Can I tow 9000lbs with an FJ80 with a 350? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could I tow 9000-10000, occasionally, with a 1991 fj80 with a Chevy 350, with a tranny cooler, 700r4, NP205, 4" OME lift, and a leveling hitch?

I hear fj80s have a 3500lb capacity, and fzj80s have a 5000lb capacity. But I dont know how to calculate a 1991 FJ80 with a carbed Chevy 350, 700r4 + an RV tranny cooler, , NP205 (2WD) with OME 4" lift and 33" tires?

I don't think it has the wheelbase or the brakes for that load, even with trailer brakes.

If it was to be done. Not saying it should be.

I would get OME stock height springs. Airbags for the rear. A load distributing hitch and stock height tires with a high load rating and inflate them up.

I would be very concerned with the 80's brakes especially an early 80.

This would be very sketchy and I wouldn't trust it in most circumstances but could be done for short flat trips I imagine? But you didn't hear that from me.

I have seen 80's towing other 80's on flat bed trailers so that's probably 7500lbs (5280lbs + 2200lbs)

The real question is why??? That's a big enough load that it really needs a tow vehicle.

IMG_20160531_224407688_HDR_zpswwdqmk5z.jpg

Problem Solved. And even with its 5.7 this is still technically "overloaded" although it hauled this just fine.

It might be able to pull the load, but sure as hell wont stop it. I think stopping is a little more important

I will say that towing my FZJ-80 on a dual axle 3,500LB dual axle trailer with brakes with my UZJ-200 was OK. My UZJ has a trailer brake controller and air bags.

I am a very experienced tower, driver (with many hours piloting 18+ wheels) and with my experience I can say that overhauling (8,000LB is max in US, trailer and rig probably were 10,000) with my UZJ was less frightening than I imagined.

seems hard to recommend the notion, but as a devil's advocate comment, I do think that the braking issue could in principle be alleviated with proper trailer brakes. After all, one could have the trailer brakes be strong enough to slow down trailer and towing vehicle. Now, in practice, however...

I have pulled a 10K tractor with my 97 F350 and it was a chore. I can't imagine doing that in my 80 even with the Cummins.

I've towed my Toyota mini crawler several times with my fj80 with 3fe, now I'm doing an LS swap so it will do it more efficiently but adding a trailer brake controller. Last time I did brakes I upgraded to EBC all the way around and it helped stopping tremendously! But definitely add trailer brakes and a controller if towing with an 80 you will thank yourself when going down that long hill.

I wouldn't even entertain the idea. As others have said, towing isn't just about the motor (a 350 in stock form isn't that powerful anyhow) but it's also about frame, suspension, wheelbase, curb weight, and braking. The FZJ80 just isn't designed for towing that much weight SAFELY. Can it "move" it (starting and stopping it)? Probably.

Just as a side, a new 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra can pull that load. If you're doing it daily or more frequently, you're gonna find suggestions that you step up to a 3/4 ton.

I'm out on pulling 10k with my 80 and if you disregard the warnings about the vehicle shortcomings, at least do it for the safety of others.

Also, a 4" OME lift is designed for flex and offroading. It is completely opposite of what you "really" want while you're towing

Carbed 350, huh? What kind of power output are we talking here? Hopped up? Stock pre-TBI? I'm guessing it lacks the guts to go over 40mph on any sort of grade. (I envision 25mph on Southbound Rabbit Ears Pass)

I will also be the first to say the 700r4 is a crap transmission and will not last long pulling that much weight (had one in my 62 and that was the worst part of the whole truck, which was flawed in many areas :eek: )

Brakes, suspension, wheelbase, etc. I think it would be doable in an emergency, but not something I would plan to do or do on purpose.

Towing a load of that weight really comes down to how you load the trailer, how much weight is on the tongue, where the CG is, how much length total and brakes. And of course the tow vehicle. I do not consider a lifted 80 a capable tow vehicle. Sounds dangerous.

Last edited:
IMHO, risk > reward. If you only do it rarely, borrow a friends truck. If you do it more often, get a tow rig. Again, JMHO.

An 80 series weighed 4700 lbs off the lot. Mine now weighs 6800 with all of the armor plating and tools I carry. I hunt towing my sisters Casita trailer. It weighs another 2000 lbs. The truck will pull the Casita fine although climbing steep hills is somewhat tedious. The real issue is stopping 9000 lbs in addition to the weight of the truck. Our brakes weren't designed for that and you could find yourself plowing someone's rear bumper in heavy traffic.

Carbed 350, huh? What kind of power output are we talking here? Hopped up? Stock pre-TBI? I'm guessing it lacks the guts to go over 40mph on any sort of grade. (I envision 25mph on Southbound Rabbit Ears Pass)

I will also be the first to say the 700r4 is a crap transmission and will not last long pulling that much weight (had one in my 62 and that was the worst part of the whole truck, which was flawed in many areas :eek: )

Brakes, suspension, wheelbase, etc. I think it would be doable in an emergency, but not something I would plan to do or do on purpose.
my 97 F-350 is the 7.3 turbo diesel
it tows the 80 w/ the car carrier trailer well
HP // Torque
225 hp @ 3,000 // 450 ft-lbs @ 2,000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom