Trying to understand off road capability 200 vs. Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy one of each. Then spend lots of $$$ customizing them to your liking. They both have specific applications that make them uniquely suited to compliment each other.
IMG_0169_zps9y9gxeib.jpg

Love the get both idea! :rolleyes: Nice setup you have there. After reading the posts from owners, I'm thinking the Tundra is actually a pretty good value. Basically a Land Cruiser drive train in a truck configuration. Add a shell for enclosed gear and I think that's hard to beat for the price of admission. I'm finding nice 1 owners in the high 20s-low 30s. I am going to miss the tight/technical trails the 80 has gotten me through, but I really think it's time to thin the heard. I also have two young kids and the ability to put a couple KTMs in the bed seems like fun too.

Hard to say. My 80 is one of the cleanest/low mileage I've seen and I would like to keep it. On the other hand, I could sell it for top dollar to fund either a Tundra or 200. I have 3 vehicles and don't need a 4th. I would agree that the Tundra/200 are much beefier than the 4Runner underneath.
Your 80 could be a pretty nice daily driver. Drop a ls motor in it and buy a trailer to pull the dirt bikes. The 5.7 is a ok motor, but a ls can put out incredible power with some tweaks. It has unlimited aftermarket support.

Your 80 could be a pretty nice daily driver. Drop a ls motor in it and buy a trailer to pull the dirt bikes. The 5.7 is a ok motor, but a ls can put out incredible power with some tweaks. It has unlimited aftermarket support.

Yes...I have thought a lot about this. I love my 80. I think it's one of the best all around vehicles ever assembled. The 1FZ-FE only has 118K miles on it and it runs PERFECT! An LS swap is the ultimate and would only set me back 15-20K. The only thing I hate about the 80 is the brakes...they SUUUCK and the added HP from a LS would only add to the frustration.

Have you run this by @NLXTACY ?

For off road adventures, it is very helpful to own the same trucks as your wheeling friends. It makes projects, repairs and spare parts much easier.

My vote is sell the car and get a Tundra with a cap on the bed. 200s are still too nice to get banged up off the pavement.

For off road adventures, it is very helpful to own the same trucks as your wheeling friends. It makes projects, repairs and spare parts much easier.

My vote is sell the car and get a Tundra with a cap on the bed. 200s are still too nice to get banged up off the pavement.

Dang you Drew! :flipoff2: I'm itching for some power...maybe I could sell the Prius and Camry and get into a Tundra. It just seems counterproductive to throw mods at 2 different 4x4s.

If Joey would quit fiddlin with air compressors and such and figure out a way to upgrade these damn brakes...all problems would be solved! :)

If Joey would quit fiddlin with air compressors and such and figure out a way to upgrade these damn brakes...all problems would be solved! :)

@Cruiserdrew I was going to go ahead with the Wilwood big brake setup that Marc did. I was gathering components. But every single machine shop said no to making the hats and the caliper bracket as soon as they know it's for brakes. No one wants the liability. Hell, I don't want the liability. If there is a way around it, I'm all ears.

@Cruiserdrew I was going to go ahead with the Wilwood big brake setup that Marc did. I was gathering components. But every single machine shop said no to making the hats and the caliper bracket as soon as they know it's for brakes. No one wants the liability. Hell, I don't want the liability. If there is a way around it, I'm all ears.

@spressomon did a version for his 100 that turned out great. He claims way better braking especially towing. Was 'spensive though.

BTW there is plenty of wisdom in having similar trucks with similar lifts and similar tire sizes at least. Similar tools are needed and the knowledge base is spread among each driver. Start adding different vehicles and commonality and ease of support goes out the window.

I moved from a Tundra (2012 RW, Icon 2/1 lift and UCAs) to a 200 Series (2014) several months ago. It was great to be able to haul anything and everything you want in the Tundra, but I made the mistake of driving a low-mileage 200 series while I was waiting for service at the dealer. I worked the Tundra pretty good, its a big vehicle, and didn't always want to fit where I was going - whether that was around town here (dense traffic and lots of people) or out on a trail. The 200 is still a big vehicle, but it feels a little more nimble than the Tundra. Knowing it shares the 5.7 pretty much cinched the deal. The 200 is almost done with its build (OME 2" Heavy), but even in its stock form on street tires I was really pleased with its performance out in Ouray. Can't wait to see what it'll do now.

14492371_1476058582409768_5765448841944218259_n.jpg

The 5.7 is awesome! I understand one is a truck and one is a SUV. The 200 is a luxury vehicle while the Tundra is...well...a truck. There was a time that the LC was purpose built and utilized proprietary components, engines, T-cases, axles, etc. It seems the use of said proprietary components appeared to die off with the 80 series. From my limited understanding, the 100/200 appear to use fairly the same setups (axles/engines/front sus) between the Tundras and LCs. Just trying to determine if this is just my perception or fact.
they are really not the same. A tundra and a cruiser are two separate chassis.

Ok, I'm going to chime in here too, as I have been thinking of selling the LX-570 and replace it with either a newer (2014 - 2015) LC or a brand new 2017 Tundra TRD PRO. This is what I have found so far:

1. Frame - LC has a fully boxed frame, whereas the Tundra has a standard truck C frame.
2. Clearance - LC is very big, but still easier to handle in tight situations than the Tundra. Here in Idaho, we have very tight spaces on the forest service roads and I would probably be pin striping the Tundra pretty bad and the LC is going to be easier to handle on a daily basis in parking garages downtown.
3. Hauling - Tundra has a bed; LC does not; LC has 3 rows; Tundra does not. What are you hauling people or stuff you would rather have outside your cab?
4. Towing - Tundra beats the LC everyday in towing. This is because of several factors: brakes, longer wheel base, larger towing capacity.
5. Fit / Finish - LC beats the Tundra, but the Tundra is VERY nice too.
6. Price - Here in Idaho, the LC gets a fair prime price even in the used market. As a comparison, 2014 LC with 23K miles = $58K versus the 2017 TRD PRO Tundra lists at less than $48K. What can you do with $10K?
7. Mods - Although each have after market goodies, the LC in my house would definitely get modified, whereas the Tundra would remain stock, given several options that I would want before taking ownership. Modifications would include a lift and sliders, in the very least. I do not consider adding Weather Techs a mod, as this happens to everyone of my cars. How much will you spend on modifying the vehicle after you pay the capital cost? BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF HERE.

For me, my primary usage of the vehicle is daily driver first and travel trailer hauler second. For a daily driver, the LC wins hands down, but for towing the Tundra wins. I have yet to take a TRD PRO out and I'm waiting a while before I do to make sure that I don't do something and regret it later (ie the LX).

Good luck in your decision.

For a little fun, I found this video to tell a lot of how the Tundra (TRD PRO edition) does offroad.

Ok, I'm going to chime in here too, as I have been thinking of selling the LX-570 and replace it with either a newer (2014 - 2015) LC or a brand new 2017 Tundra TRD PRO. This is what I have found so far:

1. Frame - LC has a fully boxed frame, whereas the Tundra has a standard truck C frame.
2. Clearance - LC is very big, but still easier to handle in tight situations than the Tundra. Here in Idaho, we have very tight spaces on the forest service roads and I would probably be pin striping the Tundra pretty bad and the LC is going to be easier to handle on a daily basis in parking garages downtown.
3. Hauling - Tundra has a bed; LC does not; LC has 3 rows; Tundra does not. What are you hauling people or stuff you would rather have outside your cab?
4. Towing - Tundra beats the LC everyday in towing. This is because of several factors: brakes, longer wheel base, larger towing capacity.
5. Fit / Finish - LC beats the Tundra, but the Tundra is VERY nice too.
6. Price - Here in Idaho, the LC gets a fair prime price even in the used market. As a comparison, 2014 LC with 23K miles = $58K versus the 2017 TRD PRO Tundra lists at less than $48K. What can you do with $10K?
7. Mods - Although each have after market goodies, the LC in my house would definitely get modified, whereas the Tundra would remain stock, given several options that I would want before taking ownership. Modifications would include a lift and sliders, in the very least. I do not consider adding Weather Techs a mod, as this happens to everyone of my cars. How much will you spend on modifying the vehicle after you pay the capital cost? BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF HERE.

For me, my primary usage of the vehicle is daily driver first and travel trailer hauler second. For a daily driver, the LC wins hands down, but for towing the Tundra wins. I have yet to take a TRD PRO out and I'm waiting a while before I do to make sure that I don't do something and regret it later (ie the LX).

Good luck in your decision.

Great list and clear thoughts!

I agree with this point, though depending on your situation it might be irrelevant. While the Tundra may outperform the LC with a higher max towing capacity or towing performance near capacity, I think the actual performance depends on what you're towing. My LC did amazing pulling my 24' ~5000# TT @ 75MPH. I'm sure if I tried to pull a 32' 7000# TT I'd feel much differently. If you have a big trailer then this matters a lot but if your towing needs are lesser then either one does fine.

I moved from a Tundra (2012 RW, Icon 2/1 lift and UCAs) to a 200 Series (2014) several months ago. It was great to be able to haul anything and everything you want in the Tundra, but I made the mistake of driving a low-mileage 200 series while I was waiting for service at the dealer. I worked the Tundra pretty good, its a big vehicle, and didn't always want to fit where I was going - whether that was around town here (dense traffic and lots of people) or out on a trail. The 200 is still a big vehicle, but it feels a little more nimble than the Tundra. Knowing it shares the 5.7 pretty much cinched the deal. The 200 is almost done with its build (OME 2" Heavy), but even in its stock form on street tires I was really pleased with its performance out in Ouray. Can't wait to see what it'll do now.

View attachment 1337355

Ha! I showed this to my wife with a big grin and my eyes wide open. She looked me straight in the eyes (like my mother used to do) and simply said, "No."

But, I think I may screen shot this pic and post it on the the LR4 forum and pretend that this is a pic of my new LC. ;)

@linuxgod has a point, if you are not towing anything heavy, this may not be a true consideration. My LX tows our ~6000 lb travel trailer fairly well, but on steep grades, it takes its toll. The Tundra is better suited for this type of work.

My point was really to take a look at how you will use the vehicle 90% of the time, unless that last 10% is critical. Then you will need to evaluate both trucks for providing exactly what you need over the whole of use.

Off road, as shown in the video I posted earlier the Tundra can go everything that you have stated, except depending upon the trail, the added length may get you into problems with close quartered trees and shrubs. I know here, it IS a big issue with me "pin striping" my 100 series LC, and my 200 series LX. I am starting to bring with me a good set of tree loppers to trim branches since the forest service roads can be heavily infringed upon by local growth.

You should see the look on my Lexus service advisors face, with the immense amount of pinstripes on my 2016 LX570

HAHA

@linuxgod has a point, if you are not towing anything heavy, this may not be a true consideration. My LX tows our ~6000 lb travel trailer fairly well, but on steep grades, it takes its toll. The Tundra is better suited for this type of work.

My point was really to take a look at how you will use the vehicle 90% of the time, unless that last 10% is critical. Then you will need to evaluate both trucks for providing exactly what you need over the whole of use.

Off road, as shown in the video I posted earlier the Tundra can go everything that you have stated, except depending upon the trail, the added length may get you into problems with close quartered trees and shrubs. I know here, it IS a big issue with me "pin striping" my 100 series LC, and my 200 series LX. I am starting to bring with me a good set of tree loppers to trim branches since the forest service roads can be heavily infringed upon by local growth.

@ryanCA - My wife wants my head for what I've done already. If mine were a '16, I am not sure she would let me drive it beyond the blacktop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom