Yakima Lock n Load Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

been looking for something like this to run dual cargo boxes. 3kids + spouse is alot of equipment and an RTT is not an option. we ground tent and bringing supplies for all 5 overland i need lots of cargo area.

looking forward to the reports.

I run dual cargo boxes with my 59” Yakima lock n load bars. Same boat as you, 3 kids, wife, and a dog. Works out great.

07C5A4A7-216B-4509-8E6F-08588704537F.jpeg

Yes, there will be vehicle specific fits as the system attaches directly to the Yakima Streamline towers.
Their fit team apparently is finalizing the fits by vehicle.
One thing that was clear: in Australia it is MUCH more common to have a "fixed point" install done one way or another. By that I mean that they are not using clip-based fits for these but are instead either accessing available hard points in the roof (as in many Tacoma/LC series,4Runner, etc) or if there is no existing fixed point, creating one with a drill install. That is the only way to get the full 400lb strength with the platform. As soon as I get it I will take pictures of assembly, install and first impressions.

Yes, there will be vehicle specific fits as the system attaches directly to the Yakima Streamline towers.
Their fit team apparently is finalizing the fits by vehicle.
One thing that was clear: in Australia it is MUCH more common to have a "fixed point" install done one way or another. By that I mean that they are not using clip-based fits for these but are instead either accessing available hard points in the roof (as in many Tacoma/LC series,4Runner, etc) or if there is no existing fixed point, creating one with a drill install. That is the only way to get the full 400lb strength with the platform. As soon as I get it I will take pictures of assembly, install and first impressions.
I'm really excited to hear they are bringing in these platforms. Do you have any idea if the LockNLoad platform would have the ability to mount to the Rhino Rack Backbone? I've watched a LockNload assembly video, but hard to tell if the two would come together well.

I'm really excited to hear they are bringing in these platforms. Do you have any idea if the LockNLoad platform would have the ability to mount to the Rhino Rack Backbone? I've watched a LockNload assembly video, but hard to tell if the two would come together well.
MontanaCruiser: I did a little digging and my initial reply is a "definite maybe". Looking at the instructions for the Backbone system, it does appear to be a T-slot based system in terms of attaching Rhino's pioneer platform. The LockNLoad uses a similar perimeter track and is also a t-slot based system. Based on that and assuming that your "tower to tower width" (measured across the roof from left to right) is the same as the platform underside mounting tracks you would be good to go. In other words, the Legos will connect, the only question is around the specific measurements of your roof and existing mounting systems.

Do me a favor and measure that width for me from center bolt to center bolt across the width of your cab on your existing Backbone towers. I'll shoot that to a friend at Yakima and see if those dimensions match with one of the LockNLoads.

Extended explanation:

This does call out one of the big differences (beyond slat direction and load rating) between the Yakima and Rhino systems: flexibility of fit. As with Yakima's other top-of-vehicle racking systems (streamline, etc) there is a lot of adjustment built into the system in terms of angles, mounting dimensions and offset/toe. This allows a customer to use the same platform/rack combo on a much wider array of vehicles vs having a more "vehicle-specific" fit system like Gobi, Rhino, FrontRunner etc. where each vehicle has a unique platform for it based on its exact roof dimensions. This is why those brands make so many different sizes (in some cases over 30) where Yakima globally runs just over a dozen and in the US will bring in even fewer to meet the market. This means that if you sell your LC and buy T4R you need to wave goodbye to your Gobi and cough up the dough for a new rack... and explain it to your spouse. With Yakima- only one argument is required per house. Think about that advantage alone.

Put a different way, with the full yakima Streamline tower+LockNLoad platform system you can easily move the system from a Tacoma to a 4Runner to 100 series etc without having to buy ANY new components. The tower interface itself allows for both width adjustment as well as pitch angle to allow for a sloping roof, etc (such as that on the leading edge of most cabs). This adjustment gives you the ability to take your upgrades with you and not lose the value with the resale of your truck. As long as there are hard points its a piece of cake to return one vehicle to stock and upgrade your new ride in about 30 minutes (and folks.... almost ALL of your favorite Toyotas have factory hard points and I am a focusing on Toyota drivers here). That is why Yakima is working with fewer platforms than the rest of the competitive set.

Fingers crossed a pallet of goodies is headed my way today. As soon as I have it in my hot little hands I'll start assembling, photographing and posting for you all to see more closely.

Alpinecowboy, thanks for the response! I don't own the Backbone, but was about to pull the trigger on it and RhinoRack platform when I stumbled on the LockNLoad thread. You make an excellent point about being able to move the Yakima system from rig to rig, I may just go all in on Yakima ....... I do like the sleek look of the Backbone over the Yakima towers, but looks aren't enough.

Can't wait to see your assessment of the Yakima once it arrives.

No sweat! Glad I could help somewhat. I will get some pics and more details up on the system by the end of this week hopefully.

Alright gents and ladies... I have about eight boxes sitting in my office waiting for assembly (pics to follow). Unfortunately... my truck is at Toyota for the next two weeks getting some recall work done so I won't have it "in repose" until I get it back, but will get images up of the process and build of the platform in the meantime. I ordered a bunch of accessories with the Platform since it was an early opportunity and figured "go for it". The build quality is extremely high and everything looks like it was forged with Thor's hammer. I'm excited... I thought about attaching it to my loaner Camry but that seemed in poor taste... 😂😂😂

Alright gents and ladies... I have about eight boxes sitting in my office waiting for assembly (pics to follow). Unfortunately... my truck is at Toyota for the next two weeks getting some recall work done so I won't have it "in repose" until I get it back, but will get images up of the process and build of the platform in the meantime. I ordered a bunch of accessories with the Platform since it was an early opportunity and figured "go for it". The build quality is extremely high and everything looks like it was forged with Thor's hammer. I'm excited... I thought about attaching it to my loaner Camry but that seemed in poor taste... 😂😂😂
Alpinecoyboy: how did the lock and load install go?!

Hey gang, sorry for the delayed reply on the install. I finally got my truck back and installed the rack.
Assembly of the Yakima Lock N'Load platform took me about an hour total. I watched their install video in advance and that was really a cinch in making the assembly go quickly. The platform ships in several pieces, but they are extremely well organized, and the extrusions are designed so that it really only goes together "one way".

Once assembled, I used a friend to help get it on the roof and position it. Because the Yakima system is adjustable, it is easy to get it up on the roof mounts and then play with fitment and position. The adjustment and attachment are pretty clever as it lets you both get perfect positioning as well as mount it on multiple vehicles. I have the Platform K which is their smallest and is perfect for double-cabs (like my tacoma) or any other pickup/small roof setup. This vs the other one's I've looked at where each vehicle needs a specific platform and kit due to the lack of adjustment. Not so here - easy on, easy off.

For the Toyota, I was able to use the existing fixed points on the roof. Anything 80-series LC and newer has fixed points on the roof in the Toyota Library currently including 4Runners, Sequoia's, Tacomas and of Course 100/200 LC's. You just need remove the existing wimpy factory rack to access these high-strength fixed attachment points. I used the Yakima LP22 (Landing Pad 22), and just added a set of 55mm stainless M10 bolts to attach them to my truck's roof.

The Lock N'Load is everything the reviews about it said: strong (400-600lbs), lightweight, low profile, versatile, and useful as a traditional sport rack thanks to the slats running like crossbars... this lets it work with all of my existing boat/bike/cargo accessories from Yakima/Thule etc... yes, it even works with other brand's stuff... and if you have T-slot accessories go for it - this this is loaded with slotting options and mounting points.

Pics below. Hit me with questions. My friends at Yakima said it is hitting their website by this weekend...

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

More pics. I had the siderail kit on there at first but took it off to keep it nice and flat up there. I use tie-downs into track-mounted eyelets for all my cargo needs on it which is VERY effective and quick thanks to the way the platform slats are designed. Anyway, two thumbs up.

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

Looks great! So would the LC version have 3 feet per side? What was the total cost of going this route? Looks like it might be pricey.
Thanks!

The LC could have two or three feet per side depending on how you set it up and how long of a platform you went with. Price-wise I think platform plus feet/mounting hardware sets you back around $1K but I've not see final on that. The platforms are going to range in price from $700-$1400 depending on size just like Rhino and FrontRunner. Mounting hardware is extra in all cases and can vary depending on attachment system.

More pics. I had the siderail kit on there at first but took it off to keep it nice and flat up there. I use tie-downs into track-mounted eyelets for all my cargo needs on it which is VERY effective and quick thanks to the way the platform slats are designed. Anyway, two thumbs up.

View attachment 2086108

View attachment 2086120

View attachment 2086121

View attachment 2086122

View attachment 2086123

So, from what I can tell you have the Lock n Load platform + skyline towers + the lock and load adapters? I think I also need landing pads? Its hard to tell.

How high is this from your roofline? I have a fairly low garage.
How is the wind noise? I have read that racks that consist of vertical bars are sometimes louder.

I'm trying to compare this to a Rhino Rack. Supposedly these are a little beefier and sturdier.

Yes, you need landing pads but everything else you note is correct. I used LP22's for my install and have used them on other Yota/Lexus installs as they seem to fit. You'll need to source some longer M10 nuts but that is about it (Hardware/autopart store).

Platform runs about 2 inches off my roof. As close as regular crossbars. Nice and tight. No problems with most garages but I only have a 2.5" lift.

No issues with wind noise as it has a built in deflector and you can fine tune the placement on your roof in ways that other platforms don't allow because they don't have the adjustment - such as the Pioneer (Rhino).

Now, whoever said the Rhino was beefier and sturdier is straight up making that up. Like fabrication. From thin air. They can come talk to me about it. I'm professionally and extremely familiar with both platforms. I won't say anything bad about the Rhino, but that it is beefier is laughable. The only platforms that I've seen that are "beefier" than the Lock N Load are the completely welded ones. But that is an entirely different animal and price and install path so it's apples and oranges. In the Australian market, Rhino was dominant until Lock N Load was released three years ago. Now it is a hard second place in that market to Yakima's system. There are numerous advantages to the Yakima system and it was entire designed I'm told by their Aussie team so it's really a different beast than the other Yakima products you might be used to. I have always enjoyed the durability and longevity of Yakima (I have round bars that have to be 25 years old now and still work fine) but have to say the Lock N Load takes that durability to an entirely different place.

Not sure if this has been addressed, but some cargo boxes like the newer Thule ones have recessed areas for the 2 crossbars it normally connects to. Those that have this style cargo box you will need to configure something to connect to these platforms.

Good call - 100% correct. You would need to "block" it somehow if you had a recessed mount. For other cargo boxes I have been able successfully take advantage of the T-slots and hard mount that what very nicely.

I looked at Yakima's website and I am not seeing the mounting feet/towers for the 100 series, to attach load bars. What am I not seeing here? Can anyone supply a link?

I am not a yakima expert, but I think this is what is needed for 100 series...for $1500 why not just go Prinsu $900 is what I am thinking.

Might need another set of mounts to have 3 on each side.

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 2.24.44 PM.png

I am not a yakima expert, but I think this is what is needed for 100 series...for $1500 why not just go Prinsu $900 is what I am thinking.

Might need another set of mounts to have 3 on each side.

View attachment 2176872
Thanks for the input. I am only looking for towers/feet and load bars. I have no need for a platform/rack. What am i missing or doing wrong, the website doesn't show that any towers/feet that fit? Thanks again

Thanks for the input. I am only looking for towers/feet and load bars. I have no need for a platform/rack. What am i missing or doing wrong, the website doesn't show that any towers/feet that fit? Thanks again
What are you driving Nightbrew? Is it a 100 Series LC? Do you have factory tracks on the roof or raised side rails?

If you have factory tracks you need four baseline towers (sold as 4 packs or 2 packs), 2x crossbars of your preference (Core bars do the trick), and two pairs of landing pads - Landing Pad 1 specifically. If on the other hand your truck has raised side rails then you will just need to get the "Timberline Kit" - it comes in two sizes depending on how wide you want the crossbars. Both kits are very easy to install and cost pretty much the same.

Either of those setups will give you two cross bars with full roof load capacity at 165lbs. Most of this info would work for an 80 series as well as a variety of T4R's depending on the generation and roof options. All of this would give you a great base rack from which to carry bikes, boats, cargo, a roof top tent, awning, etc... Also the Yakima/Thule/Rhino crossbars and accessories are all cross-compatible so don't let that hang you up (with a VERY VERY few old esoteric exceptions).

Additionally, ALL toyota trucks/SUV's have factory hard points that are VERY easy to access and mount for a "fixed" option as well. If you want to go down that path it requires the removal of any OEM factory racks. That's not a brain bender, but can be an old fashioned hassle sometimes depending on the age and condition of the plastic and hardware. Fixed point installs are also about the same cost as the other two options it just tucks it all al little closer to the roof line... but we all gave up parking garages a long time ago, didn't we?

Hope that helps. Yakima has an easier fit tool: Yakima Infolookup

It also has pictures at the bottom of your vehicle with example racks installed. It is buried on their main website but I like it more for rack fitting purposes.

Last.... and I hesitate because I am sure the product is just fine... but folks should hesitate when comparing Prisnu and major manufacturers such as Yakima or Thule. One word: Testing.

Again, while I am sure that Prisnu racks are nothing less than great, they are also not subjected to the same testing standards or materials inspection processes that more evolved and comprehensive manufacturing facilities provide such as those at the larger brands. While this enables cottage brands a degree of agility and innovative license, it is also a far cry from what folks like Thule and Yakima and Rhino have invested in around vehicle integration, NHTSA & EU testing apparatuses and the dedicated facilities to house and abuse products for years prior to release.

Obviously I am a rack nerd, but these things do matter to me. I trust the engineers at Toyota more than others to understand and design our rigs. Likewise, when they make an aftermarket choice I equally pay attention. In this case, for all major auto makers, there are really only three rack brands that pass the actual manufacturer safety testing and fitment standards and that is Yakima, Rhino and Thule. Again, with all respect to any other racks: I am SURE, like 100%, that they are great and if you have one I'm not picking a fight - in fact, we both know your Baja Rack is cooler than mine. I mean it.

However, I just want to call out what is unknown or behind the scenes and can seem like a cost discrepancy until the light is shed on it. In this case, when you pay "more" from a major rack brand - that "more" you are paying for is product testing. That is why Yakima is the rack partner for Toyota, Ford, Tesla and Jeep while Thule partners with Subaru, Audi/VW & Volvo among others. What that means is that rack engineers at the rack companies are working with vehicle engineers at the car manufactures to get the best possible fit. Anyway.... yawn... I know....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom