Your feedback is appreciated—creating a SuperFSM (1 Viewer)

Which device do you use to refer to repair info when doing repairs?

• Mobile

• Tablet

• Laptop

• Print out or book/manual

• Desktop (not located near work area)

Results are only viewable after voting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love this idea. The TIS site is great, but cost prohibitive. It would be nice to have something intuitive like TIS but without the high price tag.

I second the request for an intuitive torque-spec reference.

Thanks for all the great feedback. Based on the replies it seemed like general indexing and searching of the PDF was some low-hanging fruit I could do with minimal effort as a stopgap to the SuperFSM.

I obtained two scanned copies of the FSM. One was assembled in one file, but missing quite a few sections, and is not searchable. The other is a zip of numerous folders and PDF partials. Text was searchable.

I took the partials and combined them into one file. The partials set was missing the intro section so I extracted that from the other FSM copy. I removed a lot of redundant pages from the partials set. I don't have the print FSM so I wasn't sure what order the sections came in - so I put maintenance first, and the rest are alphabetical.

As a poor-man's table of contents, I went through the whole document and made bookmarks at every section. Make sure you have the bookmarks pane open in your PDF viewer. (Screen shot #1)

FSM-bookmarks.jpg

When doing a search, the results list will also show what section each result comes from. Here, I'm searching for 'throttle body'. (Screen shot #2)

FSM-search-results.jpg

One last thing to note, you'll only see PDF bookmarks in a PDF reader or an image viewer such as 'Preview' on the Mac. It won't show in very basic image viewers or the browser.

Need a PDF reader? Download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free

Here's the compiled FSM, 1994 FZJ80

Enjoy

nextuniverse, you're awesome my man. Thanks for your great contribution to the Mud community, "I love you man."

Very awesome! Loaded both to my dropbox and now resides in my iPad books, search function works great. I have the 96FSM, this one will be a great addition. Thank you for all your pain being our gain.

I'll "+1" the EWD content because so many have the print FSM but not a EWD. I bought one awhile ago & it's gold to me - I wouldn't sell but have made scans for people before.

Seems like the EWD isn't scanned like the FSMs but I bet I'm wrong.
I have a copy of BirfMark 1996 EWD. Should be able to track it down if you wanted an electronic copy.

Dude..... What? That was so fast! I can't wait to look at it on my computer.

Thanks!!!!!

So just downloaded it and it's perfect. That's all I need. I wish I was good at dem der kumpooters.

sorry i never shared before, but i made the 80 FSM with a clickable table of contents and converted it so that it is fully searchable within acrobat reader, certainly from a desktop/laptop, clickable TOC works on an iphone/pad too. i have the 40 FSM for 75-80 also with linked TOC. PM me if you would like it emailed to you. i will also try and get a google drive link or other setup.

EDIT: try this link from my personal server:
http://kodiakklub.com/fsm/fsm_fzj80_96_1.2.pdf

edit again: be warned, its 38MB

edit again: if link opened in browser, the TOC links work. i have the latest acroat reader installed on a windows 7 laptop.

Last edited:
in the subject of this thread, my deepest desire is just an app for iphone that shows all of the diff parts diagrams that can be downloaded from a parts site like village toyota or other. i just dont know any app languages....yet.

I don't want to be a buzzkill but you might want to make sure you're not accidentally committing copyright infringement. I'd hate to be using the site and then have Toyota sue it offline. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but I am not a lawyer.

Edit: Who are we kidding. I love being a buzzkill.

I think the best thing I ever saw was when @DARKNESS took an exploded view diagram and pasted the torque values on the picture(s). Man, what a time saver!

Front Axle Cheatsheet

If you could incorporate something like that into your SuperFSM it would be great!
I love the work so far. The torque table rocks, but I didn't see valve cover or head cover torque values. I don't believe these are actually directly specified in the FSM, but that would be a handy addition/update.

Keep up the progress!
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: <-- For your hard work

The FSM in TIS for my 2006 LX470 has the torque values on the diagrams just like above. VERY convenient

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom