Steering rack boot replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unfortunately, you'll have to unscrew the tie rod end. Mark where the lock nut is located, crack loose it a tiny bit and then remove the outer tie rod.

Unfortunately, you'll have to unscrew the tie rod end. Mark where the lock nut is located, crack loose it a tiny bit and then remove the outer tie rod.
I saw on utube where someone with an lexus is was able to use a zip lock bag over the tire rod , lube it real good with grease and after warming the small end of the new boot stretch it and slip it over the tire rod end ( after disconnecting from the hub) cut off the old boot and install clamps on the new boot and be done..the tie rod end did look smaller than mine..just curious if anyone had tried that..

I've seen that video. Do not do it that way. You'd very likely damage boot. Additionally, it would require pulling TRE's ball joint from knuckle.

Very simple, to just unthread outer TRE from inner.
To insure thread back together, so alignment not changed. Just count threads, before breaking loose lock nut.

When breaking loose the TRE lock nut. Make sure to hold outer TRE with one wrench, as you turn lock nut with another. Some penetrating oil on lock nut, a few days in advance, can be helpful. I use two 15" or larger crescent wrenches

Tricky part is releasing and locking inner boot clamp. But that is easy, when you know how.
Note if planning on reusing the OEM inner large clamp. It's best to squeeze to release. Just prying off without squeezing, wears catches tip off clamps lock.

Last edited:
I've seen that video. Do not do it that way. You'd very likely damage boot. Additionally, it would require pulling TRE's ball joint from knuckle.

Very simple, to just unthread outer TRE from inner.
To insure thread back together, so alignment not changed. Just count threads, before breaking loose lock nut.

When breaking loose the TRE lock nut. Make sure to hold outer TRE with one wrench, as you turn lock nut with another. Some penetrating oil on lock nut, a few days in advance, can be helpful. I use two 15" or larger crescent wrenches

Tricky part is releasing and locking inner boot clamp. But that is easy, when you know how.
Note if planning on reusing the OEM inner large clamp. It's best to squeeze to release. Just prying off without squeezing, wears catches tip off clamps lock.

SWEET!!! Thank you ..now to order the boots…

My steering boots look real bad and are leaking too. Need to do this. Replacing the whole steering link assembly is definitely not preferred as that's a heck of a job and the whole assembly is expensive. Just swapping boots and clamps will be more economical and easier...

When putting on the new boots, is there any grease or fluid we have to squeeze in it? like the CV Axles boots have grease.

My steering boots look real bad and are leaking too. Need to do this. Replacing the whole steering link assembly is definitely not preferred as that's a heck of a job and the whole assembly is expensive. Just swapping boots and clamps will be more economical and easier...

When putting on the new boots, is there any grease or fluid we have to squeeze in it? like the CV Axles boots have grease.
If you have fluid coming from the bellows boots unfortunately the only fix is a rack replacement...your rack seals are done...the bellows are basically dust shields meant to keep dust/dirt from getting to those seals and protecting the inner tie rod ball/socket joint, not holding fluid! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

I have a torn steering rack boot on my 06 LX can I change it without unscrewing the tire rod end?
Well, fluid started leaking on the garage floor so bit the bullet and had new steering rack installed….What. A Difference!!! Bought this 06 2 years ago and always wondered why my 00 drove so much better…yes the wear inside the rack made the 06 ‘wonder’ when on the interstate almost sold it for this reason…now with new rack it drives ‘straight and true’ at speed..money well spent we did the rack on the 00 at about 200k also..

Well, fluid started leaking on the garage floor so bit the bullet and had new steering rack installed….What. A Difference!!! Bought this 06 2 years ago and always wondered why my 00 drove so much better…yes the wear inside the rack made the 06 ‘wonder’ when on the interstate almost sold it for this reason…now with new rack it drives ‘straight and true’ at speed..money well spent we did the rack on the 00 at about 200k also..

How much was the parts and labor swap for yours?

Work completed 1/30/2024 at 199k miles by my master toyota mechanic independent..( been taking care of my 00 Tundra and 00lx for last 24 years)
R&R steering rack labor : $390
Steering rack w/o outer tie rod ends : $825.36 (Toyota parts)
12 ounce power steering fluid: $10.64
Total: $1226 + local tax $50.16 = $1276.16
Just drove 400 mile trip at 75-80 mph hilly ,mountain driving..well worth the money , now truck is enjoyable to drive ALMOST as good as my 00lx with 345k :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom