You guys talked me into it! Springs and shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I asked before how hard it was to replace the springs and shocks and you guys convinced me it was the right thing to do.

So I want to change out the springs, shackels and shocks. I was thinking of Ranch 5000 and a 2.5inch lift

Rocky Mountain Cruisers can get me everything I need for about $750. I was curious if there are other suppliers that are less expensive. I have a wife and two teenage daughters and its hard enough keeping up with them.

Any advise from those who have treaded here before? I am talking about the FJ40, not the wife and daughters Thanks.

You may want to look into diffrent lifts besides the rancho lift...they are supposed to be VERY stiff. I would suggest the Sky jacker soft rides...and i think you can get them through 4Wheelp Parts wholesaler online...if you look a bunch of times you can even get them with free shipping....i **think** i have a rancho kit and it is very stuff but my susspension is shot also...i decided to switch to SOA with 62 axles, 55 rear springs, 40 springs in the front...ect ect....

Stew...going for broke...wait i am almost there...can always sell my body to science....

I would go with a Skyjacker 2.5 incher from www.4wheelparts.com.
They have free shipping deals very often. I got my 4" with free shipping for $630. Including springs, ubolts, shocks, shock bushings, and 8 spring bushings.
Only other thing you need if you reuse the old spring pins and shackles is the 8 shackle to frame bushings available from SOR.

Ironman Leaf Springs, Dampers, Bushings, Shackles and U-Bolts = Australian $1,400 includes Fitting. :cheers: Is about a 50mm Lift and the Spring Rates are increase 20%-25% 8) This would be the way If mine needed replacment. :flipoff2:

If you are just moderately resourcefull you can do the poor man's SOA for about a $1000.00. even after putting in 2.5 skywackers and raunchy 5000's you will still wish for a SOA with raunchy9000's and the longer wheelbase and wheel travel. You will then have plenty of room for 35's which is the biggest tire you can reasonbly go without regearing. Not the mention the improved articulation the SOA will give you. It is not the slickest or fanciest of the SOA jobs but it does work well and fits the average guys budget.

keep your eyes open and you cna pick up some good cheap 2.5" spring used...then buy the bushings/shackles (assuming you want some lift??) shocks etc. from whoever is cheapest. or just do the SOA :D

oh yeah...id avoid 4WP at all costs... :rolleyes:

I'm with axle on this one. The SOA can be done affordably and absolutely outperforms a spring lift. With 3 FJ40s in our stable we have had a wonderful opportunity to compare different setups. The SOA is, IMHO, the best bang for the buck.

Yesterday I went to the National 4x4 Show and saw the Chapel Corner Tyre Service SOA 1978 FJ40 with these on. :eek: :flipoff2:

Is the only reason why the 280/85 16 fit, Is that the Relay Rod has been removed, for the fitment of Power Steering?

I appreciate the advice on the SOA. However, to do that right is out of my budget. Installing the 2.5" skylift myself is about as expensive (~$650) as I want to go. Ron at Rocky Mtn Cruisers looked at my vehicle and said that the pins are rusted and not giving the play they should. He said replacing the springs, shackels, shocks and pins would provide a better ride. I could just do nothing for a while.

That's my delima. Do nothing for now. Wait maybe a year or two and then do an SOA, or do the 2.5inch Skyjacker now.

I just had another thought ( I am so damn cheap). If it is my shackels and pins that have the problem (along with tired shocks) how do I know if my springs need replacing? If I replace the shackels, pins and shocks only, I'll save some dough.

Relpacing the shakles pins and shocks, is a way to go, but if you already have that stuff removed you might as well put in the springs. a few more hours at the most. since you can "hot wrench" the old u bolts. Most of the hard work has been done at this point. you might be able to sell your old stock springs if they are still in decent shape. A few Bucks beats haveing your garbage man "lift" them into his truck.

I would do the 2.5 and see how you like it.

Don't know why the guys above said to stay away from 4wheel parts. My order had no problems whatsoever. I did 2.5" skyjacker with shocks, ubolts etc - like CruisinGA mentioned. All for 598 I think with 20 or so for handling. Shipping is almost always free. I'd go that route, then you can afford to buy new shackles and spring pins if you need to.

Support a cruiser shop or a local shop if you can, even if you have to pay a little bit more. 4WP is a freaking monopoly. they are most likely getting your money anyway through the smaller shop, since they are one of the few that has enough cash to keep a lot of stock from the big suppliers.

Sorry for the rant, I just dont like them. If they got your order right the first time and for the quoted price, excellent, you beat the odds. I have had bad experiences with them in the past so I don't plan to give them the chance to screw me in the future.

Anyway, the moral of that novel....go to the TLCA website and call around to all the vendors that support our hobby, and order from whoever is cheapest from that list.

[quote author=romerk link=board=1;threadid=6765;start=msg55926#msg55926 date=1067311222]
I just had another thought ( I am so damn cheap). If it is my shackels and pins that have the problem (along with tired shocks) how do I know if my springs need replacing? If I replace the shackels, pins and shocks only, I'll save some dough.
[/quote]
Same issue here,
I decided to go ahead and go with a 4" lift and 33x12.5 TSL's. This allowed me to do most of what I want in the meantime, instead of waiting indefinatly to spring over. Not to mention my cruiser DD, and I couldn't afford the dowtime associated with a non-rushed SOA.
Planning is good, but too much and you never get to wheel, and thats what its all about anyway, right?
Springs are only really in dire need of repair when there is a cracked or snapped leaf, other than that the reason most people replace stockers is because they are sagging or have no flex. Mine were not broken, and had I just replaced the bushings and shackles and greased it all up, my ride probably would have significantly improved, albiet still sagging. I decided that for the same amount of labor I wanted to be able to fit 33"s and gain some flex. So I dropped in Skyjacker springs. If you aren't doing a lot of wheeling now, and an SOA is in the not too distant future, replacing bushings, pins and shackles with greasable units to gain a better ride would not be a bad idea, and then when you SOA, you have all new hardware in there ready to recieve the SOA'd springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom