zirk fittings for knuckle grease fill studs and other? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
looks to me like a 14mm 12 sided socket fits these square studs. my geometry is not kicking in but anyone know how wide these are of why they are square?
also. does anyone sell a zirk fitting you can just leave in there? or one you can put in temporarily? it would be way easier to just hook it up.

24FE846A-FBBF-439C-AA01-0B33155B25C7.jpeg

2EAF78EC-F293-4F22-8F36-21C10FEADCB2.jpeg

Use an open ended wrench. People have modified them for zirc fittings but I would be a little concerned about adding pressure to that cavity. You only want it about 2/3 or so full. Not critical to get it perfect.

Use an open ended wrench. People have modified them for zirc fittings but I would be a little concerned about adding pressure to that cavity. You only want it about 2/3 or so full. Not critical to get it perfect.

hi WE. sorry i missed that part. so you don’t like a zirk in this location because you could add air pressure to the cavity? so it would be pressurized while you fill if you fit a zirk basically? THANKS

Last edited:
With a zerk it would be WAY to easy to pump in too much grease and pressurize the cavity with grease. That would blow your axle seal.
I use a poly meat injection syringe, and add grease as needed in a measured amount. Keep in mind that this is a total loss lubrication system and it needs topping off in an as-needed manner.
Yeah its messy, that's what rubber gloves are for.
And the open end wrench in your tool kit, in the back quarter panel with the jack, fits.

With a zerk it would be WAY to easy to pump in too much grease and pressurize the cavity with grease. That would blow your axle seal.
I use a poly meat injection syringe, and add grease as needed in a measured amount. Keep in mind that this is a total loss lubrication system and it needs topping off in an as-needed manner.
Yeah its messy, that's what rubber gloves are for.
And the open end wrench in your tool kit, in the back quarter panel with the jack, fits.
got it. i suppose once i get sorted (eventually...) in understanding the grease gun i am trying to use is not going to behave in the same way as a ratchet style construction glue gun i will have an easier time with this.
between jumping tires and ****ing with the grease gun and fiddling with the business end of the fitting i had my hands (literally) full i guess.

I put grease in a ziplock bag. Cut off one of the corners to make a 1/4 inch ish hole and then squeeze the bag to force grease out of the hole into the open knuckle. I fill the bag with a paint stir stick and keep my hands pretty clean in the process. Zerk fitting is crazy talk:flipoff2:

Pull the tire, Use a kabob skewers stick to check grease level, put the end of the grease gun in hole and pump. How hard could it be. Check knuckle bolts for proper torque at the same time. Easy/ clean

The KISS plan, keep it simple stupid.😉

I put grease in a ziplock bag. Cut off one of the corners to make a 1/4 inch ish hole and then squeeze the bag to force grease out of the hole into the open knuckle. I fill the bag with a paint stir stick and keep my hands pretty clean in the process. Zerk fitting is crazy talk:flipoff2:

zip lock bag is a good idea. i got to plastic funnel and immediately dismissed it.
zirk fitting at the knuckes is crazy talk but zirk fitting at the yoke or at the universal joint isn't? i don't get it. care to explain?

Pull the tire, Use a kabob skewers stick to check grease level, put the end of the grease gun in hole and pump. How hard could it be. Check knuckle bolts for proper torque at the same time. Easy/ clean

The KISS plan, keep it simple stupid.😉
broski. getting in on the action.
i used a wood chopstick.
the issue is that a grease gun takes a truck ton of effort with one hand. i personally don’t have a good place to jack up the truck, take the tire off and have it be safe.
so i have the tire on, with one hand on the gun and the other holding the fitting in there or just balancing it with one hand.
presumably if joey put a zirk on the ABS replacement part he made it can’t be that hard to figure out it could be helpful.

broski. getting in on the action.
i used a chopstick.
the issue is that a grease gun takes a truck ton of effort with one hand. i personally don’t have a good place to jack up the truck, take the tire off and have it be safe.
so i have the tire on, with one hand on the gun and the other holding the fitting in there or just balancing it with one hand.
presumably if joey put a zirk on the ABS replacement part he made it can’t be that hard to figure out it could be helpful.
With Joey's ABS replacement part you can still pull the fill plug as to not over pressurize the knuckle when adding the grease.

Longer hose's are available for your grease gun if you incest on doing it the hard way. :rofl:

zip lock bag is a good idea. i got to plastic funnel and immediately dismissed it.
zirk fitting at the knuckles is crazy talk but zirk fitting at the yoke or at the universal joint isn't? i don't get it. care to explain?
Because Universal Joints are pumped full until fresh grease is squeezed out of the seals, you don't care how much is pumped in, as long as it over flows. You have a single fluid joint, new grease displacing old grease. In the Birfield Knuckle you have an axel seal separating the knuckle grease from the the differential oil. If you over pressurize the Birfield you'll blow grease right into the axel and destroy the axel seal, allowing the diff oil to contaminate the knuckle grease. That little hand held grease gun can produce something on the order 5000psi of load on the grease. You would destroy the axle seal before you even knew you did it.
The plastic bag trick is a good one, works like an icing bag for cakes, and you can't generate any pressure with it.

Because Universal Joints are pumped full until fresh grease is squeezed out of the seals, you don't care how much is pumped in, as long as it over flows. You have a single fluid joint, new grease displacing old grease. In the Birfield Knuckle you have an axel seal separating the knuckle grease from the the differential oil. If you over pressurize the Birfield you'll blow grease right into the axel and destroy the axel seal, allowing the diff oil to contaminate the knuckle grease. That little hand held grease gun can produce something on the order 5000psi of load on the grease. You would destroy the axle seal before you even knew you did it.
The plastic bag trick is a good one, works like an icing bag for cakes, and you can't generate any pressure with it.

yeah. i like the plastic bag trick a lot.
i'm still figuring out how to use the grease gun honestly. i'm used to ratchet style construction glue guns so i'm not really using it properly.
but just to play devils advocate you could leave a zirk fitting in there and undo that two bolt fitting partially couldn't you? or i suppose the risk of stripping those when retorquing would outweight the convenience.
i suppose if i look around there is a rubber fitting for the grease gun that would be long enough and i could take off the zirk fitting. or one of the long needle fittings. not sure i like the long needle fitting for this location though.

no such thing as a zirk fitting with a pressure release i suppose...?

With Joey's ABS replacement part you can still pull the fill plug as to not over pressurize the knuckle when adding the grease.

Longer hose's are available for your grease gun if you incest on doing it the hard way. :rofl:

you're not tracking. maybe i didn't explain it well.

if you are doing this job with the tire on you have to manually hold the business end of the fitting in the hole. you have to do this even if you take the tire off.

so you need some kind of fitting that holds the zirk end or you need to find a fitting that will stay connected. needle nose is one way. plastic bag appears to be another. or a air powered grease gun or something.

To play devil advocate, you are totally over thinking this.

Keep to the kiss plan.

;)

zerk.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom