Swamp Donkey died while on the highway, Transmission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What the...

Ummmmm..... yeah.

That's impressive right there....at least you found the cause of the problem?

And at least you didn't roach some unobtanium part.

Did you figure out the how & why of this happening to you - I saw you added a qt to the case, but from memory it's a ~3qt unit.

That gear looks like you cold welded the teeth.

Transfer case holds 1.4 qts, if it was needing that much to bring it to full then it was almost empty. Looks like that has not been good to the gears in this T case.

Damn, I was off. I guess it makes sense then what happened.

I know better and usually check oil levels several times a year. disappointed with myself. lessons learned. several other small leaks and maintenance items that will be getting addressed in the coming months. glad to have him rolling again.

How long have you owned this truck and how many miles have you put on it since owning?

That doesn't happen without noise and oil that looks like glitter paint or lumpy oatmeal.......

How long have you owned this truck and how many miles have you put on it since owning?

That doesn't happen without noise and oil that looks like glitter paint or lumpy oatmeal.......

since January 2006. 80k. has about 220k.
agree. I think it happened fast. couldn't see any other damaged gears or bearings.

Not to bump a old thread.... but I had this exact thing happen to me today. Going 55mph and all of a sudden a small clunk and no more go. Doing my searching lime a good little mudder brought me here. Just drained the oil out of the TC. All seems ok. No big chunks and volume seemed on par. I have the same issues....no go in forward or reverse and grinds going back in park. I got a parts truck here..... so I may pop open the TC tomorrow and see and if its toast Ill swap over the parts one....first time a cruiser has left me stuck..sad day.:(

Not to bump a old thread.... but I had this exact thing happen to me today. Going 55mph and all of a sudden a small clunk and no more go. Doing my searching lime a good little mudder brought me here. Just drained the oil out of the TC. All seems ok. No big chunks and volume seemed on par. I have the same issues....no go in forward or reverse and grinds going back in park. I got a parts truck here..... so I may pop open the TC tomorrow and see and if its toast Ill swap over the parts one....first time a cruiser has left me stuck..sad day.:(

What year rig? Does it drive if you put it in low range?

96' lx450... 270,000. Nope....it will not move at all. Low/ high foward/reverse makes no difference. I dont know a lot of its history.

96' lx450... 270,000. Nope....it will not move at all. Low/ high foward/reverse makes no difference. I dont know a lot of its history.

When you shift park, does it hold the rig in place or can it roll? Have a helper hold the brake, accelerate in drive, attempt to normally drive, look under, is one of the drive shafts turning, if so, which one? When the transfer is shifted into low range, does the CDL light come on, if so does this make any difference in drive or park holding?

WARNING, if there is something broken/disconnected in the drive train, park may not work, it can roll at anytime. If this is the case, best to chock the wheels until the problem is resolved.

Im driveing it with only the rear ds installed at the moment with the cdl switch locked. The flat bed dropped it off in the grass so I cant push it by myself. My father may be stopping by tonight still so Ill put him to work help pushing. I have read nearly every thread thats got transmission in the title and this one is exactly like mine. Going along and poof...no more go.

Im driveing it with only the rear ds installed at the moment with the cdl switch locked. ...

Driving in that configuration pretty much confirms something being broken in the front drive line, birf, axle, diff, drive plate, etc.

Ummmm, with no front drive shaft installed i think we can pretty much rule out a failure of any of the front drive components.
Either the center diff lock has failed or the TC is toast, or the splines on the output of the TX are toast.
It will be interesting to see what has failed.

Well I woke up...got ready to go outside and the rain started... big thunder...the whole thing. Surgery is postponed on the TC. I went back thru the oil I drained and found a chunk that could be a gear. Raining good now......Im a shade tree mechanic not a mud puddle one...ih8mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom