SD-40 Possible Production pt.2 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My thinking is the mold/tooling would need to be similar in design to a garlic press. Something that could clamp down on the molten glass and squeeze off the excess to form the outer edge. Is the melting point of aluminum too close to glass to be used as the mold making material?

Edit/update: Used the "Google" to find the information. The melting point of Aluminum is 1,221°F and the melting point of Glass is 2,800 °F. Aluminum would be easier to machine, the molten glass would destroy an aluminum mold.

Last edited:
Have you considered slump glass? i think even at $100 each it would be worth it

I just sent them an email. I am also seeing if I could get a friend to machine the molds. I have access to a kiln to glass slump the glass and have purchased borosilicate glass for the windows. I just need to cut them to shape. This is not my number one priority atm so it has taken a little bit of a back seat.

So I have made some progress on the glass window project. See the following pictures:
Loading it into the CNC program
upload_2018-8-13_12-39-16.png

upload_2018-8-13_12-39-34.png

upload_2018-8-13_12-39-48.png

upload_2018-8-13_12-40-4.png

upload_2018-8-13_12-40-14.png

Attempt number 1. I tried to use just one half of the mold and slump using an oxy acetylene torch.
upload_2018-8-13_12-41-0.png

upload_2018-8-13_12-41-14.png

Some definition but the sides did not work out as I expected. The oxy acetylene torch pushed the glass inwards.

upload_2018-8-13_12-42-2.png

Test 2 with a home made kiln and both mold halves.
upload_2018-8-13_12-42-26.png

making slow progress but am still having some trouble with evenly heating the casting.

upload_2018-8-13_12-43-4.png

Just what you’ve done so far is super-fricking cool.

:clap::clap::clap:

Why do you think the mold is scrap?

Just a thought but why not go ahead on making the blue plate and increase the price of production to help cover the cost of the professional mold made. I do not know how many large window carbuetors I have (5 or 6?) but all have good glass it's plates I need. Guessing others are in the same boat. Wouldn't might a reasonable price hike to help fund the glass project. Might do a survey to see how many plate people want to get a idea.

Just a thought but why not go ahead on making the blue plate and increase the price of production to help cover the cost of the professional mold made. I do not know how many large window carbuetors I have (5 or 6?) but all have good glass it's plates I need. Guessing others are in the same boat. Wouldn't might a reasonable price hike to help fund the glass project. Might do a survey to see how many plate people want to get a idea.

I plan on producing the blue plate too. One thing at a time. I am in need of both and the glass window is more important to me atm. Once I get to the point, I would need a volunteer to let me borrow a plate. I do not believe @Trollhole has a plate that I can borrow. (he let me borrow a glass window). I have access to a press and laser so producing that plate shouldn't be too difficult... I hope...

I plan on producing the blue plate too. One thing at a time. I am in need of both and the glass window is more important to me atm. Once I get to the point, I would need a volunteer to let me borrow a plate. I do not believe @Trollhole has a plate that I can borrow. (he let me borrow a glass window). I have access to a press and laser so producing that plate shouldn't be too difficult... I hope...

I'm not in any hurry for the plates. Had many of these carbuetors since the last century. My thoughts was since it is a related item being same location on the same carbuetors and think the volume of plate will well exceed glass it may be a way to help funded the glass project. Thought the biggest hold up of having a company make them was cost of the mold? Waiting until later and paying less wouldn't bother me.

Believe the paint and lettering will be the biggest challenge on the plates unless you have already figured that out.

I would say glass first. You need the glass to make the carb work. The plate is for looks not as important in my eyes.

/this\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom