Aftermarket (even mechanical) gauges into STOCK cluster!!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You guys are gonna love this one!!!

I designed some brackets:

1.jpg

Which are meant to be bent like so:

2.jpg

And then screw right into the stock cluster, with provisions for five LEDs as shown. Pin terminals plug right into the stock harness:

3.jpg

If you're a fan of electrical gauges, I designed this to work with the 1.5" autometer short sweep set. (You reuse the stock speedo and fuel gauge, because I personally have never required more accurate readings of my fuel level than the stock gauge delivers...)

4.jpg

And then remove the guts from the barrel:

5.jpg

Attach gauges to the new rear panel, and screw it onto the cluster:

6.jpg

TADA!!!!!!!!

7.jpg

Or, maybe you hate the electricity. I also added provisions on the brackets to use the autometer 2348 mechanical short sweep set:

8.jpg
9.jpg
9_1.jpg
9_2.jpg

Awesome. :cool:

I'm almost certainly going to sell these through my website, but I have self control problems so I couldn't wait any longer to show it off.

So what do you think? Is there interest, or did I just waste a lot of R&D money? heh.

Last edited:
very nice!

Impressive. Very impressive.
I think that'll make everyone but the ultra purist smile....

very nice. :beer:

Wow, again I'm impressed with your design and fab skills. :clap:

I really like the white gauges, they look closer stock and would sure give better detail.

My only concern/question: The amp gauges shown go from 0 to positive 20 amps. The stock gauge is center zero and can go either way showing charge and discharge. Plus the stock gauges are good for 40 to 55 amps. You will fry the new gauge if the draw exceeds 20 amps and I don't think they will handle 20 amps flowing backwards... Just a thought... ;)

You stole my idea how dare you. lol

Nice glad to see someone did it. And did a great job of it. Now weld some plates over the other holes and smooth it all out with some bondo. Then take it to a place that does vacuum forming and get them to crank you out about 500 of them. With the idea the plastic would provide a tighter bond to the back of the speedo and would allow for some sealant around the edges for a watertight fit.

Oh and scrap that speedo and install a dual speedo/tach. There should be something that will work.

Then scrap all the gauge faces and make a new one that is more into the cruiser theme. revlimiter.net - Custom Gauge Faces

My only concern/question: The amp gauges shown go from 0 to positive 20 amps. The stock gauge is center zero and can go either way showing charge and discharge. Plus the stock gauges are good for 40 to 55 amps. You will fry the new gauge if the draw exceeds 20 amps and I don't think they will handle 20 amps flowing backwards... Just a thought... ;)

Those are voltmeters.....:beer:

I am sold, this is exactly what I need for my SBC setup. I only use the stock fuel and speedo. Everything else is unhooked and I was palnning on putting a cheap 3 gauge cluster under the dash. You my friend have just saved me from that. Let me know the price and availability of the meachanical setup. Will these work for the older screw type speedo plug clusters as well? If not, I can't use it.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Email me the cost if I send you the panel...turnkey with instructions to wire up.......just what I am looking for!

Oh and scrap that speedo and install a dual speedo/tach. There should be something that will work.

Yeah, hell yeah! I love that man - just what I need for my SBC converted rig. X2 on Trollhole's comment - I would love a speedo/tach combo. Tell me how much and where to send the money!

Ed

Put me in line for a set. Nice work...

Any Night time shots with the LEDs working? Thats a huge improvement in the stock backlighting I would imagine..

Verry cool I would be intrested if it ends up eaiser and cheeper than just makeing a new cluster. I am defanately not a purist so I wouldent mind an aftermarket cluster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom