Yellow Box speed calibrator install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

92LXAZ

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone have detailed instructions to install the Yellow Box, pics etc? Woody's link doesn't work. I ordered it with the plug and play wiring harness so I just need to know where the speed sensor harness is. I looked behind the glove box and didn't see any harnesses that might look like a match. Hopefully they sent me the correct one. Thanks.

Its a pain if you try to tie into the wire itself. There is very little room. Its easier, as Rick said, to go from the terminal. That said, my particular Yellowbox has been giving me problems. For me it doesn't always activate before the truck starts. Which means that my speedometer reads zero til I restart.

This could easily be a bad connection but I am usually pretty good about electrical.

Last edited:
Its a pain if you try to tie into the wire itself. There is very little room. Its easier, as Rick said, to go from the terminal. That said, my particular Yellowbox has been giving me problems. For me it doesn't always activate before the truck starts. Which means that my speedometer reads zero til I restart.

This could easily be a bad connection but I am usually pretty good about electrical.

I just installed a V5 yellow box and it went real smooth. I'm not sure how new this feature is but there is a test mode where it will send a 100mhz signal to the speedo for a period of time so you can confirm everything is wired correctly.

And once you enter adjustment mode you can calibrate by either tapping on the + - keys to either add in 1% increments or .1% increments.

I just installed a V5 yellow box and it went real smooth. I'm not sure how new this feature is but there is a test mode where it will send a 100mhz signal to the speedo for a period of time so you can confirm everything is wired correctly.

And once you enter adjustment mode you can calibrate by either tapping on the + - keys to either add in 1% increments or .1% increments.

Ah man! THAT right there would have made my life infinitely easier.

Hey Rick, I have the V5 as well. Can you PM the wiring instructions? Or did you get the pre-wired harness with it? I have the harness and was trying to figure out how to route it from the speedo sensor by the tranny up to the cabin...if possible. Don't feel right leaving it under the vehcile exposed. Thanks.

I don't use a pre-wired harness just the one that comes with the box. The connector IH1 is behind the glove box and that connectors has 12v, ground and the VDO signal from the speed sensor.

You basically tap onto the 12v and ground wires and then cut the VDO wire and then attache the two Signal wires from the yellow box on to those ends. You just need to get the orientation right so the wire coming from the sensor goes to the correct one of the yellow box. Otherwise it won't work.

I don't have the schematic for the yellow box but if you post up an image of it I'll post up a pick of the connector with instructions.

Just did this mod after the re-gear. If you ordered the plug and play harness it's comical how simple it is. Unplug the speed sensor from the t-case and plug in the harness inline. The percentage adjustment is cake as well. I spent about 10 minutes calibrating and that was it. Definitely a worthwhile mod.

My 80 has the Superlift TruSpeed Calibrator(same as Slees) installed by an exclusive speedo shop and it was installed to the left of the instrument cluster. The set up works perfect and speed is accurate.

Just did this mod after the re-gear. If you ordered the plug and play harness it's comical how simple it is. Unplug the speed sensor from the t-case and plug in the harness inline. The percentage adjustment is cake as well. I spent about 10 minutes calibrating and that was it. Definitely a worthwhile mod.

I apologize for the necropost, but I was wondering how you mounted the yellowbox. Did you leave it under the vehicle or did you route it up inside somehow? I just received a v5 with the plug and play harness. I cobbled together a mounting solution under the vehicle, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to do it. Thanks.

I ended up getting the plug and play harness as well and left mine under the vehicle wrapped in a plastic bag and electrical taped to the cross member. I know that doesn't help answer your question if there is a better way as I know there is a better way than this. That's how I threw it together two years ago. It's worked this whole time but I'd actually be interested in your solution.

I ran wires up passenger side of tranny to a small access hole just forward of console on passenger inner floor hump. They are just long enough to reach. There is a medium sized plug there. Just left it there after programming it so it is up in the dry. May try wiring into harness later.

I ran wires up passenger side of tranny to a small access hole just forward of console on passenger inner floor hump. They are just long enough to reach. There is a medium sized plug there. Just left it there after programming it so it is up in the dry. May try wiring into harness later.

OOOOOOOOOLD post bump.
Curious if you are saying you got yours in the cab? Have the adapter harness. Just short enough to not reach the firewalll grommet, don't want it in the hot engine bay. I'm debating just adding a grommet to the ebrake plate and popping a small hole in it. But i always prefer using factory holes. I didn't find any grommets where you're talking about.

OOOOOOOOOLD post bump.
Curious if you are saying you got yours in the cab? Have the adapter harness. Just short enough to not reach the firewalll grommet, don't want it in the hot engine bay. I'm debating just adding a grommet to the ebrake plate and popping a small hole in it. But i always prefer using factory holes. I didn't find any grommets where you're talking about.
yes i have mine in the cab just right of the center console/foot well

OOOOOOOOOLD post bump.
I went the E-brake route as well. Just unbolt the e-brake, feed the wires through the gap and re-bolt. Really easy.

FWIW i found the grommet on the pass side of the trans tunnel, right behind the carpet/below stereo. Flopped the glove box down and routed it up into there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom