O2 LX470 master/valet key question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently bought an 02 Lexus LX470. Got two keys, one with a remote and one without. Both are cut the same. I think this means both are valet keys or both are master keys. I tried to get a new master key made at Ace Hardware today and while their computer said the new key was programmed it wouldn't start the vehicle. I am now wondering if that is because both are valet keys since you need a master key to program a new key. I've read here that you should be able to identify a master key by how the security light behaves when the key is inserted in the ignition. However, I can see no security light anywhere in the vehicle. Can anyone give any advice in how to determine if I have master keys or valet keys? I simply assumed the key with the remote was a master but I now realize that was an assumption I should not have made. Ace did ask for the master key while attempting to program the new key and the fob key is what I gave them.

1710810499479.png

Searched "security light", limited to titles only, 100 section only. Info is also found in the owner's manual.

So, I suspect your LX470 came new with 2 Remote Keys (Master) and 1 non remote Key (Valet). I think it's safe to proceed as if the remote key is a master, although as you note there is a way to check.

The security light is here...

Did you purchase a remote key or non remote key?

If you purchased a remote key, the immobilizer must learn the new key via one procedure and then the remote lock/unlock function must be programmed with another procedure.

To program the key to start the vehicle follow the instructions here...

If the above instructions don't work to get the key to start the car, it's possible you purchased the wrong key. There are different variations of the transponder chips even though the actual key blade itself is the same over the course of several generations. The different transponder chips are not interoperable.

And then to program the remote to lock/unlock follow the instructions here...

So, I suspect your LX470 came new with 2 Remote Keys (Master) and 1 non remote Key (Valet). I think it's safe to proceed as if the remote key is a master, although as you note there is a way to check.

The security light is here...

Did you purchase a remote key or non remote key?

If you purchased a remote key, the immobilizer must learn the new key via one procedure and then the remote lock/unlock function must be programmed with another procedure.

To program the key to start the vehicle follow the instructions here...

If the above instructions don't work to get the key to start the car, it's possible you purchased the wrong key. There are different variations of the transponder chips even though the actual key blade itself is the same over the course of several generations. The different transponder chips are not interoperable.

And then to program the remote to lock/unlock follow the instructions here...

Thank you. I did find the security light, perhaps because now it is dark outside. The light goes out upon insertion of each key. From what I gather this means I have two master keys. I purchased a non-remote key and they attempted to program it at Ace Hardware. They tried probably 8 times with two different keys they cut. In all instances their computer told them the key was correctly programmed but it would not start the car. Their instructions told them then to wipe clean the master key and start over. They, wisely, thought it better not to do this. But they and I are puzzled as to why the new key was not accepting the programming.

They did choose the blank by searching in their computer for a 2002 Lexus LX 470 but I suppose that does not preclude the possibility that they were using a key with an incompatible chip. They did call their key company technical support who did not suggest trying a different blank.

Thank you. I did find the security light, perhaps because now it is dark outside. The light goes out upon insertion of each key. From what I gather this means I have two master keys. I purchased a non-remote key and they attempted to program it at Ace Hardware. They tried probably 8 times with two different keys they cut. In all instances their computer told them the key was correctly programmed but it would not start the car. Their instructions told them then to wipe clean the master key and start over. They, wisely, thought it better not to do this. But they and I are puzzled as to why the new key was not accepting the programming.

Do you have the keys they cut? Just follow the instructions I posted above with one of them (or both).

Do you have the keys they cut? Just follow the instructions I posted above with one of them (or both).
Unfortunately no. They kept the keys to return to their supplier for a refund since they considered them duds.

They plugged a device into the OBDII connector and then accessed it with a tablet in order to do the programming.

Update: I ordered a cut-by-photo key with remote off ebay. I'll update after it arrives and I try to program it. Cost with tax was about $65 so it seemed worth the price to give it a shot. Ace was charging $100 for a non-remote key and $300 for a remote key.

I just recently went through adding a new key to my 2002 LX470. One thing that I came across while researching is that the vehicle will only allow a certain amount of keys to be programmed/registered to the vevhicle at one time. I can't remeber the number, but I think it was 4 master keys can be programmed/registered at one time. You may be at the limit of keys that can be programmed/registered. There's a procedure to delete all keys, but you'd have to search through the threads on here to find it.

Edit: Found the thread (also posted above). It's post #8 that talks about the number of keys and how to delete them all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom