Winching Backwards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was being an idiot again, and i got stuck with no one to pull me out backwards, so i tried winching backwards with pulleys. Too see if it actually works, or is it just a story people tell when their drunk.
DSCN3030.JPG

This is how i rigged up my winch rope;
DSCN3041.JPG

DSCN3031.JPG

DSCN3033.JPG

I didn't want to break anything, so i took the weight with the PTO winch and then cained it in reverse, and moved back a few hundred mm's.

I did this a few times, got a lot of tension on the winch and drove backwards. I got about a meter and the strop around the fence post snapped. I thought, well its an old strop and i had chocked it around the post, which is half as strong as if i had looped it.

So i tried again with a better strop looped around the post, i got a bit further, but the new strop snapped and this time the pulley and winch hook smashed into the back of my truck and made a huge smashing noise, And ripped my winch dampener
DSCN3036.JPG

Winching backwards defiantly works, but sh*t its hard on gear
DSCN3039.JPG

Because it has to be a pulley on the back of the truck its putting twice and much strain on every thing.

Im sure you could add a few more pulleys and reduce the strain, with a cleaver block and tackle setup. But my winch rope isnt long enught for that. I eventualy got out by winching forward, added a few more dents.

I’ve seen some videos where this works and others where it doesn’t. I think there is more advantage to be gained if the anchors/trees are further to the side of the vehicle instead of straight ahead/behind.

At some point with it directly in front and behind your winch is going to be pulling your truck apart unless something fails first, as you experienced.

As the BleepinJeep YouTube video shows it’s probably less harmful on equipment to just wrap the cable under the truck and connect it straight behind.

I think you got out, and your recovery design was sound. So I give you full marks! Well done.
Not your fault it was a crappy strap and equipment only fails when you use it. 👍
That’s also why I have a 11500 Runva on the back of my 60.

I’d be grateful if you posted up some closer pics of that rear winch set up, especially the model and size of winch.
Also how the whole bracket holding the winch is made. I’ve got a bumper fabbed up for the rear of my BJ74.
But sure looks like I could put a winch there too! Are you 12V or 24V in that truck?

Last edited:
I've seen that setup work in videos, but never in person.
It shouldn't be any harder on gear than winching forward.
Where the straps you had dynamic or static?

I’d be grateful if you posted up some closer pics of that rear winch set up, especially the model and size of winch.
Also how the whole bracket holding the winch is made. I’ve got a bumper fabbed up for the rear of my BJ74.
But sure looks like I could put a winch there too! Are you 12V or 24V in that truck?
The winch is from an 80 series, I have moved the solenoids from on top of the winch, and will mount them somewhere in the cab.

DSCN3046.JPG

DSCN3044.JPG

I didn't want it to stick out too far and knacker the departure angle. so to tuck it in close, I cut away the rear chassis cross member, and had the winch as high as i could, so i had to trim a little bit out of the doors

Shes a trailer queen, so i don't have to worry about being road legal

DSCN3045.JPG

DSCN3054.JPG

The blue cable is an air hose

Its bolted to a bit of 6mm plate which i bent to lower the winch. This isn't as strong as if i bolted it to a flat plate but i think its good enough
Its quite good having this, because you tend to land on it instead of the tank
DSCN3053.JPG

Shes 24v at the moment, but it desperately needs more power. Ive been working on a 40 series that im putting an LS1 in. I reckon ill put that engine and gearbox into this truck

Cheers

It shouldn't be any harder on gear than winching forward.
Where the straps you had dynamic or static?
I think your right, Now that ive thaught about it, it should be half the strain as regular winching because its a double line pull. or maybe because the winch is moving backwads with the truck, they equal each other out. I dunno

The strops that failed weren't stretchy, static. Maybe they were getting a bit old and tired.
Cheers

Thanks for the info. Mine is a bit nicer than that so there will be no trimming of the doors. I can
source the dimensions of that winch from my friend here and go from there.
I haven’t seen a set of revolver shackles in a long time!

Winching backwards,
A better solution. Mid mount winch

Ive mounted a Toyota PTO winch just behind the transfer case of my bush truck. The rope goes back to the rear cross member around a pulley and then out the front through a tube. So if i need to pull backwards i pull the rope out the back and around a snatch block.

DSCN3578.JPG

DSCN3581.JPG
DSCN3572.JPG

DSCN3573.JPG

So far this is all untested, but i copied it off some who knew what he was doing.

Cheers

DSCN3571.JPG

Winching backwards,
A better solution. Mid mount winch

Ive mounted a Toyota PTO winch just behind the transfer case of my bush truck. The rope goes back to the rear cross member around a pulley and then out the front through a tube. So if i need to pull backwards i pull the rope out the back and around a snatch block.

View attachment 2546246

View attachment 2546247View attachment 2546248

View attachment 2546249

So far this is all untested, but i copied it off some who knew what he was doing.

Cheers

View attachment 2546250
I've always like the idea of a midbody winch.

What line are you using, it looks, um, petite?

well, you were better prepared than I am, I don't usually go out with 3 snatch blocks. Good for you!

(then again, I don't usually go through mud like that either - yuck!)

Good video @grinchy This guy obviously knows what he’s doing and has presented this in a way that is easily understood. But does this fellow EVER smile?😊🤔

But really...a great video.

I don't know that I've needed this more than once or twice, but it makes me think that I should consider adding some rollers to be able to try this out. Maybe. Someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom