Steering Rack Bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not sure why everyone says these bushings are hard to get out.... Mine fell out. 🤣🤣🤣
1000002492.jpg

OK, Problem here, apparently I have the earlier style larger bushings because my new ones don't fit (they're too small) Any recommendations on where to get the proper ones?

I don't no which/whos polys you have. But I've a couple of the Whiteline ploy W13210 Steering rack 98-02 kits on my shelve. I've installed a few of the kits. IIRC they're a tight fit. It's been awhile since I did a 98-02 w/ploy. Again IIRC, I put in one halve of bushing in socket of the rack. Then the center steel bushing, into the bushing which I'd just placed in rack. Then placed second halve of bushing, in position. Then used bolt and nut to press that second 1/2 of bushing on center steel bushing and into rack. It's tight. BTW: make sure to lube the bushings with lube included in the kit.

There are numbers post in the 100 series tech section, dealing with installing ploy rack bushing install. Search and you see some.

Not trying to hijack but I'm pretty sure my rack bushings are done in my '01. Which poly kit works best?

I don't no which/whos polys you have. But I've a couple of the Whiteline ploy W13210 Steering rack 98-02 kits on my shelve. I've installed a few of the kits. IIRC they're a tight fit. It's been awhile since I did a 98-02 w/ploy. Again IIRC, I put in one halve of bushing in socket of the rack. Then the center steel bushing, into the bushing which I'd just placed in rack. Then placed second halve of bushing, in position. Then used bolt and nut to press that second 1/2 of bushing on center steel bushing and into rack. It's tight. BTW: make sure to lube the bushings with lube included in the kit.

There are numbers post in the 100 series tech section, dealing with installing ploy rack bushing install. Search and you see some.
Thanks for the tips! I filed a small amount of the leading edge to get it to center itself a little better (like a 1/16th") and was able to get it to start. Had to stop and go the the hardware store to buy a longer bolt and washer to act as a "puller" to squeeze it all together. I'll be finishing it up this evening.

Not trying to hijack but I'm pretty sure my rack bushings are done in my '01. Which poly kit works best?
I ordered mine off of Amazon, Shipped from "Clauss Studios" frim Ricochet polyurethane technologies for $44 (did NOT come with the required lube)

Last edited:
Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Whiteline ploy W13210 Steering rack 98-02 kits, is only poly I've used. Slee install and sell them! "A little hard, as all ploy are"
I've also installed rubber, IE style, from rack rebuilders. "A little soft"
New OEM rack comes with best rubber bushings. "Just right!"

Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Whiteline ploy W13210 Steering rack 98-02 kits, is only poly I've used. Slee install and sell them! "A little hard, as all ploy are"
I've also installed rubber, IE style, from rack rebuilders. "A little soft"
New OEM rack comes with best rubber bushings. "Just right!"

I've read in other steering rack threads that OEM rubber bushings and poly "D" bushing ('98-'02 rack). Do you like that combo or all OEM on a new OEM rack?

I've read in other steering rack threads that OEM rubber bushings and poly "D" bushing ('98-'02 rack). Do you like that combo or all OEM on a new OEM rack?
I went OEM on both because the steering rack came from the dealer with OEM pre-installed on the smaller ones and we just added OEM "D" bushing to the tab, but I like the idea of the Whiteline poly "D" bushing as well.

OEM is best. Only available in new OEM racks.

I've have had some issues with aftermarket rubber replacement rack bushing. Where, if suspension a bit loose. Especially in AHC, setup for a soft ride. Where the ruts in the HWY, will set-off TRAC/ABS! Spooky!

Ploys are stiff, and work fine. But they do put added force into rack, ball joints, TRE and hands on the steering wheel.

If rack okay, replace bad mounting bushing with your choice. Stiff or soft!

But number one issue, where I call Rack bad. Is leaking at output shafts, seen as wet boots. That leak just get worst. If mounting bushing also bad. I just replace the rack. Most times, I also replace outer TRE (OEM only). With the new OEM racks. We get new seals, new bushing, new inner TRE, new boots, etc. Just inner TREs alone, make the racks a great deal. Inner TRE are costly to replace. So new rack is a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom