Your dream Gamiviti rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my Gamiviti rack installed. I have a few questions about the fairing. What is the normal protrusion of the fairing compared to the rack? My fairing has 2 sets of holes, 4 on the top and 2 sort of in the middle. I can't bolt the fairing down with the top holes because the bottom of the fairing will hit the roof, if I flip over the clamps (so the bolt is on top of the bar instead of the bottom), the fairing is 2.5" over the rack and I an totally see the bottom drop down bar. When I used the 2 middle holes, now the fairing is 1.5" over the rack and I can see half the drop down bar. What is everyone else's fairings height over the rack? If I drill 4 more holes, I can get the fairing to cover the drop down bar and it'll probably be 1" over the rack. If I go that route, I wonder if the fairing will look funny with 8 other holes, haha.

Like I said in my email the easiest solve is to loosen all the towers the put the front ones up as high as they will go, and that fairing will clear the roof when bolted as intended. Second option is leave the rack height as is then trim the fairing.. these are 1" longer than they used to be, intended to close the gap better between the fairing and roof, a little more adjustment and you can dial this in.

A third option is I have one of the shorter ones still in stock if you'd like to swap that out send me another email.

Hi Tim,

I felt bad e-mailing you so many questions. I like the height of the rack as it sits so I drilled 2 more holes in the fairing (in the center where there are 2 pre drilled holes) so it would be bolted down with 4 clamps. I wanted to get some mud opinions on the height of the fairing before I go and modify the fairing some more. I'm know i'm overthinking this.

It's all good man... you're getting it where you are happy and that is all that matters. I normally don't jump in here but saw this and knew that a lot of the other advise would come from guys with shorter fairings... and that would have potentially been misleading so wanted to make it clear that in 2018 that fairing goes down 1" lower than it used to. Intended to block more wind noise particularly on the 120/200 models, and allows the 100 to get super close to the roof now. Looks like you are getting it dialed in tho.. very cool.

Really happy with this, especially how low-profile it is.

Just finished the install on mine - absolutely love it. I sent a question in about the mounting locations a d Tim called me while I was putting it together! That level of customer service is astounding!!View attachment 2009388

Tim is a super cool dude. I purchased my rack back in 2017. I drove up to CO for a trip and swung by his place to pick it up. He helped me install it too! BEST customer service experience ever. He brought me the awning brackets to HIH8 last year (they are INCREDIBLE if you want to run an awning). I'm getting his ladder and attachable grid panels this summer. He makes some seriously cool stuff and supports it like no other.

Just finished the install on mine - absolutely love it. I sent a question in about the mounting locations a d Tim called me while I was putting it together! That level of customer service is astounding!!View attachment 2009388

More than any of the other photos, I think this one just sold me. Looks great!

I'm researching my roof rack options and really like the Gamiviti. My question is about the expo bar. Nobody seems to run a flat rack and everyone seems to run the expo racks upside down. Why not get a flat rack? Looks like awnings and shovels block the "grab bar" function and unless you have something that lies over the edges, why can't you grab the main bar? Granted, it looks better than the flat rack, but seems like unnecessary weight.

@2manycruisers I had the same thought as you did. I bought my Gamiviti 2 years ago and love it. I bought the Expo++ up. I just didn't see the reason for losing that bar above the rack as a grab bar. I use the Expo up to keep my equipment from sliding too far off to the sides. Sure, I ratchet strap everything to the rack so nothing slides around. The front Expo up bar works great to keep firewood in place.

IMG_2284.jpg

I'm researching my roof rack options and really like the Gamiviti. My question is about the expo bar. Nobody seems to run a flat rack and everyone seems to run the expo racks upside down. Why not get a flat rack? Looks like awnings and shovels block the "grab bar" function and unless you have something that lies over the edges, why can't you grab the main bar? Granted, it looks better than the flat rack, but seems like unnecessary weight.

A few reasons, I guess. I think it just looks better, but I also don't strap stuff to the sides. No awning (yet, though I'm not sure I need one), no shovel, and my hi-lift is on the rear bumper. If you run a light bar, Tim has it worked out where the dropdown blocks the spread of light on the hood.

But mostly looks. All things considered, mine isn't much more useful than a flat rack. And the weight difference is likely negligible—maybe 10-15 pounds, if that?

Even with stuff bolted up to the sides, like a jack or an awning, you can still use the lower Expo bar as a grab handle. I do this a lot... just know it's there so when I jump up on the slider or tire I reach under the awning for that familiar handle. The other big reason to go Expo is when we add those gussets to the sides you get more attachment points, like for shovels or jacks or something... which you wouldn't have had otherwise on just a flat rack. And then of course looks... particularly if you like the newer tapered style. But if your plan was to mount the jack to the top of the rack, or use a different jack mount that mounts on top anyway, then the Expo is less of a factor. But that's why we have options! I have a couple pics of jack mounts on the site here now: http://www.gamiviti.com/jacks also working on redoing a lot of the site in general to make things a little easier to understand, it's a continual work in progress!

And I know I don't poke in here as much as I could/should/used to so feel free to PM or email for anything. :cheers:

I like the look of the basket down on my 200, but if I was building a serious overland 60 or 80 I’d go basket up.

The side gussets are great and totally worth it. I have used the side gussets quite a bit and have my shovel mounted to 2 of them now.

Whichever Gamiviti rack you choose, get the ladder from him. It mounts on the side and is super convenient to get onto the roof. Unlike rear mounted ladders, this one doesn't take up space and is easier to use. Additionally, it's got "quick" releases so you can remove it with the flip of 2 bicycle style clamps and a cotter pin. Also, it's designed so that any hit to the bumper isn't transmitted to the rack. It actually has a pivot at the top to allow the ladder to move vertically so that any hit to the bumper wing won't transmit to the rack and damage it or the body.

I run my "expo" down. I use those for handholds. The tabs are then used for various quick fists that hold my shovel and other gear.

IMG_3990.JPG

Let's talk grids for a minute- I have a love/hate relationship with these. But I continue to work through my issues, and have developed a new solution to this. I'll share first my opinion..

hate: they add weight, about 15-25 pounds. You feel it when you load them to ship them mostly.. but once bolted on really no big deal. They also catch ratchet straps. So if you are used to dragging the loose end of the strap across the rack towards you, forget about it- that dang hook is going to catch every one of those buggers. Also so what if a camping chair falls 2" between the rails and lands on the roof? It's not like it's going anywhere.

love: they do look cool. And it's handy when walking around up there to be able to catch a toe or heel on them. Yes, you can totally stand on them.. and of course smaller gear finds itself a happy home on top of the grid. We run these on the "bottom," so they don't interfere with anything loaded on top of the rack, like your RTT or Home Depot run.

We generally offer the grids in a 3-bar span, and a 6-bar span. And you can be cool like Stan- these were his idea.

View attachment 1236140

View attachment 1236141

View attachment 1236143

Let's talk grids for a minute- I have a love/hate relationship with these. But I continue to work through my issues, and have developed a new solution to this. I'll share first my opinion..

hate: they add weight, about 15-25 pounds. You feel it when you load them to ship them mostly.. but once bolted on really no big deal. They also catch ratchet straps. So if you are used to dragging the loose end of the strap across the rack towards you, forget about it- that dang hook is going to catch every one of those buggers. Also so what if a camping chair falls 2" between the rails and lands on the roof? It's not like it's going anywhere.

love: they do look cool. And it's handy when walking around up there to be able to catch a toe or heel on them. Yes, you can totally stand on them.. and of course smaller gear finds itself a happy home on top of the grid. We run these on the "bottom," so they don't interfere with anything loaded on top of the rack, like your RTT or Home Depot run.

We generally offer the grids in a 3-bar span, and a 6-bar span. And you can be cool like Stan- these were his idea.

View attachment 1236140

View attachment 1236141

View attachment 1236143
My heritage land cruiser just came in. How long does it take to get one? The first photo in this post is generally what I am thinking with the mesh across three bars. I will mainly just carry short and long boards up there but want to have options. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom