Stainless Steel Landcruiser Snorkels (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And starters - My starter died very shortly after that aventure.

BTW - an electric cooling fan with a manual shut off switch would save the cooling fan but there is not plug and play aftermarket that I know of.

best bet to protect the engine bay (alt, starter, fan (if shrouded correctly), but not so much the air box, is the correct crossing technique. Steady throttle to maintain a bow wake. This will creat a void in the engine bay. Once you stop or slow down all bets are off.

This is what I was asking
Full Aussie Style with a welded Stainless steel snorkel. Stainless is an option to the flooded ABS Plastic options in the market. I prefer the cleaner look of stainless versus plastic. The price is higher due to each snorkel is hand made start to finish. Rear facing, yes. Thankfully a LC doesn't and should hit triple digit speeds. No need for ram/forced air. Under acceleration a prefilter is going to be ingested into the intake.

Full Aussie Style with a welded Stainless steel snorkel. Stainless is an option to the flooded ABS Plastic options in the market. I prefer the cleaner look of stainless versus plastic. The price is higher due to each snorkel is hand made start to finish. Rear facing, yes. Thankfully a LC doesn't and should hit triple digit speeds. No need for ram/forced air. Under acceleration a prefilter is going to be ingested into the intake.
So it's just decoration compared to the plastic?

I agree. Snorkel is the most useless mod/downgrade on my truck!

Maybe in your zip code of influence but down south they are very handy at times. We get floods in Arkansas in every season and many times a snorkel reliably gets us to choice duck hunting spots.

What i’m sayin is there are plenty of folks who use snorkels all the time without any care of your situation.

So it's just decoration compared to the plastic?

Yessir. Stainless for the sake of stainless. Next stop Carbon, then off to Ti... why not some Inconel while we are at it. $3k? sounds about right.

Last edited:
I am curious as to why all the hate. This is a tough crowd. I know a few people that have these snorkels and they seem happy with the way they spent their money. I am happy for them. I don’t NEED multiple Land Cruisers, but I have them. I am sure many people think I am dumb for buying more than one 🤷🏻‍♂️

I am curious as to why all the hate. This is a tough crowd. I know a few people that have these snorkels and they seem happy with the way they spent their money. I am happy for them. I don’t NEED multiple Land Cruisers, but I have them. I am sure many people think I am dumb for buying more than one 🤷🏻‍♂️

the ol "let's support anyone who brings anything to market for us" argument. People are allowed to voice negative opinions and ask directed questions... it's the tech forum, sometimes tech is negative. Sponsored vendor forums are for advertising and marketing.

We are a very tough crowd, it's part of why the forum is so great. at least in my opinion.

the ol "let's support anyone who brings anything to market for us" argument. People are allowed to voice negative opinions and ask directed questions... it's the tech forum, sometimes tech is negative. Sponsored vendor forums are for advertising and marketing.

We are a very tough crowd, it's part of why the forum is so great. at least in my opinion.

I don’t think you have to support anyone, but to voice a negative opinion when the guy came here offering a discount seems odd. As you said though, it is a tech forum, so peddling product can certainly be seen at response worthy. It just seems odd to me to post why someone isn’t getting one themselves.

I certainly hope this forum doesn’t turn into a bunch of people talking about the mods they aren’t getting. That would be unbearable.

I don’t think you have to support anyone, but to voice a negative opinion when the guy came here offering a discount seems odd. As you said though, it is a tech forum, so peddling product can certainly be seen at response worthy. It just seems odd to me to post why someone isn’t getting one themselves.

I certainly hope this forum doesn’t turn into a bunch of people talking about the mods they aren’t getting. That would be unbearable.

I don't think it's odd at all... people come to the tech forum to learn about mods, their vehicles, and what other folks are doing / not doing / want to do / shouldn't do / how to / how not to... again, it's not the vendor forum.

I'm just clarifying that there's really no technical advantage to the stainless over the ABS. For posterity. It's fine if people like how it looks, IMO. I do plenty of dumb stuff for aesthetic reasons alone.

I'm just clarifying that there's really no technical advantage to the stainless over the ABS. For posterity. It's fine if people like how it looks, IMO. I do plenty of dumb stuff for aesthetic reasons alone.
The technical advantage of having a snorkel at all is debatable in the first place, IMHO.

Yessir. Stainless for the sake of stainless. Next stop Carbon, then off to Ti... why not some Inconel while we are at it. $3k? sounds about right.

If it were carbon I would be all in...

And, just so I don't get any "hate" that is not simply just a carbon replacement for an engine cover, that is an entire replacement carbon fiber intake plenum. Reduces weight, colder intake air temp, smoother air intake path, and increased induction noise.

Intake.jpg

In my observation there hasn't been proven advantages of using a name brand, ARB Safari snorkel over the cheaper $75 ones on ebay, so asking consumers to pay 3x more than the ARB, which is already 3x more than the perfectly functional generic one just for debatable aesthetics is a pretty sizable ask. And that is not touching the bigger debates...

The negative comments have nothing to with the vendor - we LOVE new stuff for the segment. But, this crowd differs greatly from the Wrangler crowd - decorating trucks isn't really the primary focus. Okay, sure - ladders and some other things arguably have the "Hey, look at me - I'm going on a safari" vibe. Overall, function drives form. So, any design or material that exists just because it's different - especially at a huge upcharge - is going to get some heat.

"Different" has to have a benefit. Dugan's snorkel is damn cool... low-profile, smooth, sleek. It matches the more modern lines of the GX
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 8.54.27 AM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom