Relay rod end seized to relay rod, replacement options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I need to replace a relay rod end found to be loose during an annual state safety inspection.

A quick call to Cruiser Outfitters and I had the parts in hand in a couple of days.

I got the relay rod off the vehicle and the pitman arm rod end came out fine with a little kroil and a pipe wrench (very little force), but the ofher end is seized solid.

I tried kroil, heat, tapping, large pipe wrenches, etc., but all I've managed to do is gouge the shaft where I had it clamped in the vice.

So, I guess it is new relay rod time (and maybe a matching tie rod while I'm at it).

Are Slee and Budbuilt the main upgrade options? Budbuilt has the typical wait time. Looks like Front Range has an offering, but it has oversized threads? I already have a full set of 555 tie rod/relay rod ends from Cruiser Outfitters on hand. Marlin crawler is out of stock.

OEM seems available too, but for the price I can get an upgraded part for less.

Any options I'm missing?

This will be used offroad extensively and will bounce off rocks, in case that matters.

Any other advice?

Last edited:
Great idea, but I don't trust my welding skills for something this important.

I had a similar issue with the tie rod seized on both ends. Was very generous with anti-seize putting the new one together.

I ordered the Slee one just now.

stupid question but I have to ask, were you tightening it?

left hand thread for adjustment.............................

It was seized solid in both directions - it wouldn't budge. I used Kroil, a huge pipe wrench, MAPP gas. I didn't bust out the oxy acetelene.

Slee parts arrived. In the meantime I cleaned, masked, primed and painted the 555 ends. I put the ends on the rods with antiseize on the rod end threads, then cleaned up the excess. They're set to the FSM length to start with, and now all that remains is an alignment. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom