Windshield glass shimmies when it's cold out while driving on bumpy roads

alia176

SILVER Star
I had a new windshield + new OEM rubber weatherstrip installed this summer. As the temps are dropping, the windshield is shimmying while going over bumps. Should I squeeze in some windshield urethane between the glass and the weatherstrip, then again between the body and the weatherstrip? Or, did the installer forget to do this and I'm now suffering the ill effects? I suppose I can take it back to the shop and ask. I've spent a lot of $$$ at this shop over the years.

1668721926249.png

1668721977490.png

jfz80

Cruisin’
That was the symptom (accompanied by squeaking) when the bond between glass and gasket failed on mine. Minor leak in lower corners but the squeak became too much and installed new glass and gasket with adhesive on both sides of gasket.

Sounds like it wasn't installed correctly: should have adhesive-sealant applied between the glass and the gasket and then between the gasket and the body.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
Sounds like it wasn't installed correctly: should have adhesive-sealant applied between the glass and the gasket and then between the gasket and the body.
Exactly. Improper installation.

Yep, improper installation. It will leak.

I had to have a reputable shop with a owner that has been doing windscreens for 40 years do mine twice.

The key is to make sure they are using polyurethane inbetween the glass and gasket and also using polyurethane inbetween the gasket and body.

Also make sure they use adhesive on the full perimeter of the windscreen.

lumbee1

Native American
My windshield squeaked and rattled over bumps for years. My breaking point was finding puddles in the cab from the leaks. Called up insurance and had it replaced BUT I spoke with the installer several times and reminded them to use an OEM gasket AND glue the gasket to the body and the glass to the gasket. The work was done perfectly and the new glass is clean and more importantly quiet.

I too had this happen even though I told the installer to properly put glue on both sides. They insisted they did. I was there when they disassembled it and their installer lied to the owners and had not done it properly. If it's loose, they did not properly install the glass. Be there to see them remove it.

micruz60

Unleaded Regular
Print off the install instructions from the FSM and present them to the shop, ask them to initial the pages as proof that they read and followed the instructions; it's not rocket surgery!

alia176

SILVER Star
Thanks fellas, I'll peak inside both mating surfaces to see if sealant was used. Tomorrow suppose to be a tad warmer so I'll need to heat up the gasket a tad before trying to peak inside. I'm hoping the shop will do me right as I have a history with them going back a decade but if not, I do have some windshield urethane that I'll appy myself.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
In order to properly apply the sealant the windshield needs to come out. It will also require a new weatherstrip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom