ABS Speed Sensor Gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I'm new to Landcruisers and relatively new to the community. I've found all the information and resources to be very helpful so far, so thank you all!

I'm trying to work through the issues in my 97 FZJ 80 one by one as time allows. I've had an ABS light on since I got it. I Checked the code using the service manual procedure and found codes 22 (Open or short circuit in 3 position solenoid circuit for Left front wheel) and 43 (Malfunction in Decelerator sensor). I pulled the ABS sensor from my LF wheel last night and it appears as though there is disintegrating gasket material between the sensor flange and the knuckle body. I Cleaned up the sensor - though it didn't look that dirty at the time. The Rubber O-ring was also a bit beat up and there was some rust colored discoloration around the top by that O-ring. After cleaning it up and putting it back, I still have code 22 but wondering if it could be because of the rough connection between the sensor and the knuckle.

Is there supposed to be a gasket there? Any suggestion as to where to find one? If I scrape all that material off and put it straight into the knuckle, do I risk contact between the tip of the sensor and the teeth of the ring inside the knuckle?
Also, I found a post saying the o-ring is 1.5mm x 17.5mm - I've found 1.5mm x 14.5mm ID, 17mm OD online. Can anyone confirm this is the correct O ring for abs sensors?

I'm going to pull apart the shifter housing area to get a visual inspect of the deceleration sensor to look for any problems - any suggestions for this issue? I've only found a couple previous posts discussing this ABS code/

Lastly and possibly the token stupid questions - can I add Moly grease to the Birf through that sensor hole? There appeared to be a fair bit of grease on the tip of the sensor and just inside the hole, but my Birfs look dry from the outside. Everything is rusty and my Wrenching experience is limited so I'm reluctant to really dig into the Birfs myself just yet.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

This is only a partial answer but hopefully it's still helpful:
  • No gasket and just an oring on the sensors to my knowledge and once the ABS is working my experience says that you want the surfaces really clean so that the sensors are fully seated. I had grit under a sensor one time and that wheel started triggering the ABS on bumps until I cleaned and reseated it.
  • Just add grease through the square headed fill plug. You can stick the end of a grease gun in there and pump the moly straight in. A general cleaning of the knuckle balls and then checking them carefully after you drive some can give you a sense of the grease level inside.
  • When the sensors are out clean them up well, primarily to get the metal shavings off the magnetic tip, then clean the hole/surface and install them nice and flush. You probably don't want to be removing/reinstalling them a lot and may just want to pull them when you service the knuckles in the future.
  • Someone else will have a better troubleshooting procedure on those codes but I'd look for open connections, damaged wires or other shorts. You should be able to test the continuity of a sensor at the plug closest to the sensor with an ohm meter and then potentially work back from there through the circuit to find which section has a short (if any). I've only dealt with one short which was close to a front sensor and I was able to splice it and have that sensor perform without issue in the years since I made the repair. Give the location of that short it was easy to find and there was visible damage to the sensor wire that gave me the first clue.
  • There are other ways to disable ABS like locking the center diff, etc. It's possible that you may have some ABS dependency that is unmet and that is contributing to the ABS light being on from outside of the ABS sensors/circuits themselves. It sounds like you likely have issues with the ABS sensor connections or other parts of the system but I just wanted to make sure you knew that there are sensors/controls outside of the ABS system that can also be relevant factors.
Good luck,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom