Window Tint on an 79 FJ 40 Hard Top ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YoYoHo

BJZ43 for Me !
SILVER Star
Threads
I have an 79 FJ 40 that currently has no window tinting on it, she is pretty original looking and I am trying to decided if I should tint them or not.

Anyway, got any pictures of stock looking 40's with window tint ?

Main reason I am thinking about it is cause driving with clear glass makes it feel like a fish bowl :)

BradsCruiser.jpg

No limo tint. If you're baking in the sun, you can get the tint that stops UV, but isn't very dark - has a slighly gold look to it. In a utility vehicle, tint film tends to get scratched by shifting cargo/camping gear, so consider that. Unless it's your DD and you have no A/C, I'd skip it. Just my .02.

I put tint on a 40 that I no longer own. I liked it.

F190FC46-15AD-42D2-8CE4-A18C4DC571F4.jpeg

Check your local laws as well... we had for the longest time a certain percentage that you could not go over ... however fast forward to 21st century it seems there are more new cars with it than without... and some are DARK

I like the limo tint ... my buddy’s 68’ Baja bug we painted black the side windows and tinted the door windows , in the 80’s (it was dark inside there lol) needless to say we were peeling window tint and scraped the back windows after his ticket :meh:

Mild tint should be ok... I would check anyway so you can have the law on your side

It sucked getting that stuff off :)

I've been debating tinting the windows in my 40. If I do it, it'll likely be about as dark as local laws will allow. It'll keep it a little cooler inside, but the main thing is that I don't really like people being able to see what I have or don't have in the vehicle without at least having to try.

I didn't necessarily mean limo tint, that how it looked after darkening the windows. I have been tinting all my vehicles windows for 30 years. All in all, 3M stuff professionally applied is durable stuff. I do like the newer gold'ish tint (new SUV's come standard) Looks cool, not so stark as regular tint.

I wouldn’t do it too much work to remove it once you realize it wasn’t such great idea in the first place. I know put sunroof In instead .

It takes $200 to get it done in metallic life time warranty and $100 to get it off it is not for me so while it isn't free it isn't a deal breaker. Like some have mentioned I am no keen on the fish bowl feeling and also like the idea of keeping eyes out of the truck .

That being said I am not sold on the idea either way yet

I did the flat windows in the back and love it ... a bit harder to see anything I have in the back (usually run with doors) for those who might be looking for stuff to steal.
20190711_144604.jpg

Would like to find the old fashioned light green window tint of the 70's, but it doesn't seems to be around anymore

I don’t think tint is an anti theft device.
My local sheriff recommends it along with removing valuables from parked vehicles, locking doors, parking in high visibility areas, and all the normal stuff. Tint isn't going to prevent someone from breaking in, but it can make somebody else seem like a better/easier target.

Would like to find the old fashioned light green window tint of the 70's, but it doesn't seems to be around anymore

It's not exact, but it's pretty close. For full authenticity, you have to install it with bubbles and wrinkles.

20181008_123410.jpg

Here's mine with tint on all side and rear glass. IIRC it's 35% LLumar. I like it most of the time. The only time I have issues with it is when it's dark and rainy.

Part of that being in a fish bowl is the vehicle. People tend to look at FJ40's because they're few around and look great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom