Wiper Motor Issue With Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Friends, I have been through all of the wiper threads and I am still stumped. I rebuilt the wiper switch and I have checked the wires, but I don't get anything. The previous owner said that he was able to run the motor hooking it directly to a 12v battery. The only thing I keep reading about is a white ground wire which I can't seem to find. The power does look very low at the motor harness connection though, Any insight is greatly appreciated.
IMG_2806.JPG
IMG_2807.JPG
IMG_2793.JPG
IMG_2805.JPG
IMG_2804.JPG

I’d used a voltmeter to check voltage and not that voltage stick. It’ll give you an actual accurate value. Also, run a temp ground to the body of the wiper motor from the battery and see if that makes the motor work. These later motors are known for getting bad grounds through the windshield frame.

Last edited:
I’d used a voltmeter too check voltage and not that voltage stick. It’ll give you an actual accurate value. Also, run a temp ground to the body of the wiper motor from the battery and see if that makes the motor work. These later motors are known for getting bad grounds through the windshield frame.
I apologize for my stupidity, but should I put the ground on the screw on the motor casing and run it directly to the battery positive cable, battery tray or somehere else?

Okay, here's the update. I tried the ground from motor screw to the negative and nothing, so i took the motor completely apart, sprayed it down, cleaned it up, put back together and put it back on. Still nothing. On an interesting note, after all of this my wiper fluid sprayer started working, even without the ground. Any other ideas?

Friends, I have been through all of the wiper threads and I am still stumped. I rebuilt the wiper switch and I have checked the wires, but I don't get anything. The previous owner said that he was able to run the motor hooking it directly to a 12v battery. The only thing I keep reading about is a white ground wire which I can't seem to find. The power does look very low at the motor harness connection though, Any insight is greatly appreciated.
View attachment 2401981View attachment 2401982View attachment 2401983View attachment 2401985View attachment 2401987

can you elaborate on and post photos of the 4 pin connector Housing , coming out the windshield frame , that feeds the connector on the wiper motor itself ?

it looks in your photos as if the rear half is broken / cracked off , and the front section is Burned up pretty bad ?

and maybe even ARC'D and a serious short too place recently ?

i am gonna take a huge leap here , and if im right and only if , the wiper circuit sub harness from motor to the switch assy , might be melted
together or even severed in half do to short circuit trama ?
\
not to mention , how are the brass terminals being held in the housing if the back side is missing ?

perhaps there installed in the incorrect terminal bays too ?

Mine has a ground wire going from the wiper motor assembly that attaches to the chassis

Not yet. I’ll pick up a 12v today and try that.

is that connector cracked and ARC'd out ?

if so that's a huge RED FLAG ............

here is a image that will and can guide you

see the black ground wire and ring terminal @TCEd above mentions ?

that MUST be in place , or bad things will happen , or

nothing at all will happen ..........

1597328304676.png

can you elaborate on and post photos of the 4 pin connector Housing , coming out the windshield frame , that feeds the connector on the wiper motor itself ?

it looks in your photos as if the rear half is broken / cracked off , and the front section is Burned up pretty bad ?

and maybe even ARC'D and a serious short too place recently ?

i am gonna take a huge leap here , and if im right and only if , the wiper circuit sub harness from motor to the switch assy , might be melted
together or even severed in half do to short circuit trama ?
\
not to mention , how are the brass terminals being held in the housing if the back side is missing ?

perhaps there installed in the incorrect terminal bays too ?
I completely agree with everything you said. The female housing is in awful shape, but the male harness from the motor looks fine. I was debating whether I should just label the wires, ditch the female housing, and connect them directly to the motor housing. Do you think the wires might be bad as well?

Why don’t I just drop this in the mail for you today with a few new OEM solid brass terminals too

if you can wait send me a private message with Your shipping addy. etc

it ships this morning soon.............

There is no cost involved .....fyi

Just mud-ship at work ..... :cool:

32104897-3F8E-4F4E-AB33-F5AD824C2BF9.jpeg
084E5D0E-345F-4F22-8E78-DAF7BB4F2924.jpeg

That is also an issue that I saw when I opened everything up. No ground wire. I assume that the ground is attached to one of the two motor screws. Where is it attached to the chassi?
Why don’t I just drop this in the mail for you today with a few new OEM solid brass terminals too

View attachment 2402784View attachment 2402785
Matt, that’s incredibly kind of you. I am going to be out and about today and probably need to pick up a few different ones anyway. i assume that I can find them at most auto store. Am I correct?

thanks !

no worries , we all simply help each other out in any way we can , its the MUD way

as far as finding that 4 pin locking tab oem YAZAKI japan connector housing .250 series / 6.3mm ...........................?

i only buy them directly From YAZAKI in JAPAN , and have them DHL'd to my shop door .................

why ? 🤔

because the only USA based Vendors , and there 2 , mostly that are accessible to the common man , sell made in china KNOCK off's

and thats' another BAD idea , so is seeing the same or similar on EBAY ,

Rubbish !

don't get your feelings hurt and get burned buy this topic ........................just my 2 cents

my shop is outside Washington DC , and i hunted as a teenager the entire DEL MAR VA area only to be sad ...........

then learned , how to call japan from my parents ROTARY wall mounted phone , TOYOTA Dealers back then , never stocked them either
nor do now either .........

just the facts as i understand them

matt

Matt, I will gladly take you up on your offer then. I appreciate all of your help! I am also pm'ing you regarding radio options that you mentioned in my other post. This is such a great site.

is that connector cracked and ARC'd out ?

if so that's a huge RED FLAG ............

here is a image that will and can guide you

see the black ground wire and ring terminal @TCEd above mentions ?

that MUST be in place , or bad things will happen , or

nothing at all will happen ..........

Matt,
If you look at the picture of my housing front view, there isn't even a soldered ground or a connection ground anywhere on the motor that I can see.

perhaps the motor is older 1976 right ?

it simply relays on it being bolted to the windshield frame ground ?

not sure

i bet @Living in the Past knows this riddle and wiper motor mystery faq well .............. 🤔

View attachment 2402784View attachment 2402785
I apologize for the highjack. Matt, where do you get the your factory connectors? This winter I plan on pulling my harness and fixing some PO shenanigans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom