Highway driving etiquette (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife just got a job with Cartoon Network, which means I'll be moving to Atlanta. I daily drive my FJ60, but I'm driving on country roads in Ohio. I rarely have anyone behind me to slow up. My question is how many upset drivers will I have behind me on 285 in Atlanta? Do any of you guys drive on busy highways? Should I make a witty sign for my back window explaining I'm at top speed? The previous owner put on a few NRA and Gadsen flag stickers which I left on. They seem to prevent other motorists from expressing their displeasure with me. I welcome any advice or suggestions for clever window sign messages. Cheers.

Sounds good to me. A few NRA stickers and a funny one saying you're already flooring it. And if you can read this you're too close. Just keep to the right lane and you're fully legal.

I'm regularly on the interstates and it's fine, I just pretend that I'm a big ol' semi trailer truck and hang out in the right or second from the right lane. Although the speed limit for trailers is 55 in California so with a big gap I can make a passing move.

Lots of careful driving and watching ahead for traffic but it works alright. There's always the folks going 85mph +, just let them pass and do their thing.

Also.....

FAST TRACTOR

You'll be fine, especially on multi-lane highways. On single lane roads, just be courteous and if cars pile up, use turn outs.

full steel armor like bumpers, sliders, rear 1/4 guards and a variety of some good size wheeling dents to show you're not afraid to takes some hits did the trick for me until I put the V8 in. Especially around town when you need to get over two lanes.

I stick to the slow lanes and keep my distance from the drivers in front of me. Its fine. Not sure that stickers would make a difference here in LA but what ever helps.

When I'm feeling particularly obnoxious, I smoke them out by rolling coal, they either go around or back off really quickly. Otherwise, I rely on my NRA and USMC stickers.

I find that folks drive so slow and stupid around here as to have the slowness of the Cruiser not be an issue. Constant traffic means I am most times forced to drive well under the Cruisers top speed anyways. Maybe its an issue on the interstate on long trips but even there I find I pass as many folks as pass me. The only thing I run into is people getting around me because of the time it takes me to get up to speed. A lot of folks getting around me and closely cutting me off. Be ready with the brakes.

These 60 series get a bad rap on here about how slow they are. They are not race cars granted but are perfectly suited to highway travel. You'll be fine. HTH.

You will just be another obstacle for the high speed drivers when traffic is moving and sitting still with everyone else when it is not. Get to know alternate routes no matter what.
I haven't lived near there in years so maybe some Atl drivers can chime in.

Tell your wife this is why you NEEEEEEEEEED an H55F five speed. (for safety sake) And with her new income I'm sure she could help you out!

Last edited:
The 60 might be a slow SUV but there's plenty of slower trucks on the road than it. There is absolutely nothing to be concerned about

What do you think is your max speed?

Tell your wife this is why you NEEEEEEEEEED an H55F five speed. (for safety sake) And with her new income I'm sure she could help you out!

Stock the H55F had 4.11:1 diff gears. Not sure a H42 with stock 3.70:1 would have that much higher RPM on the highway.

Curious how the OP cruiser is set up. If stock and can't keep up with highway traffic in town would say fix what's wrong. In heavy town traffic on the Phoenix freeways had no problem with a stock 68 FJ40 including a one barrel carburetor. Freeway traffic doesn't move that fast during rush hour traffic. Off hours plenty traffic is light enough to go around. Same with the freeway out of the city. If a bunch of weight has been added or much larger tires than either add more power, move back to stock or use a different vehicle for your commute.

On relatively flat highways your FJ60 should easily do 75 mph. Assuming a stock vehicle.

Everyone always seems to be in a rush no matter where you are or what you drive. Personally, I take the tact of yeah, whatever, you can deal with it.

late for work.jpg

late for work.jpg

I once saw a bumper sticker on a VW hippie bus that said: "0-60 in 10 minutes" I've always thought that would work on my 60.

Don’t worry. There is no rhyme or reason to how anyone drives in Atlanta. Nothing you do will be a problem and everything you do will be a problem.

I'm not going to blow smoke and tell you it will be fine because that just might not be true. Atlanta sucks. The traffic sucks. Being from Atlanta I can honestly tell you you will be hard pressed to find anyone here that is actually from here. I know no one in my immediate social circle who is. People from all over hell and creation bring their bad driving habits here. Throw in a corrupt beyond belief city government, a healthy and thriving illegal immigrant population, permanent road construction and depending on where you live, 2 hour commutes.
I drive my cruiser twice a week and never on the freeway. You will get run over I don't care how big your cruiser is. Sure you can get around but it's not easy cruising. People expect to go 0-50 no matter what lane you are in. Sure, they will go around you too and cut back over so dangerously close that you will be standing on those AWESOME Landcruiser brakes once or twice a day.
You'll get used to it. You will also get a routine down that will make your driving experience better. You asked about 285 specifically and honestly the traffic is usually staning still, at least 4 hours a day so. Another highway to avoid at all costs is GA400.
Sorry I can't paint a rosy picture for you, but traffic wise this place sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom