V8 Heart Transplant for my California FJ60; will I pass smog? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an 84' FJ60 with the H55 5-speed. The original engine has been rebuilt a couple of times and the frame has almost 300,000 on it. I've got bad compression in three of the cylinders now and probably a lot of vacuum leaks. A buddy really talked up the LS conversion and I'm sold. But...I live in California and now I hear it might not pass visual inspection for smog. I've looked all over the Net, smog ref webpages, and this forum, and can't find any recent discussion on what to do. If I get a used LS 5.3 V8 that came from a 5 speed transmission and uses all the Chevy emissions equipment, am I good? I'm so confused.

I really have no idea about California Emissions. But there are metric sh*t tons of info on engine swaps.
dig deeper there on this website. Post up in a localish club page in the clubhouse i'm sure somebody's got the skinny on what
is and what isn't doable in California.
Best of luck to you :beer:

A 2F only needs to be rebuilt every 300,000 miles if it's done correctly.
While it's technically possible in California and legal to install a "correct" engine in the 60 that wasn't the original - the hoops & hurdles required to do so are daunting.
No matter what anyone tells you here on this forum, including me, you're at the mercy of the CARB ref when it comes time to try to get a passing grade.
You could spend a zillion dollars and a million hours installing a new engine in the 60 only to find out on judgement day that it's illegal for some obscure reason --- and end up having to sell it out of state or move.

Personally (living in CA) I wouldn't attempt it. Yes it can be done and some have managed to pass the grade - but the risk to a newbie doing it incorrectly on their own is huge.

I would only do it if a shop that's done it before on this vehicle with a known engine (crate EROD) with success did it for me.
Getting a CARB compliant sticker is key. Without it - every smog test could be your last

Why not go diesel?

Diesel Smog Test Exemption: The DMV does not require a California emission inspection (smog check) for the following types of vehicles: Any dieselcar or diesel pickup truck which is 1997 model year or older.

Why not go diesel?

Diesel Smog Test Exemption: The DMV does not require a California emission inspection (smog check) for the following types of vehicles: Any dieselcar or diesel pickup truck which is 1997 model year or older.

Problems with this:
1. You can't just tell them it's a diesel when you show up to renew tabs; they have to inspect it and approve of the swap first.
2. Acceptable engines have to be from the same class of vehicle (i.e. no 4bt from a medium-duty donor like a bread truck or an Isuzu from a genset which never had a VIN).
3. Ok, so, that means it has to just be a 'regular' car/truck donor, right? Well, it has to be from the same weight class, too, so no 6BT/Duramax/Powerstrokes/even 6.2/6.5 GM diesels, since those only ever came in 3/4- and 1-ton trucks, never the 1/2 tons which are actually in the same weight class as an FJ60.
4. Donor engine probably has to be unmodified, which probably means no adding a turbo (or bigger turbo).

Very thorough reading of the rules and regs seems to suggest that the only truly legal diesel swaps for a 60 in CA are Mercedes, VW, and some pretty garbage undersized diesels from things like old Chevy LUVs etc.

People have gotten around this, I'm pretty sure by importing rigs that were swapped (and had their fuel changed from 'G' to 'D' in less stringent states), or non-US market rigs that were imported and registered in less stringent states.

Long story short, you might get lucky and get something past the SMOG rep, but a diesel swap is absolutely not the silver bullet to avoid SMOG hassles in CA.

After reading these responses I'm so glad I left that State in 1991 and never looked back.
:beer:

Lots of haters as always when it comes to this topic. It is possible, search this forum for several experiences. Yes it does suck, and will probably take dozens to hundreds of hours of your time, but it is absolutley doable if you are motivated, do your research, and are willing to deal with the bearuacracy.

No one ever talks about it but worst case scenario you can always find a way to register your car in nevada, or another friendly state 😉

There is a really good (long!) thread detailing dealing with the referree but I can't find it, I know @MANUCHAO helped the guy with his build, maybe he can chime in?

Plenty of people find "a smog guy" that will help them pass. Most the people that I meet in person here in Cali with a LS swap take that route.

I've looked all over the Net, smog ref webpages, and this forum, and can't find any recent discussion on what to do.
I strongly suggest to go to the local to you REF up at Chaffey College...just drop by and ask away.... best to hear it from the source,and not all the 30+ flavors you will get here......,,
Continue reading up on .org or .gov sites as the .com, .net might give you inaccurate info...

It is true that every REF interprets the law differently.... some are cool cats that will help you along, and others are A$%^%les.....

FYI: Depending on the year of the engine...a 5.3 was not offered with a MT that Im aware of, but the 2010 year might of....
4.8 and 6.0 had MT the rest were all autos........

"a smog guy"
at $500 a pop when they were willing to do it yeah.... that's now just a wet dream......

With all that said... its doable and probably a lil easier if you go with an E-rod CARB EO # engine

good luck....

also:.... why not go surf the local CA clubhouse areas.....see clubhouse tab at the top of this screen. I'm sure you'll find some people there who are local to CA and may have V8 swap experience and the fun experience dealing with the state on the rules regarding emissions / inspection on a truck with a non-stock engine swap.

Alternatively, you can do an OBD I swap. Use a TBI or a TPI engine, it is not quite as cool as an LS but a WHOLE lot easier to get a BAR cert with OBD I swap. MT trans is no prob with an OBD I swap too. The power and mileage is slightly down from the cool kids OBD II (LS swap), but at the end of the day you have a smog legal V8 F60.
Dyno

I am doing rhe swap right bow. The obly thinkmg I am worried about is the manifolds. The truck manifolds will not work. Make sure u are running all smog equipment and o2s are same distance on the Y pipe. You need to do a ton of research.

Plenty of people find "a smog guy" that will help them pass. Most the people that I meet in person here in Cali with a LS swap take that route.
To bad it’s not an 83. Good chance the law is about to change. There is a hearing in March to move the date to 83.

Regarding the diesel...
Didn’t Dodge put a 4bt in one of its light weight pick ups?

@Jasonredwood its not the smog you need to worry about it’s the CARB inspection... getting it registered for the very first time. Like you said... You can pay people for the smog.

I doubt it will ever change in Califonia. The Democrats will not approve it

It's about finance... I spoke to Georg as well about this. It's becoming to expensive for Smog stations and the state to test/enforce these laws. Hence the motivation to move to 83.

It's about finance... I spoke to Georg as well about this. It's becoming to expensive for Smog stations and the state to test/enforce these laws. Hence the motivation to move to 83.
Hoping this is the case.

This bill has been floating around forever. Democrats dont care about the expense. They want the vehicles off the road. If it is truly about cost, they would exempt all vehicles that have to do the dyno. I hope it happens but I doubt it will.

This bill has been floating around forever. Democrats dont care about the expense. They want the vehicles off the road. If it is truly about cost, they would exempt all vehicles that have to do the dyno. I hope it happens but I doubt it will.

The State would be in for a bit of a fight from us car guys. The Smog shops don't want to pay for this equip any more due to the sheer lack of customers that need this type of test. We're obviously a dying breed. So what then? The state bans all of them? Jay Leno will lose his sh!t! The state offers their own brand of smog shops? I doubt it... We'll see what happens. I guess like you... I don't have hi hopes. But one can dream...

Problems with this:
1. You can't just tell them it's a diesel when you show up to renew tabs; they have to inspect it and approve of the swap first.
2. Acceptable engines have to be from the same class of vehicle (i.e. no 4bt from a medium-duty donor like a bread truck or an Isuzu from a genset which never had a VIN).
3. Ok, so, that means it has to just be a 'regular' car/truck donor, right? Well, it has to be from the same weight class, too, so no 6BT/Duramax/Powerstrokes/even 6.2/6.5 GM diesels, since those only ever came in 3/4- and 1-ton trucks, never the 1/2 tons which are actually in the same weight class as an FJ60.
4. Donor engine probably has to be unmodified, which probably means no adding a turbo (or bigger turbo).

Very thorough reading of the rules and regs seems to suggest that the only truly legal diesel swaps for a 60 in CA are Mercedes, VW, and some pretty garbage undersized diesels from things like old Chevy LUVs etc.

People have gotten around this, I'm pretty sure by importing rigs that were swapped (and had their fuel changed from 'G' to 'D' in less stringent states), or non-US market rigs that were imported and registered in less stringent states.

Long story short, you might get lucky and get something past the SMOG rep, but a diesel swap is absolutely not the silver bullet to avoid SMOG hassles in CA.

Correct even the new Cummins R2.8 is not an approved CA diesel from my last week conversation with the local REF. However he said that some refs shops just hear it and stamp the paper. You could get lucky....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom