Builds Dirty Bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ruffstuff. They're absolute overkill like most of their stuff. With the tower and SOA on stock springs, I'm running a 14 inch shock with 5+ inches of up travel and whatever down the spring allows.
Oh OK now I see them on the ruff stuff website. Really beefy looking. Maybe u mentioned it, but how far forward did u stretch the axle??

and you survived Pirate, I'm impressed sir. ;)

is now a good time to mention you're missing an epic snow year?
I got out once in the wife's Tundra, which on 35's did amazing! I am busting my ass though to get this thing moving within the next 30 days. That'll give me at least a month of snow.

Well, I finished the front fenders (minus paint, it's too cold) and have to say the outcome is the most disappointing thing I've done in a while. The DS fender sits about a half inch forward of the PS in it's bolted in position. It also sits a bit lower. For the time and money (particularly time) invested into these, I'm not happy at all. I may actually bend up some 1.5" tube, cut off the outer portion of the factory fenders and replace it with tube until I build another set of fenders. I'll post some pics later, the phone died and I don't feel like digging out the camera.
Now, nose protector or not? that is the next question. I have it ready to weld on, but I think the front looks a little busy with it.

I've seen a fair amount of those fenders and they look nice. Maybe u got a bad one? BTW why didn't u just run stock fenders? It's hard to beat the look of stockers. The nice thing about the nose guard is its a protection during a roll for the motor to some extent. Looks wise I think it just depends on the rig. Some look great with the stinger, some look so-so. Either way it won't look bad. I would go without for now and see what u think, u can easily add it later

I've seen a fair amount of those fenders and they look nice. Maybe u got a bad one? BTW why didn't u just run stock fenders? It's hard to beat the look of stockers. The nice thing about the nose guard is its a protection during a roll for the motor to some extent. Looks wise I think it just depends on the rig. Some look great with the stinger, some look so-so. Either way it won't look bad. I would go without for now and see what u think, u can easily add it later
37's with a low lift guarantee Tire hitting fender, which was the only reason I was thinking of the tube fenders. Going back to the stockers.

So now your saying your tube fenders are for sale...?
Very likely. I'll probably post them after I throw the oem fenders back on.

20170106_170524.jpg

20170106_170533.jpg

One thing about the Ruffstuff hoops - you can't use the 80 or the Scout steering box with them.... they occupy the same space. I have a set of RS shock towers that are waiting the next project.

The ruff stuff hoops mocked up fine for me with a scout box.

@mr jits tube fenders look good. Mine were also a pain to fit but likely due to my lack of skill. One side definitely looks better than the other on mine.

The ruff stuff hoops mocked up fine for me with a scout box.

@mr jits tube fenders look good. Mine were also a pain to fit but likely due to my lack of skill. One side definitely looks better than the other on mine.

did you move your axle forward?

my fenders had the same problem on the same side.... it helped that I painted mine tan - covers that flaw pretty well.

my fenders had the same problem on the same side.... it helped that I painted mine tan - covers that flaw pretty well.

Yes, flipped front springs shackle reverse with the shackle at the end of the frame, but not out any further like some have done.

My standards are low, but I'd run those fenders all day over stockers for what you're planning. Get out the hammer & dolly and beat the sheetmetal between the hood and tube into submission to close the gap a little. First time you tag a tree or rock with stock fenders it's going to look much worse. And I'm not looking forward to the amount of trimming my stockers will need because I'm broke and can't afford to buy the tube kit or a bender at the moment.

The ruffstuff towers mount on top of the frame. That and how the engine fits in the bay have necessitated some creative steering solutions.
Axle is forward 3".

Yes, flipped front springs shackle reverse with the shackle at the end of the frame, but not out any further like some have done.

there's why it didn't work on mine. I could have made them work if I'd given up on the IH box but I'm running coil overs and links - so the ruffstuff shock tower was a problem. It's spare parts and ultimately just an excuse to build another vehicle as backup (of which I already have 2 backups... can't have too many is my motto).

there's why it didn't work on mine. I could have made them work if I'd given up on the IH box but I'm running coil overs and links - so the ruffstuff shock tower was a problem. It's spare parts and ultimately just an excuse to build another vehicle as backup (of which I already have 2 backups... can't have too many is my motto).

Ahhh - you are referring to the towers/hoops the same. Makes sense...towers wouldn't have worked for me either. I did use their hoops though. Box fits b/w the mounting points....I was confused sorry and just wanted to make sure I didn't make some huge oversight.

Continue on!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom