Wanted WTB: Good Late Model FJ40 Front Door Shell(s) - [Driver, Passenger, or Both] (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
May the Cruiser Gods smile upon me. I have been passively searching for a good set of 40 front doors for almost three years. The set I acquired for my truck are too oil canned and my attempts to shrink and flatten them have failed miserably. I've been running my truck with Bestop canvas half doors thinking that if I was patient enough the right set would surely float by. Nope. No luck.

So I'm upping the ante and actively soliciting a set of late model door shells.

I just need shells as I do have all the glass, hardware, and repro parts to build a complete set. My current passenger door is in much better shape than the driver door so if you only have one available, I am more interested in finding a good dry driver's side door... or a pair if that's what you have. I'm only looking for dry straight doors because I've already played the rust repair game and lost. I don't know what kind of voodoo magic is required to weld patch panels to these shells without serious warpage... but I don't ever want to try again. What I do know is I need a set of flippin' doors as it's really cold outside!

Please help!

all ollie.jpg

FAIL:

IMG_5575.JPG

May the Cruiser Gods smile upon me. I have been passively searching for a good set of 40 front doors for almost three years. The set I acquired for my truck are too oil canned and my attempts to shrink and flatten them have failed miserably. I've been running my truck with Bestop canvas half doors thinking that if I was patient enough the right set would surely float by. Nope. No luck.

So I'm upping the ante and actively soliciting a set of late model door shells.

I just need shells as I do have all the glass, hardware, and repro parts to build a complete set. My current passenger door is in much better shape than the driver door so if you only have one available, I am more interested in finding a good dry driver's side door... or a pair if that's what you have. I'm only looking for dry straight doors because I've already played the rust repair game and lost. I don't know what kind of voodoo magic is required to weld patch panels to these shells without serious warpage... but I don't ever want to try again. What I do know is I need a set of flippin' doors as it's really cold outside!

Please help!

View attachment 2573184

FAIL:

View attachment 2573185
Why was this a fail? Measurements off?

Why was this a fail? Measurements off?
It’s a fail because the entire outer door shell is oil canned inward. It was over a half inch low when I first started looking at it. After all my work, If I put a flat edge across I’m still about a quarter inch low. Plus, my attempts to shrink it and bring it back to a flat state have made matters worse. The stud gun created hundreds of heat dimples all over it and failed to bring it back. It’s just a sh*tshow now and I’m tired of staring at these unfinished shells. Pretty close to ‘closing the cylinder and spinning it’ on a set of Columbian repro doors.

It’s a fail because the entire outer door shell is oil canned inward. It was over a half inch low when I first started looking at it. After all my work, If I put a flat edge across I’m still about a quarter inch low. Plus, my attempts to shrink it and bring it back to a flat state have made matters worse. The stud gun created hundreds of heat dimples all over it and failed to bring it back. It’s just a sh*tshow now and I’m tired of staring at these unfinished shells. Pretty close to ‘closing the cylinder and spinning it’ on a set of Columbian repro doors.
Gotcha. Doesnt look to bad in the pics. I've got a set of door that needs the lower patch panels as well. Will def. keep your struggles in mind. Thanks,

If you get the SA ones, interested how they turn out. I had the same fail, but plan to try to fix it with fiberglass and bondo. But if I hear good things, I might follow your lead.

These guys sell some too: FJ40 FJ43 FJ45 Steel Front Doors - https://relikgarage.com/collections/body/products/fj40-fj43-fj45-steel-front-doors. Might be the same as the ebay source, not sure.
Looking for feedback on the SA doors as well. They look good but for that kinda money they also need to fit perfectly.

My whole experience with a SA drivers door sucked. Poor construction and damaged in shipping twice from Landcruiserheaven. Here’s one example, didn’t see that one coming.
87F0E15D-9A06-4033-AC59-ECBDE150C037.jpeg

*not mine but I have seen them in person and they are in very good shape. However, they are complete so pretty pricey.
Andy is a nice guy and may work with you on price. Just thought I’d share. Good luck in your search.

*not mine but I have seen them in person and they are in very good shape. However, they are complete so pretty pricey.
Andy is a nice guy and may work with you on price. Just thought I’d share. Good luck in your search.

HOLY CRAP!!! 😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom