24V going to 32 while driving, 0 when stopped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My HJ61 12HT has some questionable wiring done to it in the past, but has been very reliable until recently. I don't have a multimeter yet, so I haven't taken readings of anything, just getting advice.

In the past 2 months on road trips the voltmeter on the dash will sit steady at 24V (middle) on start and nose upwards the longer and faster I drive. It will visibly dip lower when I come off gas or shift. It has now died in the garage despite me starting it daily. Yesterday the engine ran but all electrics died in the garage; like radio cut off, dash gauge meter read 0, clock went blank, but the engine ran just fine for about 25 seconds, then everything came back on like nothing was wrong. Now right (Japan driver side) battery is dead dead and left (Japan pass side) battery is low.

Is this an alternator issue or something else? Seems like the engine is deciding how much power goes to entire system with nothing storing/distributing power correctly. Electrics are my weak point in cars; I just cant wrap my brain around them for some reason so apologies if this is a simple issue I just cant figure out.

Just in case, I'll include this: I had a modern radio put in professionally a few months back to replace the busted one PO installed (incorrectly, he put in a 12V radio in 24V car with no reducer) but the issue has only started months later, so shouldn't be related?

hello fellow 24v 12ht driver! I sounds like (a) the voltage regulator for the alternator has stopped working properly, or (b) the shop that installed the stereo goofed something up. If they aren't familiar with a 24v system, they may have run wiring incorrectly. Sadly, I'm not a proper "sparky" either, I hope someone else smarter chimes in. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom