Should I get All Terrain Tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yep, I looked through the FAQ, searched a bunch, and what I've found is there are a lot of opinions on tires, and tire sizes, and it's all quite confusing.

I am sorry for beating a dead horse... but with all the information available I findy myself unable to make any decisions. Analysis paralysis - Wikipedia

HELP!

I'm currently equipped with 275/60-18 Michelin Latitude Touring HP tires. I believe most of my driving will be on asphalt, dirt roads, beaches / sand, cobblestone and gravel (in that order). I don't have any plans to go rock climbing with this truck, and it's intended to take my family on adventures and places normal vehicles can't go.

I've already driven around the 4x4 only beaches in Nantucket on these tires and did not have any issues, and the sand was very soft, deep and wet (it was raining). I just deflated to 12-15psi, and engaged the center diff. Never had to use Low, and never felt like I was going to get stuck.

So, my question to you all: should I get All Terrain Tires? The two I'm considering are
  • Continental TerrainContact A/T
  • BFG A/T KO2 (what is recommended most of the time)
Low tire noise is important to me, and I'd like to keep it quiet on asphalt. I am using this truck as my daily driver. These two tires seem to have great reviews online, and provide good traction all year round and on many different terrains, and people mostly say they are quiet.

Most threads reccomend 16 inch wheels, or using Tundra wheels. But I have stock Toyota LC 18 inch wheels, and unless I find a crazy deal on Craigslist, don't want to buy a second set.

There wasn't a definitive answer that most agreed on regarding 18 inch wheels. Just a lot of varying opinions.

The FAQ states 285/65-18 is "the biggest you can go," but that's not exactly what I'm asking. The FAQ doesn't specify a tire of that size that definitely will fit without rubbing on sharp turns, or popping off my stock rims, etc. Others have also recommended 275/70-18. Most have said you definitely want at least 33 inches, but going over 32 will start to impact gas mileage and and the speedometer reading.

So, given the type of driving and terrains I plan to drive on:
  • Is it worthwhile to upgrade to All Terrain tires?
  • What size A/T tires should I get?
  • Should I increase the width? Increase the height?
  • Should I just get new wheels too and widen the stance? I'm kind of leaning this way... Unless the standard 18 inch rims can fit a 285/65-18 tire.
  • Or... Should I stick with my current highway/touring tires?
Interestingly enough, when I search Tirerack or local stores for A/T tires in 275/60-18, nothing comes up...

Thank you for your time!

TLDR/Update: I went with the Continental TerrainContact AT tires. I’ve put about 4000 miles on them, and am very happy with my choice. When the tires on my wife’s Tiguan are due for a change, I will be buying the contis for it as well.

Last edited:
Something to consider is whether you stay with a standard load tire vs a Load Eange E tire. Most KO2s in the sizes 100 series guys buy are Load Range E. These have much thicker sidewalls, which are great for puncture resistance, but also stiffen up the ride quality of the vehicle.

Maybe upgrade to a very mild A/T that is still a standard load in the stock size? Cooper Discoverer AT3 comes to mind. Unless your main goal is off road capability I just Wouldn't worry about stuffing the biggest tire possible.

Also FWIW LC 18s and Tundra 18s are basically the same specs. us 98-02 guys that have 16" factory rims often go buy tundra 18s for the stock style in the larger size. So disregard that.

I know some won't agree, but if you don't do any rocks the Michelin LTX A/T is actually a great tire. Not the best in terms of off road puncture resistance...but then again our ranch truck has them and we beat the you know what out of that thing and they've been great. We want to pop one to put some KO2's on it but we literally cant. Wee have jagged rocks and cacti all over the property.

I always look at it like this...... Its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. As far as road noise is concerned I have ran yokohama Geolander AT-S for a while and its not noticeable at all. Mine are a 285/75-16 there is no rubbing at factory ride height and I've had it flexed as far a possible. Gas mileage is not good to begin with, but the tires being bigger hasn't changed it enough to make a difference IMO.

Maybe upgrade to a very mild A/T that is still a standard load in the stock size? Cooper Discoverer AT3 comes to mind. Unless your main goal is off road capability I just Wouldn't worry about stuffing the biggest tire possible.

That's a good idea. I am bit worried about puncturing the Latitude street tires I have on there now.

Also FWIW LC 18s and Tundra 18s are basically the same specs. us 98-02 guys that have 16" factory rims often go buy tundra 18s for the stock style in the larger size. So disregard that.

Thank you for clarifying this!

I know some won't agree, but if you don't do any rocks the Michelin LTX A/T is actually a great tire. Not the best in terms of off road puncture resistance...but then again our ranch truck has them and we beat the you know what out of that thing and they've been great. We want to pop one to put some KO2's on it but we literally cant. Wee have jagged rocks and cacti all over the property.

The local tire shop has these, and wants $300 each.. o_O

The local tire shop has these, and wants $300 each.. o_O

I just saw discount tire has them for $228 each in 275/65r18 which could be a great middle-ground size between stock and the biggest possible. They have both E1 and SL in that size. after the tire size look for "E1" or "SL" some tires will come in both in the same size. Load range E tires tend to be notably mre expensive too.

P 275 /65 R18 114T SL BSW TM $228
LT275 /65 R18 123R E1 RWL $241

The "P" is a passenger tire, the "LT" is a light truck tire (like a 3/4 ton pickup for example that needs a higher-ply tire to hold more pressure and support more weight)

If you don't need or want an A/T, consider the Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 275/65/18. It's a 32" vs the factory 31".

I ran these prior to jumping over to 33" KO2s and my wife currently has them on her Acadia. They're super smooth, quiet, and have solid all-season traction. Check the reviews on Tirerack (they used to be called the LTX MS2 so those reviews would also apply).

edit, just saw that @atnolan94 the Michelins too.

Last edited:
If you don't need or want an A/T, consider the Michelin Defender LTX in 275/65/18. It's a 32" vs the factory 31".

I ran these prior to jumping over to 33" KO2s and my wife currently has them on her Acadia. They're super smooth, quiet, and have solid all-season traction. Check the reviews on Tirerack (they used to be called the LTX MS2 so those reviews would also apply).

edit, just saw that @atnolan94 suggested these too.

Thanks! I think I want A/T.

Last edited:
Low tire noise is important to me, and I'd like to keep it quiet on asphalt. I am using this truck as my daily driver. These two tires seem to have great reviews online, and provide good traction all year round and on many different terrains, and people mostly say they are quiet.

Most threads reccomend 16 inch wheels, or using Tundra wheels. But I have stock Toyota LC 18 inch wheels, and unless I find a crazy deal on Craigslist, don't want to buy a second set.

There wasn't a definitive answer that most agreed on regarding 18 inch wheels. Just a lot of varying opinions.

The FAQ states 285/65-18 is "the biggest you can go," but that's not exactly what I'm asking. The FAQ doesn't specify a tire of that size that definitely will fit without rubbing on sharp turns, or popping off my stock rims, etc. Others have also recommended 275/70-18. Most have said you definitely want at least 33 inches, but going over 32 will start to impact gas mileage and and the speedometer reading.

So, given the type of driving and terrains I plan to drive on:
  • Is it worthwhile to upgrade to All Terrain tires?
  • What size A/T tires should I get?
  • Should I increase the width? Increase the height?
  • Should I just get new wheels too and widen the stance? I'm kind of leaning this way... Unless the standard 18 inch rims can fit a 285/65-18 tire.
  • Or... Should I stick with my current highway/touring tires?
Interestingly enough, when I search Tirerack or local stores for A/T tires in 275/60-18, nothing comes up...

Thank you for your time!

BFG KO2, even with an E load rating are quiet and comfortable tires, IMO. The Michelin LTX A/T are the only other tire I would consider.

Use whatever wheels you have now. 18 is fine, even for crawling.

I currently have LT275/70R-18 BFGOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 E Rated. (copied from my Tire Rack invoice)

There is ZERO rubbing at any time on road or off road. No modification is required to run that size tire under any circumstance. Period. You will lose some mileage. I lost 1-2 MPG going from stock size to the 275/70/18. It's a worthy trade-off for me. You will also lose some acceleration and braking performance. It's just more mass, further from the center of the wheel. If that stuff matters, go slightly smaller - closer to OEM size.

275/285 doesn't matter, IMO. That's a marginal difference.

I see the BFG KO2 as having nearly no negative trait compared to highway tires. They will perform well on pavement, have relatively little noise difference and last as long or longer than most highway tires.

Forget wider wheels, unless you want the aesthetic upgrade.

I think I covered all your questions.

I'd recommend you check out the Cooper Discoverer AT3 and BFG Rugged Trail. I've had both of those tires and found them to be great tires on and off the street (light to medium off pavement use). Both those tires are less aggressive than the BFG AT KO3, but I also think they ride better on pavement and make less noise.

You're on the right track asking these questions, IMHO. Most just go with the burliest tire they can find, which is usually a Load Range E 275/70R18 (nothing wrong with that approach either). I did a lot of off-road driving (sand and gravel mostly, some rocks) on normal highway Toyo Open Country HTs, without any issues. In fact highway tires are better in soft sand than AT or certainly mud tires due to the larger surface area and shallower tread blocks (my personal experience). What caused me to switch to AT is the uncertainty of surfaces you're likely to find off-road.

KO2s have had a lot of R&D money poured into them by BFG (Michelin) and definitely the best available amongst the current range. I didn't want to spend quite that much so I went with the Cooper Adventurer AT in 275/65R18. They are silent on-road and perform well off-road. They are about 5lbs heavier than similar-sized highway tires, which is probably an indication that the sidewalls are stronger. I had trouble finding any info about the Conti TerrainContact but they seem very mild.

Of course, any desire to upsize the tire width or height has more to do with looks and perception than measurable performance gains so that is an emotional decision.

I did a TON of research before I bought new tires as well, it was exhausting. But, in the end, went with the Continentals you refer to above. I wanted and AT tire, not to lose any additional gas mileage and something that was quiet on the road (where I drive most) – the Continental checked all the boxes for me and I liked the look over the others as well. I have zero regrets. Don't get me wrong, I really like the look and what all the reviewers said about the BFG's, I just didn't need the extra heft. I went up one size from stock and really like it – almost perfect to me. My 2 cents.

I just went through the same dilemma. I’m also in the northeast and won’t be rock crawling. But I do want them to be dirt road and snow worthy.

The 275/60-18 is not a common size so finding a decent tire in that size with a decent price can be tough. Check out 275/65-18 as it’s much more common as Tundra’s have them and so do F150’s. The width is the same but they are roughly 3/4” taller. If my numbers are correct, multiply your miles driven by 1.0343 then divide by gallons used to figure out your actual mileage.

I ended up with the LT275/65-18 E rated Goodyear Trailrunner AT from Sam’s Club. $209 per tire with a 55k mile warranty. I wanted the E rated tire as I’ll be pulling a camper.

I forgot to add that the type of tire you choose will depend also on your fully-loaded weight and driving style. If you are significantly below GVW you really dont need a Load Range E tire. If you are a conservative driver choosing to drive around obstacles or picking line carefully, you dont need a Load Range E tire either. If you dont meet either of those conditions then choose a E rated tire.

Thanks! I'm not too concerned about having the larger tire look. I just want to be sure that if I get stuck somewhere, it's because of my own stupidity opposed to the tires.

The highway tires actually did really well on the soft beach sand. I was mainly worried about punctures on the dirt and rocky roads driven on to get to the beaches (several miles).

I've heard good things about Cooper tires.

I think I'm leaning towards 275/65-18 based on several people's responses so far.

You're on the right track asking these questions, IMHO. Most just go with the burliest tire they can find, which is usually a Load Range E 275/70R18 (nothing wrong with that approach either). I did a lot of off-road driving (sand and gravel mostly, some rocks) on normal highway Toyo Open Country HTs, without any issues. In fact highway tires are better in soft sand than AT or certainly mud tires due to the larger surface area and shallower tread blocks (my personal experience). What caused me to switch to AT is the uncertainty of surfaces you're likely to find off-road.

KO2s have had a lot of R&D money poured into them by BFG (Michelin) and definitely the best available amongst the current range. I didn't want to spend quite that much so I went with the Cooper Adventurer AT in 275/65R18. They are silent on-road and perform well off-road. They are about 5lbs heavier than similar-sized highway tires, which is probably an indication that the sidewalls are stronger. I had trouble finding any info about the Conti TerrainContact but they seem very mild.

Of course, any desire to upsize the tire width or height has more to do with looks and perception than measurable performance gains so that is an emotional decision.

Or if you want to just drive straight over everything without worrying about it? :p

The truck is mostly stock, so I don't think weight should be a concern for now... At least not in the time it would take me to go through a set of tires. Maybe by then I would consider modding for an overland type build.

I forgot to add that the type of tire you choose will depend also on your fully-loaded weight and driving style. If you are significantly below GVW you really dont need a Load Range E tire. If you are a conservative driver choosing to drive around obstacles or picking line carefully, you dont need a Load Range E tire either. If you dont meet either of those conditions then choose a E rated tire.

Thanks! I'm not too concerned about having the larger tire look. I just want to be sure that if I get stuck somewhere, it's because of my own stupidity opposed to the tires.

The highway tires actually did really well on the soft beach sand. I was mainly worried about punctures on the dirt and rocky roads driven on to get to the beaches (several miles).

I've heard good things about Cooper tires.

I think I'm leaning towards 275/65-18 based on several people's responses so far.

275/65r18 is the stock size for basically every 4x4 1/2 ton pickup.... supply and demand means you have a ton of options at low prices at your disposal in that size.

To echo @suprarx7nut I run the KO2 and I don't think they ride bad at all. They wear great. Great traction in all conditions including sand and mud and snow. It's a great tire. But they do ride stiff. Stiff and bad aren't always the same thing!

275/65r18 is the stock size for basically every 4x4 1/2 ton pickup.... supply and demand means you have a ton of options at low prices at your disposal in that size.

To echo @suprarx7nut I run the KO2 and I don't think they ride bad at all. They wear great. Great traction in all conditions including sand and mud and snow. It's a great tire. But they do ride stiff. Stiff and bad aren't always the same thing!

Thanks everyone! It seems like based on my projected usage, I should go with 275/65r18 A/Ts.

I'm still wondering if I should do SL or E. Seems like E would be more robust / durable. Is there any advantage or disadvantage with E over SL in terms of sidewall toughness while airing down for beach driving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom