Will desmogged 60 pass Vermont inspection? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been thinking of the potential purchase of a 60 or 80. Growing up my grandfather had a 65 Fj40 soft top and a 74, both bought new.
Now that I’ve retired I think I’d like to rekindle the LC relationship.
I see that Vermont is a CARB state but not sure how that applies to older vehicles. From what I’ve been able to find it looks like if the vehicle originally had a catalytic converter it would need to have one to pass state inspection, but I haven’t seen any mention of egr, smog pump, etc. Does anyone know if they dig that deep?

I know in MA we have emissions testing on vehicles 15y/o or newer, but anything past that is exempt. Vermont seems to be less regulated in general so if I don't have to worry about my 60 or 80 in MA, there's a good chance you won't have to worry about either in VT.

I know in MA we have emissions testing on vehicles 15y/o or newer, but anything past that is exempt. Vermont seems to be less regulated in general so if I don't have to worry about my 60 or 80 in MA, there's a good chance you won't have to worry about either in VT.
Good to hear. Thank you!

There's plenty of official info on the web.

here's one link

There's plenty of official info on the web.

here's one link

Thanks. As it would pertain to a 60, I interpret that to say that the only requirement for a 60 would be a functional cat and gas cap, along with no check engine light. Seems weird that it says the only smog exempt vehicle is 1940 and older.

Thanks. As it would pertain to a 60, I interpret that to say that the only requirement for a 60 would be a functional cat and gas cap, along with no check engine light. Seems weird that it says the only smog exempt vehicle is 1940 and older.
That's specifically for "exhibition" vehicles, whatever that means. The first paragraph says only vehicles 1996 or newer need smog. You just need to pass a safety inspection it sounds like.

A desmogged 60 will pass inspection in Vermont. There is no emission testing on old vehicles and most shops won’t even notice a cat missing. Newer cars don’t have an em mission sniffer test but the ecu had to pass a validation test to show all the emission components are working. But on cars 15 years and older (iirc) they are exempt from this.

Many people who mod there cars here run fake cats that are either hollowed out or have a pass through pipe. Or they put a legit cat on for inspection and swap after.

T
A desmogged 60 will pass inspection in Vermont. There is no emission testing on old vehicles and most shops won’t even notice a cat missing. Newer cars don’t have an em mission sniffer test but the ecu had to pass a validation test to show all the emission components are working. But on cars 15 years and older (iirc) they are exempt from this.

Many people who mod there cars here run fake cats that are either hollowed out or have a pass through pipe. Or they put a legit cat on for inspection and swap after.
Thank you! I feel better hearing that based on experience. Some of the official rules sounded kind of ambiguous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom