Wiring an 8274 + Albright (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys. How do I troubleshoot my albright system? Its hooked up per all the diagrams and when i hit the trigger the first time the motor turned once. Now the contactor is clicking but the motor is not moving at all.

Note, I am using a DB electric motor on mine with an Albright solenoid. How can I test the motor and the albright separately to figure out what's wrong?

You can test the motor by itself, bypassing the contactor, as follows:

Disconnect the contactor.

The three posts on the motor are "A" (armature), "F1" (field 1) and "F2" (field 2). Run a jumper wire from "A" to "F1" and put 12 volts + power from a battery/jumper cables to "F2", and the negative jumper cable from the battery grounded to the motor case. The winch motor should run in one direction when power is applied to the “F2” terminal.

Next swap the jumper wire from "A" to "F2" and put power from the battery to terminal "F1". The winch motor should run in the opposite direction when power is applied to the “F1” terminal.

Update. I tested the motor per the above and it did nothing in both directions. So I think I got a bad one. What was strange is that the first time I hit the switch it worked for about a second before it went dead. It made me think I had wired wrong and somehow fried the motor.

I doubled checked my wiring to be correct. I also found a print on Albright's website (below) on the contactor and validated that it is switching properly (and I have the wiring correct).

Time to pull the motor and see if I can find whats wrong with it and/or replace it. So close to having this done.........:)

Capture.PNG

Update. I tested the motor per the above and it did nothing in both directions. So I think I got a bad one. What was strange is that the first time I hit the switch it worked for about a second before it went dead. It made me think I had wired wrong and somehow fried the motor.

I doubled checked my wiring to be correct. I also found a print on Albright's website (below) on the contactor and validated that it is switching properly (and I have the wiring correct).

Time to pull the motor and see if I can find whats wrong with it and/or replace it. So close to having this done.........:)

I don't see a ground wire in your first picture. Is your motor grounded directly to the battery?

Those motors are pretty simple and pretty sturdy, but the brushes eventually wear down, and the commutator can get dirty or even worn off. Had this happen to me, with a new aftermarket (Chinese made) motor from DB Electric. Winch operation became more and more sporadic until it would hardly ever run. Pulled the motor off and found this:

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

The conductive copper worn off the commutator, in less than 6 moths of occasional use. The motor wouldn't turn because no current could flow through the commutator.

Not saying this is your problem, but it's another possibility. If your motor doesn't turn at all with the test I posted, then it's time to pull it off and take a look.

Warn Contactor part # 34971.

About to pull the trigger on this to replace my troublesome Warn solenoids on my stock motor 8274. My research tells me it’s the one I want. Any experienced hands say no?.

I understand its larger, & I plan to move it under the hood. And several say it’s overkill, generally speaking I like overkill...and in the future I may upgrade the motor to the 9.5 anyway. Just would appreciate some more experienced thoughts before I drop $200.

Thanks.

I have a decision to make. Which way to go:

A) $189.46 Warn 34971 @ Amazon
B. $. 64.99 DC88P 1000 @ Amazon (NOT just DC88p)

Last night I was ready to pull the trigger on the Warn 34971, but while searching I came across info that says the DC88P 1000 (different than just the DC88P) is the exact same unit as the rebranded Warn 34971.

Usually, to be safe, I would just go ahead & get the actual Warn & be done with it. But that’s a significant difference in price, especially if it‘s the ‘exact’ same contactor, made by the same people. We know that Warn has ‘someone’ make this for them.

Does anyone actually know if it’s the same or not. Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:
I have a decision to make. Which way to go:

A) $189.46 Warn 34971 @ Amazon
B. $. 64.99 DC88P 1000 @ Amazon (NOT just DC88p)

Last night I was ready to pull the trigger on the Warn 34971, but while searching I came across info that says the DC88P 1000 (different than just the DC88P) is the exact same unit as the rebranded Warn 34971.

Usually, to be safe, I would just go ahead & get the actual Warn & be done with it. But that’s a significant difference in price, especially if it‘s the ‘exact’ same contactor, made by the same people. We know that Warn has ‘someone’ make this for them.

Does anyone actually know if it’s he same or not. Appreciate your thoughts.

Check post #39 & 40 of this thread. My guess is that Warn 34971 is beefier.

John, the specs on the DC88P 1000 look plenty good for the current requirements of an 8274. The only reservation I would have is whether you are getting a genuine Albright from Amazon suppliers, or a cheap Chinese knock-off.

^^^
That‘s another worry, would I be getting the real thing? One can never know until you get it in your hands.

Right now I’m considering the DC88P 1000, moving it under the hood and wiring it up. Once I do that, if it fails, at least I’ve got the hard work done and I can then get the Warn 34971, with an easy install.

Or just suck it up Buttercup & get the real thing right off the bat.🧐

^^^

So, after searching, debating and then searching some more, unless someone has good info to suggest otherwise, I’ve decided to go with the DC88P-1000 Albright (at least supposedly Albright) at Amazon $65 vs Warn 34971 @ $189.46.

Any thoughts?
. Does anyone have 1st hand experience with either of these contactors?

Last edited:
I'm going through the contactor retrofit myself and received the Amazon Albright DC88P-1000 yesterday. I haven't installed yet but it seems like the real deal. (Note for XD9000i users, it won't fit in the top compartment that housed the solenoids)

Thanks @SlinkyXJ , this is useful information. You are actually the 1st person I’ve found that has bought the newer DC88P-1000.

Can you please look at your new contactor and determine what country it was made in, and if you believe it’s an actual Albright or maybe a knockoff.

On the Amazon site I’m viewing there are 2 reviews. One where the buyer said it was made in China & the other where the seller said it was made in Lithuania. The picture on Amazon also shows Lithuania on the sticker that’s on the contactor.

Right or wrong, I’d feel better if it did not say China.🎯

Thanks.

Thanks @SlinkyXJ , this is useful information. You are actually the 1st person I’ve found that has bought the newer DC88P-1000.

Can you please look at your new contactor and determine what country it was made in, and if you believe it’s an actual Albright or maybe a knockoff.

On the Amazon site I’m viewing there are 2 reviews. One where the buyer said it was made in China & the other where the seller said it was made in Lithuania. The picture on Amazon also shows Lithuania on the sticker that’s on the contactor.

Right or wrong, I’d feel better if it did not say China.🎯

Thanks.

It has the Lietuva and Albright sticker just as pictured, seems legit to me. I can get pics tomorrow. Make sure to get from seller Dieselize.

Right you are @SlinkyXJ . That‘s the seller I’ve been looking at. Appreciate your responses. One of the answered questions was that Lietuva was the same country as Lithuania.

Going to order this today. Thanks again.

Right you are @SlinkyXJ . That‘s the seller I’ve been looking at. Appreciate your responses. One of the answered questions was that Lietuva was the same country as Lithuania.

Going to order this today. Thanks again.

John, keep us posted when you get it...thanks ;)

Will do Scott, its already shipped, with an eta 1/22-1/27. Appreciated your thoughts in our PM’s. Thanks.

EDIT: BTW, I did get a response back from the seller. He said he used to get this contactor from China when they were making them for Superwinch & now that Superwinch is no longer around, he was buying the same ‘real deal’ as he put it, from the new supplier, now in Lithuania.

Won’t know till I get it, but right now I feel good about it and so does @SlinkyXJ On the one he already has.

Last edited:
Super. That picture is beautiful @SlinkyXJ . I feel much better that it’s at least an Albright.

And when I put your picture on the screen right next to a picture of the Warn 34971...they look to be almost the same. One for $65 & one for $189. Looks good so far.👍🍺

Last edited:
I'm using an XD9000i and it won't fit in the original housing without cutting a protrusion opening. I plan to relocate the contactor to underhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom