Suggestions for transmission cooler and radiator upgrade to improve highway cruising speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last fall when driving my 88 FJ62 from Wisconsin to PA the transmission temperature light came on after 4 or five hours of highway driving at 70 mph or so. when I mentioned it on my introductory post on this site, someone mentioned a transmission cooler. Searching at the time I recall finding threads where it was suggested to route the tranny cooler through the radiator. i can’t find the exact thread now, unfortunately.

im looking for a suggestion for what make/model transmission cooler to install, and whether I should look at an upgrade to the radiator. Linking me to a good existing thread would be perfect. Thanks in advance.

Last fall when driving my 88 FJ62 from Wisconsin to PA the transmission temperature light came on after 4 or five hours of highway driving at 70 mph or so. when I mentioned it on my introductory post on this site, someone mentioned a transmission cooler. Searching at the time I recall finding threads where it was suggested to route the tranny cooler through the radiator. i can’t find the exact thread now, unfortunately.

im looking for a suggestion for what make/model transmission cooler to install, and whether I should look at an upgrade to the radiator. Linking me to a good existing thread would be perfect. Thanks in advance.

I don't have one that nice on my truck (same year/model as yours). I have a big generic one that a buddy sourced for me.

If you want to get a good one, check out the link above.

I believe that Georg at Valley Hybrids will be your source for the Australian coolers, here in the U.S.

Sorry for the quick follow-up. Have you checked your ATF? It might well be burned up. Pull the dip-stick and give it a sniff if you haven't already.

Here's some posts from my build site about keeping tranny running cool.

Transmission temp gauge added. Builds - Sentimental Restoration of Family 1990 FJ62 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sentimental-restoration-of-family-1990-fj62.1095049/page-10#post-14113181

Good luck. :)

Pretty sure it'd in the faq section frequently asked questions
True, but I know of no one else who has utilized as many steps in tandem (trans cooler with active fan in series with aluminum radiator, heat shield from exhaust, Rodney flush, synthetic ATF fluid, full-time temp gauge) and operating temps as low (145F to 165F under mountain highway conditions).

my 2 cents, the biggest cooler you can stuff into the space you've got. what brand? i can't really say as i've not run automagics since i got out of big block powered street cars 25 yrs ago. back then i ran the largest cooler i could from i believe hayden. never used the stock coolers at all. like i said, my 2 cents

I use Derale coolers with -6AN fittings

116902951_3543039079060291_6112688951530649191_n.jpg

117089660_3543038895726976_3677727996046501583_n.jpg

Just put a Tru-cool 40K on this 62 we are finishing up here. Minor mods to hood latch brace required.

9CEB5814-4C8E-405C-BAD5-774DED5290D7.jpeg

0EAD758A-AA18-4BBA-B504-F80AB764B825.jpeg

Last edited:
Good idea welding the gusset to the brace to retain stability rather than just notching it and hoping it holds.

Yeah the hood latches don't work well without that brace. I am considering manufacturing an entirely new brace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom