Tie rod replacement advice......my rod is bent :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title states.....my tie rod is bent and is contacting my drive shaft at certain steering angles. I was walking by my truck yesterday and noticed something shiny and not covered in mud underneath that caught my eye. It was spinning metal contacting stationary metal.

Anyway after some thread searching I've learned that as usual places like trail gear and what not are junk. I don't want to go through the trouble of reaming for the 1 ton TRE's. I think my final decision is to get a new rod from Slee and then order up the 555 ends from cruiser outfitters. Can anyone think of any reason that this isn't a good route, or suggest a better route? Most of my wheeling is mild with some occasional rocks that I encounter down in KY.

Cruiser Outfitters

Slee - Steering products

0858E049-17FE-4A09-A5C6-7539DFD34B80.jpeg

Threads are always better with pics.

You can buy tube and weld it yourself with the fj80 inserts. Or just straighten that one out. Or get some aluminum bar stock and tap on both ends.

Tie rods are disposable parts to some extent.

My welding skills are there, but somewhat limited. I wouldn’t trust myself to weld life critical things such as steering components. Not sure if I have a BFH big enough to straighten it out. I’d mostly just like to order something that’s ready to bolt in. This is somewhat of a daily driver for me at the moment. Trying to track down the bar stock or someone to weld for me isn’t in the cards for me at the moment. When I get another car up and running for daily driving then I can have the cruiser down for longer periods of time.

Last edited:
When I bent mine I replaced it with a budbuilt tie rod and new 555 ends. It worked well but was overkill. I have heard a few recommendations to stick with oem Since an oem tie rod will typically bend before something else much more expensive. Sort of like a fuse for your steering.

buy one from the dealer? or a used one?

The dealer? I can’t even imagine the price on that. Lol

$238.00 plus shipping from Toyotakissmyas.com

As was mentioned, it’s a fuse. Buy another stock one. A used one from a junkyard.

I would jump on car-part.com, search for a more commonly listed part (because nobody bothers to list tie rods), then email a few of the yards and ask about rods.

I got a new one from Parts Geek for $70 shipped and added 555 ends to it.

I built my tie rod after bending the stock rod. I don’t have a place close by that will sell such a tiny amount of DOM 1.25”d.250 wall so I ordered from the net. The price was fare and I think shipping was free. By th time I bought the weld-in ends with proper threads, I could have just bought the Slee tie rod. I spent exactly the same money. It was fun welding it up and now knowing my work will hold up but damn.....

Needless to say I simply ordered my drag link from slee.

I don’t know if it really matters but Slee advertises theirs as .219 wall , which I’ve never heard of, whereas the one I built is a full 1/4” wall.

I have beaten my tie rod on rocks. and it’s still straight. It will actually flex up, hit the diff and come back. My rod ends are Joint Fuji purchased from SOR.

Last edited:
I don't remember it being expensive at the dealer $30-40

I just replaced mine with a MOOG sleeves and new TREs since my old TREs would not budge. $55 on Amazon for the sleeve.

I like the Toyota tie rod ends over the 555, and I run slee rods, if your bending stock rods I would upgrade I wheel hard and have yet to break steering box or twist the shaft, my buddie has bent a slee rod and not twisted the steering sector shaft. You just have to be smart and not expect the truck to turn hard when you have it locked in between or jammed into a rock. Slee sells the yota ends too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom