Accelerator pedal rod assembly, torsion spring replacement? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tyx

Threads
Hi 80 series owners. I've a 1990 VX with the hand throttle cable that attaches to the top of the accelerator rod.

Recently and for no good reason, the pedal stopped returning to the un-pressed resting spot.

Took the pivot mount off the firewall and had a play around, and realised the torsion spring just isn't torsioning enough any more. I've done my best to re-tension the spring myself with pliers basically, and had no joy.

My work-around has been to un-clip the spring from the rod, and have the narrow point that should hold the spring on the rod, work as the point that interacts against the rod. This basically means pressure is applied from the spring sooner and makes it work as it should. However because the spring is not locked on, it can potentially slip out of position at any times and leave me with 0 throttle return which may be quite awkward...

Ths spring in question looks a little something like:

1699828089407.png

Toyota have 2 part numbers of potential interest.
78120-60030 - states that it's for 01.1990 - 06.1990.
My build date on plate is July 1990... which means that's technically wrong - but it's the one that seems to still have availability
78120-60070 - 06.1990 - 1992 which would be the technically correct fit but can't find stock.

Local Toyota dealership can't help me determine if the 60030 part number would be a fit.
I also don't really need the whole assembly... just the spring.

Anyone had a similar scenario and could confirm that say a Hilux spring like the one pictured above would be the right configuration/torsion/etc to do the job for me? or am I looking for some kind of spring-engineer who could build a fit? I've asked around with several parts stores etc. including one who built a new throttle cable for me, but no luck yet and I'm hesitant to mess with what I have too much lest I break it all together and definitely have no pedal-return.

Thanks in advance!

Hi 80 series owners. I've a 1990 VX with the hand throttle cable that attaches to the top of the accelerator rod.

Recently and for no good reason, the pedal stopped returning to the un-pressed resting spot.

Took the pivot mount off the firewall and had a play around, and realised the torsion spring just isn't torsioning enough any more. I've done my best to re-tension the spring myself with pliers basically, and had no joy.

My work-around has been to un-clip the spring from the rod, and have the narrow point that should hold the spring on the rod, work as the point that interacts against the rod. This basically means pressure is applied from the spring sooner and makes it work as it should. However because the spring is not locked on, it can potentially slip out of position at any times and leave me with 0 throttle return which may be quite awkward...

Ths spring in question looks a little something like:

View attachment 3479766

Toyota have 2 part numbers of potential interest.
78120-60030 - states that it's for 01.1990 - 06.1990.
My build date on plate is July 1990... which means that's technically wrong - but it's the one that seems to still have availability
78120-60070 - 06.1990 - 1992 which would be the technically correct fit but can't find stock.

Local Toyota dealership can't help me determine if the 60030 part number would be a fit.
I also don't really need the whole assembly... just the spring.

Anyone had a similar scenario and could confirm that say a Hilux spring like the one pictured above would be the right configuration/torsion/etc to do the job for me? or am I looking for some kind of spring-engineer who could build a fit? I've asked around with several parts stores etc. including one who built a new throttle cable for me, but no luck yet and I'm hesitant to mess with what I have too much lest I break it all together and definitely have no pedal-return.

Thanks in advance!
Do i just need to find a wrecked one and hope its spring has more life in it?

You can simply order an entire gas pedal assembly and start over all new.

You can simply order an entire gas pedal assembly and start over all new.
unfortunately as per my post, I cannot order the one that's a guaranteed fit - and the one for earlier builds I'm not sure of the differences :(

Think this will be a wrecker hunting job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom