Lost brakes on the highway. What to expect? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright so shop replaced the brake line with a slee extended steel brake line (I'm in Utah now, they got it from Cruiser Outfitters), replaced the drums, shoes, and hardware, and did a fluid flush. I reminded them twice to pay attention while flushing the brakes as it's apparently tricky. Got it back today and the good news is i have brakes again. But i am
Not 100% sure if the brakes feel the way they should? It feels like the pedal goes pretty far down the first time i push it down to stop, but if i pump the brakes (which i do anyways when braking downhill, etc.) it gets more firm and feels a little more comfortable. I can't quite remember what it's actually supposed to feel like because i remember it starting to get more spongy a few months ago (presumably due to old brake fluid and rear shoes that were worn down to metal.) can someone advise what it should feel like while braking? My parking brake lever also goes up higher than before, i suppose i need to adjust it. Perhaps there's s brake in period/procedure for the drums that i'm unaware of?
Did you find out how the line failed? Was it due to contacting the exhaust or not?

@Devils Paw 80

I'd say the following photo tells the tale pretty well. The line looks like it hit the exhaust and melted, leaving the black mark on the exhaust pipe above the red dot. From there, once the hose failed it sprayed and dripped fluid which dried on the hot exhaust but stayed wet on the cooler surfaces. I assume there was some clear damage on the hose where it had contacted the exhaust.

IMG_9118.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom