Once that arrived we made the appointment for this morning. They made quick work of getting the old mufflers out from under it and proceeded to weld in the clamp. My Australian Wildcat header hangs down pretty low, so they cut some of the end off of it before welding in the clamp:

20210429_083418_HDR.jpg

I think Wes is a perfectionist, and he has all of the right tools for the job. He quickly made a straight piece of 2 1/4" pipe into a piece of art to install in my truck. I never saw a tape measure, or a mark on a pipe, he just eyeballed all of it:

20210429_085010_HDR.jpg

He pulled an AP Exhaust 6" Round by 19" long muffler off the shelf and quickly had it fitted in the correct location for my '78:

20210429_092827_HDR.jpg

I don't have the skid plate yet, but I told him about it, and he tucked the exhaust up really nice against the frame rails. Hopefully the skid plate will fit, but if not, I will take it back to Wes: (oh nevermind that background, I've got to finish that mower and clean up!)

20210429_102703_HDR.jpg

Now, I had looked into fitting some sections of pipe myself and creating an exhaust system that way. But, ultimately, I decided to bite the bullet and pay Huntsville Muffler to do the work... I hate spending money! So, what did all of that precision work done with the correct tools by experts run me? $220. That's total, parts and labor, other than the $35 V-Band Clamp I had to order. My friends, you just can't beat that! Oh, and how does it sound? IDK, I can't hear it anymore! LOL But seriously, yeah, much quieter, especially sitting at stop lights. Have a great day!

Finally installed a 4K rpm tachometer.

40TAC - Side.JPG

What a revelation! Now I know a lot more about what's going on with my engine. I can't remember the last vehicle I owned that didn't have one but I've been driving this 40 more than 20 years without one. At tune-up time I have always hooked up a temporary tach and vacuum gauge in the engine bay.

I mounted it to the steering column support under the dash as I didn't want it strapped to the column in front of the cluster. It's not like i need to monitor it every second like a drag racer. It looks kinda cramped but there really is a lot of safety room. I have flopped seat brackets and sit pretty far back so there are no interference issues even with snow boots. My view is like this...

P4150021.JPG

The tach is an Autometer 2890 Z-series. It's all I need as the cam in this engine is pretty much dead at 3200rpm. I don't think it'll ever see more than 3500. If it does I've got bigger problems than a clapped out gauge. I ran the more brightly colored wires through a short section of black shrink tubing to cut down on the visual clutter but somehow forgot to include the white dash light wire. I can live with it. No way am I de-routing that wire back out of the light switch plug just for aesthetics. If it bothers me I've got a Sharpie at the ready.

Just heard from the shop on my litany of woes: At $1K, expected to be $2k (No more than $2.5K). That will get all the work done that it needs (Turn signals, PTO leaks, radiator leaks, wiring of ignition, tail lights, emergency brake adjusted). Also includes new Grant steering wheel, tune-up, wiring of off-road lights, and a few more things.

Then I will install a center console, get a radio, new tires and should be ready to go!

Working on the wife's 4Runner today: roof top carrier and brush guard.

Got my old green/white fj55 wagon titled as a blue pickup and did a few victory laps.

shakedown 1.JPG

goggleman.JPG

Also removed the front lift leaf hangers while waiting for new weld on mounts from ruff stuff. The new leaf packs will provide the lift instead of the drop brackets. Caster should benefit also.

View attachment 2660695

Was there a shackle between the spring and the mount? Looks like a mount for a shackle reverse. Could understand the caster being off if they lower the spring mount on the front along with a shackle.

Yep. But you don’t need to take the tires off. Hopefully ordered new center pins/bolts as the old ones likely won’t be long enough with the addition of the shims. You will then need to cut off the excess length of the center pins (I use an angle grinder with a cut-off blade).
Where did you get your new center pin/ bolt? The stock ones on my new procomp leaf springs are not long enough for the shims and I could not salvage the original bolts.

Nice work! What did you use for mold release?
Thanks!
I covered the foam with aluminum tape and nothing more. It released... okay.
It took some persuasion in a couple of spots.

Nice work! What did you use for mold release?
Thanks!
I covered the foam with aluminum tape and nothing more. It released... okay.
It took some persuasion in a couple of spots.

/edit
Grrrr, double post....

Was there a shackle between the spring and the mount? Looks like a mount for a shackle reverse. Could understand the caster being off if they lower the spring mount on the front along with a shackle.

No shackle up front. It is indeed a reversal kit from long ago. I will still have the Shackle in the rear, but don't need the massive drop this front bracket provides.

Figured the issue with the transmission. Now the TPS is not happy...I just want to drive...:bang:

No shackle up front. It is indeed a reversal kit from long ago. I will still have the Shackle in the rear, but don't need the massive drop this front bracket provides.

No expert on shackle reverse but thought they all had the drop in the front to make up for the drop in the back when you lower the spring in the back by adding a shackle which was removed from the front. Thought idea of that drop was to keep the spring on a level plain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom