Builds Dirty Bastard (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Realized why I can't run the stock fenders; all of my steering needs the real estate on that side of the frame.

aqualu fenders don't mount on the frame there. Just mount at the tub and the front bib.

Ahhh - you are referring to the towers/hoops the same. Makes sense...towers wouldn't have worked for me either. I did use their hoops though. Box fits b/w the mounting points....I was confused sorry and just wanted to make sure I didn't make some huge oversight.

Continue on!!

I made my own, look almost identical to those.

Alright, it's been a bit since an update. This little lady came way early.
20170202_175751.jpg

Miss Thorin Gayle, born January 10th during Portland's "snowmageddon." She spent a couple of weeks in the NICU figuring out how to breathe, but is home and doing great.
I've had a couple of hiccups with the truck as I've been trying to sort the steering and exhaust: I could do neither the way I had things going. So I picked up a set of Hooker LS Block hugger headers, will have to redo my engine mounts to install those, but will have ano almost straight shot for my steering after that all is done!
I've mounted the front calipers, master cylinder (FJ80), and have all my brake related hardware ready to install. With some luck, I may have a vehicle that steers and has brakes in a couple short weeks! Wiring to be done after that.

Last edited:
congrats!!

You really want the military wrap on your springs to be on the frame side of the spring instead of the shackle side.

Redrill the center pin if necessary.

You really want the military wrap on your springs to be on the frame side of the spring instead of the shackle side.

Redrill the center pin if necessary.
Was planning on it, that's why I hadn't crimped the spring holders. I've just been putting it off because I hate drilling springs.

So, a question for all of the guru's: should I have any worries running soft brake lines from each front caliper to the frame on the respective side? With my steering setup, it's not a good idea to have a center line going to a tee and then to the shorter stock soft lines that come from the caliper.

So, a question for all of the guru's: should I have any worries running soft brake lines from each front caliper to the frame on the respective side? With my steering setup, it's not a good idea to have a center line going to a tee and then to the shorter stock soft lines that come from the caliper.

Nope, shouldn't be an issue as long as you can make sure that the soft lines don't get snagged on something!

Does your soft line = braided stainless steel covered line? If so I've been running that with good success and have eliminated any hard line on my axles.

Does your soft line = braided stainless steel covered line? If so I've been running that with good success and have eliminated any hard line on my axles.
Yes sir, the "soft" are the double braided Kevlar core stuff and I'll have hard lines on the rear axle and the frame.

20170305_150535.jpg
20170305_150535.jpg

Had some time to do the transfer case torque mount, reinforce the shock mounts for the addition of the rear center limit strap, and welded in all of the brake tabs. I'll plumb the brakes this week, and hopefully start on wiring.
I need to mock up a belly skid. Looking to protect belly from the oil pan to the 205.

20170305_150532.jpg

Interested to see your Belly skid design and construction. Need to do one myself.

Steering is dialed in. I replaced the rag joint with a u-joint to give me a little room for error on the steering shaft angle.
I then moved on to installing the radiator and found that with the poly mounts for the radiator mount that it is all too tall to fit underneath the hood. I'll be customizing all of that to fit.
Rear shocks have proven to be a bitch. 10" travels are too long, but 8" travels are pointless. It looks like I'll be doing some 7100 short bodies for the rear. Lots of time wasted this evening just trying to test fit some things....

Got any pics of how you plan to mount shocks for the rears? I so don't want to go with the typical /\ style but definitely don't want to kill the usability of the rear by gong through the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom