Can I tow 9000lbs with an FJ80 with a 350? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Read the above link. That should clarify things for you.

I did and all you have done is say that US and EU do things differently. The original question is can the 80 tow 9000 lbs.

The answer is yes but not legally (anywhere) and not safely.

Capability doesn't mean safety.

Going international in this conversation also adds the USA DOT-mandated ball hitch/bolted receiver, where the pintle hook -style is prob in play where other countries tow rating is larger.

IDK, just worth a mention.
The whole overloading issue is a non-starter conversation IMO.

In Europe all 3 of my HDJ 80's are rated to tow 3500 kg = 7716 lbs. I have towed many times an 80 with and 80 on a professional twin axle, braked car trailer no problem.

Just saying...

Just to add the below 80 was towing 7000 lbs and did so no problem and legally for Europe. (7716LBS allowed)

FB_IMG_1511704472563.jpg

I did and all you have done is say that US and EU do things differently. The original question is can the 80 tow 9000 lbs.

The answer is yes but not legally (anywhere) and not safely.

Capability doesn't mean safety.

Where in what I wrote did you derive that answer from? I mean I guess I could do whatever I wanted with it until something broke or I died...Did you know the 80 series is also a good amphibious lander? There, I Fixed It

Where in what I wrote did you derive that answer from? I mean I guess I could do whatever I wanted with it until something broke or I died...Did you know the 80 series is also a good amphibious lander? There, I Fixed It

Not going to waste my time on this...

Not going to waste my time on this...
any more time, you mean. Look, I think we all agree that towing 9000 lbs with a cruiser is a terrible idea, but will it explode into pieces if you try? no. Still a terrible idea.

any more time, you mean. Look, I think we all agree that towing 9000 lbs with a cruiser is a terrible idea, but will it explode into pieces if you try? no. Still a terrible idea.

1. No, I meant what I said it is both correct in grammar and meaning.
2. Yes, that was my point.

As we just finished up with Thanksgiving here in the USA, I am thankful that this thread has saved COUNTLESS Nuns and Kindergartners.

That is more than the owners manual dictates, but hey you are not on my roads

Not for Europe, the legal and Toyota approved rating is 3500 kgs = 7716 lbs. It is even stamped on the car title that we must carry at all times when driving the vehicle so the Police can check.

Last edited:
I have pulled a 10K tractor with my 97 F350 and it was a chore. I can't imagine doing that in my 80 even with the Cummins.
Well SAID, Can it be done yes, Should it be done NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you do this Please post up so we Know what roads to stay clear of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try towing different progressively heavier loads. Even try a bigger load with and W/O a WD hitch and vary the tongue weight Experiment with the Bar adjustment. . Often neglected or misunderstood is the Trailer Brakes. Pull the Drums and check the magnets, wiring and shoes. If VERY GOOD- then adjust them way up. They Wear Very fast compared to cars. They usually have manual adjusters and being adjusted correctly makes a Big difference. And Make sure you have a VERY HIGH Quality controller that is set correctly and works correctly. Info can be found about this. Test them functionally. When they are working really well there not too much difference in stopping effort. This also assumes you have brakes on BOTH axles. Electric brakes work well but are fairly high maintenance. Surge brakes can work well when maintained well.

I have pulled a 10K tractor with my 97 F350 and it was a chore. I can't imagine doing that in my 80 even with the Cummins.

Bah! I have towed 15k with a standard cab 6L 4L80 Chevy 2500HD in the Rockies. It didn't like it but it did it no probs.

I pulled a 4.5-5klbs load with my 5.7L v8 80 over the Rockies. No probs at all with trailer brakes. 6klbs is about all I would suggest for such a truck. So big no to 9klbs behind an 80.

Cheers

I pulled 26k lbs on a 26’ gooseneck behind my 6.4 longbed f350. It can be done, doesn’t mean its a good idea.

Just let this thread die. It was a stupid question and the strict answer is no. An 80 is not the thing to be towing 9k to 10k even on occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom