2004 LX470 transponder key programming instructions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read many posts regarding 2003/2004 models require dealer/locksmith programming. I have used these instructions 3 times to delete and add keys to a 2004 LX470 successfully. YMMV.

To delete all keys except the current master key:
  1. Close all doors.
  2. Insert master key in the ignition and remove key. Do this 5 times.
  3. Insert master key in the ignition.
  4. Open and close driver door 7 times. Security light will blink.
  5. Remove master key.

To add master key:
  1. Close all doors.
  2. Insert master key in the ignition and remove key. Do this 4 times.
  4. Open and close driver door 6 times.
  5. Remove master key. Security light will turn solid to indicate the system is in programming mode.
  6. Insert new key. Security light will blink. Wait for about 1 minute until the security light stop blinking.
  7. Remove new key.

Above instructions also work for 2004 LC.

Yep. I had the local Toyota dealership cut a brand new master key using a Camry/Corolla blank. Parts counter guy claimed it would never work, but cut it for me anyway.

The key worked with no problems. I don't think any of the keys with my truck were original, except for maybe the valet key. Now I have a brand new master key (without the easily broken fob body).

Thanks @medtro

Yep. I had the local Toyota dealership cut a brand new master key using a Camry/Corolla blank. Parts counter guy claimed it would never work, but cut it for me anyway.

The key worked with no problems. I don't think any of the keys with my truck were original, except for maybe the valet key. Now I have a brand new master key (without the easily broken fob body).

Thanks @medtro

Can you provide pics and part #'s?

Can you provide pics and part #'s?

Key is part no 89785-60160.

I bought one of Yotamd's fob shells for the remote.

IMG_20161023_084046.jpg

I have read many posts regarding 2003/2004 models require dealer/locksmith programming. I have used these instructions 3 times to delete and add keys to a 2004 LX470 successfully. YMMV.

To delete all keys except the current master key:
  1. Close all doors.
  2. Insert master key in the ignition and remove key. Do this 5 times.
  4. Open and close driver door 7 times. Security light will blink.
  5. Remove master key.

To add master key:
  1. Close all doors.
  2. Insert master key in the ignition and remove key. Do this 4 times.
  4. Open and close driver door 6 times.
  5. Remove master key. Security light will turn solid to indicate the system is in programming mode.
  6. Insert new key. Security light will blink. Wait for about 1 minute until the security light stop blinking.
  7. Remove new key.
This is for programming it to start the vehicle only. Separate programming instructions pictured here are required to program the door lock functions.

IMG_0603.JPG

I've bounced around through some of these key threads and can't really get this straight. Can someone clarify a few things here (or point me to a source/thread that will?)? I've purchased two EBay keys and talked to the locksmith about cutting them but he is convinced I can't program them.

What exactly is a "Master" key?

Can you have more than one? I assume so since the instruction by the OP say to "add Master".

How do you know it's the Master?

What other kind of key is there, other than the Master?

Thanks in advance,
rjones

Confirmed this procedure works on '04 LC. Thanks!

I just got a key from remotesremotes.com cut, and it will unlock the doors but it wont turn in the ignition. I figured it might need to be programmed first, so I did that, but it still will not turn. It has been programmed as a master (the security light immediately goes off when I put it in the ignition), but will not turn. The key new key looks to be a little shorter than the original, but doesnt bottom out in the ignition.

Is this a cutting issue?

ETA: pic for reference (original master on left)
2mq12y8.jpg

There are short and long blanks for certain year models. Looks like you have one of each. Your original appears to be a 'long' blank. Pretty sure that would make a difference.

There are short and long blanks for certain year models. Looks like you have one of each. Your original appears to be a 'long' blank. Pretty sure that would make a difference.

Agreed, but it still unlocks the doors. Oh well, I guess I need to find another online source. Thanks

I'm having a problem with this on y '05 LC. New key cut, and it will unlock door, turn ignition, etc. The ECU will take the fob programming for the remote unlock/lock/panic buttons but, it will not take for turning the motor. After trying the master reprogramming multiple times I'm confident the sequence is working (security light goes solid) however, when inserting the new key the light flashes with a new sequence: two short rapid flashes, pause then a single quick flash and repeats. Not sure what this means.

Has anyone run into this or can help sort through the (my?) problem?

Thanks!

Trying this with a new eBay remotesremotes key and no luck on a 2003 LX470. I programmed the remote itself first and it works fine. Key turns in all the locks. Wondering if the key is bad? Anyone had this happen?

I have one original key with the buttons (not a valet key) and want 2 more made. Can I buy the new Lexus keys on EBay, have them cut locally, then program them using this method? (03 LX). Do I need to do the delete step and the add step? Thanks!

Trying this with a new eBay remotesremotes key and no luck on a 2003 LX470. I programmed the remote itself first and it works fine. Key turns in all the locks. Wondering if the key is bad? Anyone had this happen?

Yes. I have an 05LC and ran into this problem. The function to unlock is separate from running the vehicle. I purchase new keys from Remoteremotes and was able to program without issues. It is my opinion that the transponder to talk with the immobilizer was broken.

Yeah, I can’t get the transponder to program for the car to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom