Windshield glass shimmies when it's cold out while driving on bumpy roads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If the weatherstripping was re-used the job did not meet the factory -proscribed procedure.

If the weatherstripping was re-used the jub did not meet the factory -proscribed procedure.
1680023962579.png

Alright, here's some low for for all of us.

Windshield shops nowadays DO NOT apply sealant to the gasket during installation. None was used on the first install and none was used yesterday. The installer who knows his stuff, been in the industry for 20 years says our OEM gaskets do not get sealant. Newer landcruisers apparently need sealant, as well as my old Benz. In fact, some cars don't even have gaskets and only rely on the sealant, like my old Benz for example.

My previous glass was made by Trival and it's the wrong dimensions. Don't use this brand of glass. Pinkerton left New Mexico, hence they used this brand and they probably fed me a line of BS like this is what OEM uses, blah, blah, blah. I now have the FUAYO glass, that has additional U.V. anti glare, tint, along with a brand new gasket. I have no sealant and he swears by this, even though I mentioned that the FSM requires it.

So, we shall see after the next snow storm if I get any water intrustion.

in any case, the installer was able to remove the old glass intact and showed me everything. Any goop you see in the pics was created by me and I did a s***ty job since I still had water leaks.

He took pics of everything that he texted me and I'll share them here:

jEd71GCHChnATqy-Uhvge1wdjqLGuDyShYVTRv4UQHO33e4eAcot4M4DXnKLr1tj9pdMRpn7JmHvNMpe4s4LcnnWRajIoZSCy_kJ4Z2nhKHVEzGNvjkVeCH-cwPFRuJ0puVKLPxOQm_bmj3vjBm1CDQ5eIkmkB0D5o4PcQKWON3RsHBAdQmHk75Sm1we7ZnA-dbHZoUdx0vp3PzY6NmwN5EpESr8CQYmjWHbQjmruO9NqI8GmcJxOLHWeBnt4Y37rd8S7MM0OgwOI2teZCow2N0CWKTkbkWiq1gQEIPWj7nVu8tIV5oVW048gCsyhc2MQdKQK7_R700ooECgHtMTlAYOsWITQN0tI4YCvXWGnZNVpYUCOLu44x-CTLRsN2QInXhBt3cxkc9IWFh18mJqhp3J_Pxfzw38dlhHtNBaif9G6Xg8NRSN_-M3JSXfjJOser9IqGkIHhagD8CetptHbVYgQAvdcvnZ_SVXYRTi2_JNZcrK7Tw4KSPTPptZoYBW2ekgndFSIGcbMHltUBwM9LSkYZzR8pxc-Bh9w3WIqdiRXMi4qG5gYSeeMo_1F8NKeeSRw53ihNWZU_aydXEN6RJ3T7rCiTxTU8EzST5QsQ0Uah-aX49dJnN9-IDGlCSH6EdKltpE8TLc_q7G0O-sVK1k4oPsyXhKcqu77_ZCVi4DcTZhJlqb2xIHaLD5m9GXto_UH5mu-Jn8xYrd73CBaaU4ZjxCq_0DbSqBtrtplJmlE7XOpvH0p_cotR-GD4XJTjPNZ8Yizo9itpPPUBUSTx10zzCt6ne0wh7_PnjY73Spkl6TRuHF1op7Cq13YCYX1vPbPJfCKnlaj1vxMSKHPzxGAfsWIjIlTx01lus1Tt-c3uXBtGQFavCMU0OwCKRzBZ2MPsufbI6L7PZ-kU0MH80FaC80TGpY8QMYWiaaZMyYVQ=w568-h757-no
TdccFC4HIb_iHJWhRuVfovqjmIJ_2UG-4c82PzzkD8cJsPR1JcMh2vNh0NXu8nLPKilM08_BrFSkMmQfW5cqgB0AJpSW-yZdunfR90eMgov8pybxxhPkEDCBAWGaGfZAP-PVTUegQnVrd162mzZXcm7nNebGeerkfiW4aK_XfVvgbUYj6FLOF5nFUtPhc3VjYv4Rb-mN36AZLvdtH55O0ZWfeWPEcIALVYEYYiPve6YkdLBffx_SsrlJ0t90HFEygMnUeWj0v2x36NbdHqxyQLrdF5WW-5bShiCz5X9Y5AgR6wDY7ksi5r_-MbmQw-Y3QfCrpcFU2Cod2rXwc3j-YvmkHACy-1FEVrSpRBxdqknLOfScczXQtibXLbvmJ1kUWqvGqcs-oYPw4APno-P4FosLQ8jOEWqBLrtLJwEUixa0AN9pT8xDcOkqiSmC5PtDNJhi16cPGxgwhvN3L3pTFaEDSobGNOdg7JwniOdc9XoKV_gXZQgULGjOEuX-PzPNadAUcMzkzVqarKolEGRG_Fw20LQUpXurBIWgVZ8stjnWjuIPEdzATrPsGsKyB3axtHI4VlbcBhRLx_VnSpK2Q_FUJ3YuTZAeP-BggSsHJ_1zJoT7x4O6r6jqzcPa0xfliQXwTAer_DbbA3RENe6xvPpZ2C_nvqhlOHcTqb1K7GY5_w64ONB5Ue7Nq22QPiQERPLgD71nGppnapmwzzR0E1ScQblGN1q30rQwvmomnUXUVLmBTs6N7Y-tN1fBSRc0rNYXsV79IS6hQDowAWEkqIN5Rh5qUpvhwBgdzyr7no2_BuhKXdg_RsS3jCC2ZCjDj_5qK3aDbgAUTym01M6H-KcavNoS3IIQlotlcpmg1byvGSN_dJ49rkASSwhgUb5o9PSwwY3APmFlmNuNvUUR7coSvLziWu1F9qCW5Ry5mme52g=w1010-h757-no
6ArT0uJMoLsQ9HQNJ2UL4-qlKntB2GJX1SN73ovAAx_p_JNQP_1mwLOz4GmAycjkSgwCUc2XeOmmHwPbG8pWKgO9yP37JKkxcy54R-y8zxlyHvc-60ESm8V8ENv8dU84VrdUDUgriovmPQA-UeXIcTnjlT_l5ooBUE7p_SL7YGQkHWFJYqDQAwDTJFjPYAxgUXk1wD7mFmh5ngUW49xJJsnE7J8r4VGX9SqEG2DJI6bL0Gr71iaMSc7Oy__twu0MCB207pFtg_rMKcSz30VDXTnv0Q-iPxggZkk5TweMA1SOYhvfECfgZ06qI6i99_W7lV8y2riklruMCdhUsm8zG4s7RHC0eGR4TQwnRRTaKHjFuscWuQ44f3R_-stBknfZnRcC9t00BPaAy_qQplPzE035sPUsuiJxv8X_rSeaps4mQIa3tJx5F_DJvw0nLuvFbG8vWQH-6WqRtXyG5NnV7PFHaMRZEw9Qk4U-xHQrIUZaPrrB1YSGyHwuF0oug_SBDGKXftG1sIkpvpRDPTPe9CSUAuXzBSw3v_76KQiu9WXFX_BqtLFJWnulGQpE3isj10j6cSPGhwcPepepvrxoGdvc5eBhFRVDhyaQA_HT7UvCIO6V_P-m9kOJD1I6s161iQsdm1X3bIbTeKABVdtqleCGA2sNeBxBXMX_4yKfpvlK3bodzS3j89UonL8arFT2djb7042GfUugy6apbMI2PRFhdCWH1OK2rNVmsdRxqA4LdX51L2xPAlZjQVbWHQS0ttmb9ymRJg3dY8Fh2qolpQ1ecQ0ZHRV9-zOyerkl3IjjiiVyZHsDRhJBeyysyVKOm9PbNZv-gZXQXAIhrS0NidnlFZEfmVQXgl6WNfEWgSOggOea612LN83OBb6Hp8U0jGasEj1hqhJ18kV90PvKQ5bxXxzQgBVUPOHc1AeLFaOR4w=w568-h757-no
EqXR4JsU-QM4JOBwAy3EtI_XS_gKHnJqaDWarsQRnkdxKhJZxA6-QqsQs4ICfboxrqO3ABbUGEk6aCmdPDyccTx2q5vGJfZl5jRJD4liMnECuKTShQDGlq3VSJK-gyHTJVE2O0JUk3_TjveZZi_3BuC61CHF-19TzB4kJ2Oo98Tv52DZgJhWQJvvVNCYjFLXROEhga_9WW13Y2yFpLv3Ec1Ehk7Md06Mg8iAJn0E60lc2Z9Iqr54Sb7oa5psNe-iw6vv-Q6OnqJWgOovdikUaRaJ73Ucw3Qu-IaRULKvfJpsrNkRIyzS6sdkFpMejSw0a74wr4GRr9kxBy6A_gGBs3NwW0jRh3lcg1IXQhpqjL5ZfmG_4q5UlVJ3mtF4hsLOhKjxlvxit6zCXl_GTQassEpXfttd1LV32B3MiLgW8-90ET-7PKSna6r-EK9Na9-heTFaWCI56FW6HE_sPUmki3NXH_4nG4HG-ceteDVbFKoRZgy7aNNPLwHVGDOkqkb9PDgQjRfiQoB0cnJuZBoNVfBahvoEPBIIvUJKFZOlUBvppFR1Dwj1PfdjyUH_lV3-O1VqPv_mt__cNU8x0RgXVzOFWs624_p8-5DRhO0F9ullGsbt5io3rlrwkKw4yD9vIHcmKQwuvDEWaLWI2x7eWAuRRkTWJAtVJwNzXyBkiYzhXOcnhKBXegTyEDoKWhWkfzp_QmsJSRkx-NFLEcNTWa0TNCfygH4VMnUUAiXEGJv1ZCF4NS-1xYzK9qkouJL228l6D7V87DTKQ6Wnd948CvK4m84FKDB6Hw3hgiQC0UKU73GTWZKe_dKDE4cL71Mi6RRQ_j_lLhbDxsO8K-pzr3seW8dqTXX4qCyrHAzj0E41BrGs-ta1OjUpnRqrPrzGM6J7NFMl3FEZxYk8kYPjC4z8e84-GxPMgzeZkKEMMmu-5w=w568-h757-no
W2tNvYMu5Ova2kKONINII9PimnFhDmsrICGlvMTNL3jWElw4LpmJN3HXnO5E9aMpmGJX8jmENK-gAQRGPvRAN2BE_7nDUHFLGm7tZgi6f-Wk4FMQ4kynXNWZIJZqPJYWqcI3hx2NB2cqc29hEESqkQV22fbv131avZiQd3Da3fQkvKVh7SXjX-zhW312aNkuI8jdWcwtyv79sFug-YgwtUNgaebD2LbzC3D7G8cLOC42VQlrwQr49I0VkNOxtEKjtYNlHvGmtEbJpciJh9ve_26DtfwKMCVRaw-G-9LEjSX7-1xAYAfX2hXfIlPy8oicS5swqrbHsrxCflQefeq09Y-nQvg5xqyQ9GbBnoTmQQpg4vylB1DE9CsZnZZ3Mo_N6kmYtWWuPzrTUfq82cNiBfJYMiS1u1HqnaNUnRfMyXaIOGR9YkKv5DuCewbFsFdJ-hEN_8u05r087qQdasWq5QTSdoYefaY6xr23DQfzwyy7ybVVXih5mhXKfqTbwvWHlAmJq2seUZy_KGyPdV-loNGN4ye4oHoQhH6lwMsHV5MidPrb9RVVYeE4gaYphpXrXqL5VYiV7CnLiMejrJ5php98Dw-XdEqc08lzkQ1_WoL1c40gKfnJTLQt6DkxDDaPXrgFF6RdAEj3fo1D4fXV6RPfL826jB6aUEKEbxPEuUMbVzR_SjWOfNlJibA_RYoFVWbOh3IPy0yFio-hMzDm54lNHh3oeaOguvs7ivWYMpLkXte181-gyMfUSDAIVG8C6hDJ2v4zWkRhlJiRoD7da3aGG5Zll-o0zuso4b9CHtVxvhENnjyyJtZPIaiUOhRqe9mH0XXSYOGZ-MWOFw0ZtSQqk1mexOmr5K3gDPxwFZ5A_6wCTepkNFXGXbtK2UMU11DSqDhxUzJDkACsC_or3Q3kay1FUj1UDn6lQayo771cZQ=w568-h757-no

Dang, this is part I was really wondering about. So you’re saying they double screwed me?

I have a very tiny amount of water ingress in the DS lower corner of mine and I chalk that up to all the precip we’ve gotten in N California this year as opposed to the last few. I had my new windshield installed well over a year and a half ago. Trying to come to a favorable resolution with the previous installer would be a fool’s errand at this point.

So, try this exercise to see if your glass actually has the correct dimensions. Push out the glass from the inside and see if it moves. My installer yesterday did this test and immediately noticed the movement.

The installer who knows his stuff, been in the industry for 20 years says our OEM gaskets do not get sealan

Wrong, the fsm clearly states that the gasket gets sealed to the glass and the body with polyurethane. Sorry but it will be leaking within a year. Many people have gone through this same scenario and documented it including myself. And my windshield that leaked was the original oem windshield and it was sealed to the original gasket.

Just some of my observations..subject to debate: After dealing with and resolving my own windshield leaks it seemed to me that a leak anywhere on the outside glass to rubber area would present itself in the inside corners...the lowest spots. In my case it seemed that it was always the glass to rubber seal that was the issue and mine HAD been sealed on installation...but not completely. If you are chasing an inside corner leak (glass to rubber area) you need to reseal the entire outside glass to rubber area not just the where you see the water.
It seems to me that a leaky rubber to metal part of the seal could not find its way to the inside corners (glass to rubber). Maybe ; )

This is an interesting point and I'll put in my .02 cents worth. You DON'T need sealant because the glass that I had installed 16 years ago didn't have any and it never leaked.

Sealant is a band aid from what I learned yesterday. If the gasket and the glass are mated perfectly, nothing should leak. I guess the conclusion here is to purchase a new OEM gasket, then have a glass shop or you, swap out the gasket. Unfortunately, I don't know the dimensions of the OEM windshield and not sure if it's stated anywhere but those numbers are worth checking to make sure you have the correct size glass.

Wrong, the fsm clearly states that the gasket gets sealed to the glass and the body with polyurethane. Sorry but it will be leaking within a year. Many people have gone through this same scenario and documented it including myself.

Sorry

I don't have to wait a year, I can wait for the next snow storm to see if it'll leak.

Also, the glass I installed 16 years ago also didn't have urethane and it never leaked. That was PWG glass + OEM gasket.

No need to be sorry, it's your opinion. Also the FSM is from '96 and technology has improved since then so does everything on our FSM still apply to a "T"? I don't know the answer to that question.

So far, I've gone against the FSM on forced induction, ABS elimination, Tcase modifcation and a boat load of other things 😁

TiVal is another Chinese glass company, inferior to Fuyao another Chinese company.

Fuyao glass is good quality and there are many satisfied users out there. If I couldn’t find a US made windshield, I’d likely settle for a Fuyao based on my research.

Last edited:
TiVal is another Chinese glass company, inferior to Fuyao and other Chinese company.

Fuyao glass is good quality and there are many satisfied users out there. If I couldn’t find a US made windshield, I’d likely settle for a Fuyao based on my research.

This is great feedback, thanks for the education.

No need to be sorry, it's your opinion. Also the FSM is from '96 and technology has improved since then so does everything on our FSM still apply to a "T"? I don't know the answer to that question.

The weatherstrip part number has been the same since the mid 1990s. That means that its makeup remains unchanged. If it needed glue then lt needs it now. Perhaps more than ever, due to glass inconsistencies.
I salute your good luck. Perhaps you should invest in a few lottery tickets.

One other consideration, the glass was specified to be glued in because it is a structural component in body rigidity.

"Windshield shops nowadays DO NOT apply sealant to the gasket during installation."

I was told the same thing by the installer from one of the national chains about 10 years ago. That windshield leaked like a sieve, they came back and they did it again.

For a couple of years it appeared that it wasn't leaking until I discovered by accident that it was leaking one day when I had the sill plate removed and the carpet pulled up partially. It rained that night and the next morning found that the floor gutter on the left side had half an inch of water in it and all the wires behind the left kickpanel had water drops hanging off of them.

Then I put 2+2 together; the cabin had been very humid after a rain storm since the windshield was replaced last.

So I contacted Not-so-safe Lite and filed a formal complaint. Long story short
they paid an independent installer his labor to find the leak and also to install a new OEM Gasket and glass. The installer I picked (after asking around) was the same guy who does the glass work for many of the local dealers, including Toyota. He looked for the leak using a garden hose over one section of the windshield at a time and found where it was leaking from.

We discussed how he was going to seal it and left him with the pages from the FSM for proper windshield installation. No leaks since (10+ years now).

FWIW the DOT number printed on the glass shows where the windshield was manufactured. For the glass in post #23 above it's DOT459:

DOT459FUJIAN YANHUA GLASS INDUSTRY, CO., LTD.HONGLU TOWN, CHINA

FWIW DOT20 is the code for the plant that manufactures OEM Toyota glass:

DOT20ASAHI GLASS CO LTDTOKYO, JAPAN

What Cdan said above is important; for safety the manufacturer specs an adhesive-sealant to keep the winshield in place in the event of an accident.

And now that I remember, I used that point when working with the National chain to get them to approve an OEM replacement and independent installer to do the work. Apparently there's major liability if a windshield is not installed by the factory approved method, personal opinions of a glass installer probably don't too well in court..

Last edited:
"Windshield shops nowadays DO NOT apply sealant to the gasket during installation."

I was told the same thing by the installer from one of the national chains about 10 years ago. That windshield leaked like a sieve, they came back and they did it again.

For a couple of years it appeared that it wasn't leaking until I discovered by accident that it was leaking one day when I had the sill plate removed and the carpet pulled up partially. It rained that night and the next morning found that the floor gutter on the left side had half an inch of water in it and all the wires behind the left kickpanel had water drops hanging off of them.

Then I put 2+2 together; the cabin had been very humid after a rain storm since the windshield was replaced last.

So I contacted Not-so-safe Lite and filed a formal complaint. Long story short
they paid an independent installer his labor to find the leak and also to install a new OEM Gasket and glass. The installer I picked (after asking around) was the same guy who does the glass work for many of the local dealers, including Toyota. He looked for the leak using a garden hose over one section of the windshield at a time and found where it was leaking from.

We discussed how he was going to seal it and left him with the pages from the FSM for proper windshield installation. No leaks since (10+ years now).

FWIW the DOT number printed on the glass shows where the windshield was manufactured. For the glass in post #23 above it's DOT459:

DOT459FUJIAN YANHUA GLASS INDUSTRY, CO., LTD.HONGLU TOWN, CHINA

FWIW DOT20 is the code for the plant that manufactures OEM Toyota glass:

DOT20ASAHI GLASS CO LTDTOKYO, JAPAN

What Cdan said above is important; for safety the manufacturer specs an adhesive-sealant to keep the winshield in place in the event of an accident.

And now that I remember, I used that point when working with the National chain to get them to approve an OEM replacement and independent installer to do the work. Apparently there's major liability if a windshield is not installed by the factory approved method, personal opinions of a glass installer probably don't too well in court..

This is great info, thanks! Learn something new everyday here.

The question that begs to be asked is how do you make an installer put eurethane per the FSM? You're not going to be standing around in the shop while they do this project. You can make copies of the FSM pages then turn them over but that doesn't guarantee anything because you have no way to check if they applied it or not.

So then the next question becomes how big of a job is it to do this project yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom