Finally acquired my dream truck! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few weeks back my fiancee got fed up with my pining over a Land Cruiser and demanded that I find one for us to buy to use as an adventure vehicle. So I spent the subsequent week scouring FB marketplace. I had initially focused on LX 470s because they are supposedly cheaper and easier to find. This turned out to be less true than I thought...I think that the market has more or less corrected and the prices are almost the same, with a modest premium for the LC 100. More importantly, although there are more LX's on the market (especially in later years), a lot of them were in surprisingly terrible condition, especially from underneath. My fiancee cajoled me into looking specifically for the LC after a few days of exclusively finding NE rust buckets and I'm glad she did.

Almost a week to the day after I started my search, I found my 2004 LC for sale in PA by its second owner. It had 262k miles with an inch-thick folder of service records from the original owner, who had it for 16 years in GA. It had one accident back in '09 listed on autocheck as major damage, but it turned out to just be a sideswipe that was repaired well. The interior was in near perfect condition - none of the leather is even cracked. Second owner did timing belt and water pump at around 260k. After test driving and getting a PPI at a dealer, I walked away with the keys after paying $13,900.

Overall I think I got a decent deal. The PPI wasn't completely clean but I still get a stupid smile on my face every time I drive it. Here's what's wrong with it:

• VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights stay on after unlocking the center diff - throws code c1340. I took it to the dealer for diagnostics after coming home and they recommended I replace all 3 diff lock switches. Thankfully they said the diff locks just fine. Searched the forum and this more or less seems to be the recommendation on here.
  • Steering rack is leaking. My mechanic said it's not urgent and I can just top up fluid but I think I'll replace it with an OEM rack anyway since I plan on off roading. Does this sound reasonable or am I being a baby?
  • CV joints are both leaking but no symptoms as of yet. I have had bad experiences with rebooting axles and I honestly don't think it's worth saving a few hundred bucks but I'm curious what you guys think. I can't work on it myself since I don't have the space. Hopefully the axles aren't frozen in... Should I drive with the axles until they're toast? Again, I'm wary of doing this because I'll be taking it off road although I don't plan on doing anything super technical.
Anyway, I'm glad to join the club. Although the 80 was undoubtedly my first love, the civility and refinement of the 100 made this choice a no-brainer. Also the 200 is way the **** out of my price range and it doesn't have the retro charm of the 100, whose styling is IMO timeless.
IMG_0149.jpg

Do the rack. It will only get worse and make a mess and maybe wear out your pump if it struggles. If you can wrench you can save a bundle by doing it yourself. There is a good thread on it.

Are the CV boots torn or are you leaking diff fluid? Re-booting is a filthy job and needs the crimper but I have done it several times. Not technically difficult. Go ahead and repack bearings while at it.

As far as the codes? I am on my couch drinking beer. That demands research i have no inclination to do at the moment.

Enjoy the truck!

Was this truck for sale in Bethlehem? I hit the guy up back in February and he never responded. Looks clean!

Was this truck for sale in Bethlehem? I hit the guy up back in February and he never responded. Looks clean!
Huh, I didn't know he listed it back then. How much was it in February? He really didn't want to negotiate down from $14,500 and was adamant about keeping firm to his price. Even what I paid ($13,900) feels like too much but after accounting for how much it would be to fly and drive a truck home I don't think it's a terrible deal. At some level I just cut my losses and said I'd wasted enough time on FB marketplace.

Do the rack. It will only get worse and make a mess and maybe wear out your pump if it struggles. If you can wrench you can save a bundle by doing it yourself. There is a good thread on it.

Are the CV boots torn or are you leaking diff fluid? Re-booting is a filthy job and needs the crimper but I have done it several times. Not technically difficult. Go ahead and repack bearings while at it.

As far as the codes? I am on my couch drinking beer. That demands research i have no inclination to do at the moment.

Enjoy the truck!
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely do the rack. I hope the beer was good!

Congrats. Fellow 2004 owner here, 8 years in and still love it. Is that the thundercloud color? My rack and CVs are doing the same thing after 230k miles, just keep an eye on everything. Now just pop off those running boards, get some factory front mudflaps, AT tires and you’re good to go just about anywhere.

It’s been listed since around Jan at 14,500. Messaged him saying I was interested but closer to 10-12k depending on condition, no responses guess he didn’t like my price.

I had a lead on an 03 from CA(18years then 1 in Michigan that I ended up rolling the dice and shipping in. 13,800 for mine, 180k. Rack was already replaced and TB/Water pump. My interior leather is trashed though, also some faded paint.

I shipped because it was cheaper than a plane ticket and spending the fuel to come back. I had a mud member check it over before buying though.

Not many hundys are perfect, I got a coil going bad, replaced plugs 1000 miles ago and gave it a good test drive pedal to the floor no problems... 1 month later I get a random miss on cyl 1 under load. Idles fine. What do we expect buying 20 year old cars 🤘

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom