Winch selection for 80 series arb deluxe bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to buy a winch for my 80 series that has an arb deluxe bar. Just wanted to get some recommendations for winches and also heard some don’t fit without modifying the bumper. Thank you

There's an entire section of the forum devoted to this.
The 80 Series ARB bar was designed around the Warn M10K which has been replaced by the M12K. Same footprint. The only modification is drilling 2 holes for the roller fairlead if you decide to go with steel winch line.

There's an entire section of the forum devoted to this.
The 80 Series ARB bar was designed around the Warn M10K which has been replaced by the M12K. Same footprint. The only modification is drilling 2 holes for the roller fairlead if you decide to go with steel winch line.

Ok thanks for the info. Looking to go synthetic

I've been reasonably impressed with the Smittybilt XRC 10 that I have - coming from a long line of Warns I'm pleased so far..... I've used it for more for winching tree's and fenceposts then I ever did my Warns and it's been bulletproof.

E

The main fitting factor is the need to space the bigger/wider planetary winches back. The original Warn 10K fitted up tightly against the back side of the mount. When winches that are wider are installed, spacers need to go under its feet. Otherwise, when you tighten the niuts down, the ends of the winch contact the angled back BEFORE the feet do, creating the potential to crack the winch casing if you keep tightening the mounting bolts and foolishly don't note the problem.

ARB offers a spacer kit. However, you can locally procure 1/2" thick bar stock, cut it to fit inside the bumper, and drill two holes through each side for the mounting bolts to pass through. You may find 1/2" is enough or add another bar or some fat washers to gain what you need. So long as the ends of the winch don't bottom out before the mounting bolts get tight, you're good.

Here's my install of an XRC12 in the ARB:

Note that the Smittybilt fairlead doesn't bolt up cleanly to the ARB, as it was designed for the Warn fairlead, which is worth the expense for best install.

I know there are plenty of people that defend their Smittybuilt and other cheaper winches. My personal experience over the last 30 years has me to the point of really only choosing between two winch brands for my personal rigs. I stick with ComeUp or Warn. They are the two brands that I've never had issues with. I've used several other brands over the years and all have had issues at one point or another except for Warn and ComeUp. With the Warn's I'm talking about the premium line, not the VR series. So before anybody jumps down my throat and tells me they've never had an issue with winch A, B or C, there's no need. If it's working for you, great. This is just my experience.

The ComeUp Seal Gen2 9.5 and 12.5 will both fit the ARB bumper with spacers that have already been mentioned. I'm currently running the 9.5rs from ComeUp on my 80. It's in a custom bumper now but I had it in an ARB previously.

I had a 12.5k Comeup on my 100. Great winch. Never let me down during my ownership.

I think Comeup is what I’m going to end up going with when my bumper comes in. This guy is a vendor on the site and puts together a pretty stout winch & synthetic rope kit.

I think Comeup is what I’m going to end up going with when my bumper comes in. This guy is a vendor on the site and puts together a pretty stout winch & synthetic rope kit.

Kyle at TreatyOak is a good source. A Comeup with his synthetic rope would be a sweet setup.

I installed an XRC 12K. I’ve used it many times and have never had any problems.

it’s a big winch so you’ll have to use standoffs to locate it further back. With out cutting the bumper. Rugged ridge sells a pair of standoffs on amazon for $24 bucks. That’s all you need and it will fit.

I installed an XRC 12K. I’ve used it many times and have never had any problems.

SNIP

Despite the misgivings of some, I think this is a fairly common experience with the XRC12. Never had a problem with mine, but I can't say I've really tested it in my use.

I'm sure a diverse cross-section of owners use it, but I also suspect a lot of buyers are from two rather different groups. The first are lesser experienced folks who are looking for a lot of capability with minimum outlay. And they get it. The other group are more experienced offroaders who know what they need but are looking for lots of value in a winch.

The first group tends to have somewhat outsize expectations coupled with general winch inexperience. Like all planetary winches, heat build-up is an issue. It also happens fairly quickly, Then they burn it down and think that they need a Warn. They might, especially if they're prone to abusing their winches. Note I am NOT saying Warn owners as a whole are winch beaters. It's just that it takes knowing how fast these things overheat if you don't take a break and let things cool off. Warn's aren't immune to this, just a lot better at resisting foolishness.

If you don't plan on a lot of heavy winching and are aware of what the duty cycle requires for cooling off, then an XRC12 is a good bargain that you'll likely have little trouble with. Give it a break, use the snatch block when needed, and you're good.

Which doesn't mean you can't improve on what the factory sent you. The most obvious is to hook it up with some nice fat feeder cables to replace the toy ones Smittybilt sends with it. I wrote up what I did to feed my winch here:
Getting Best Electrical Cables

Less obvious is dealing with the crappy water-attracting grease that the factory that builds these things uses. This is a very common issue with all the T-Maxx clone winches. I've got no idea what Warn currently uses. However, if you let a winch sit out in the weather for a long time, like many do because their truck doesn't enjoy a nice, cozy garage and that grease soaks up and holds that water it creates a rusty mess inside. I ended up using a fairly common grease that Caterpillar sells and is used on track components among other things that need to stand up to grimy mud. I wrote up what I did here:
Waterproofing a Winch

Address these all too common issues and use your winch wisely and an XRC 12 is more than reliable enough winch for most users.

Despite the misgivings of some, I think this is a fairly common experience with the XRC12. Never had a problem with mine, but I can't say I've really tested it in my use.

I'm sure a diverse cross-section of owners use it, but I also suspect a lot of buyers are from two rather different groups. The first are lesser experienced folks who are looking for a lot of capability with minimum outlay. And they get it. The other group are more experienced offroaders who know what they need but are looking for lots of value in a winch.

The first group tends to have somewhat outsize expectations coupled with general winch inexperience. Like all planetary winches, heat build-up is an issue. It also happens fairly quickly, Then they burn it down and think that they need a Warn. They might, especially if they're prone to abusing their winches. Note I am NOT saying Warn owners as a whole are winch beaters. It's just that it takes knowing how fast these things overheat if you don't take a break and let things cool off. Warn's aren't immune to this, just a lot better at resisting foolishness.

If you don't plan on a lot of heavy winching and are aware of what the duty cycle requires for cooling off, then an XRC12 is a good bargain that you'll likely have little trouble with. Give it a break, use the snatch block when needed, and you're good.

Which doesn't mean you can't improve on what the factory sent you. The most obvious is to hook it up with some nice fat feeder cables to replace the toy ones Smittybilt sends with it. I wrote up what I did to feed my winch here:
Getting Best Electrical Cables

Less obvious is dealing with the crappy water-attracting grease that the factory that builds these things uses. This is a very common issue with all the T-Maxx clone winches. I've got no idea what Warn currently uses. However, if you let a winch sit out in the weather for a long time, like many do because their truck doesn't enjoy a nice, cozy garage and that grease soaks up and holds that water it creates a rusty mess inside. I ended up using a fairly common grease that Caterpillar sells and is used on track components among other things that need to stand up to grimy mud. I wrote up what I did here:
Waterproofing a Winch

Address these all too common issues and use your winch wisely and an XRC 12 is more than reliable enough winch for most users.
some good points shared here. I agree that heat and water are the things that will kill winches and the less expensive ones tend to be more susceptible to both either because of lower quality materials or because of design and quality control. Water intrusion, like was mentioned, can definitely cause issues for gears etc if it finds its way inside. Greentruck makes a good point that many don't realize just sitting out in the weather can cause issues for some winches. Moisture can also reek havoc on electricals. Making sure the contactor box is sealed well can do a lot to keep key electrics from corrosion. The issue with some less expensive winches (even if they advertise a good waterproof rating) is that the winch body itself might be sealed fairly well but the electrical connections are not. When the electricals fail, your winch fails and can leave you stranded.

The issues of heat and waterproofing are two of the reasons I've been using Comeup for the last several years. I had a Warn 8274 for many years and used it a pretty heavily. It is still one of the best out there IMO. But the contactor box even on the legendary 8274 needed better waterproofing. Comeup has very good waterproofing. Many have seen their demo from SEMA where they had a running winch submerged in a tank of water for the entire SEMA show. But they also protect the electricals as well as any winch I've come across. If you pay attention to most Arctic Trucks, most run ComeUp winches. There are some with Warns as well, but the majority run ComeUp winches. They are using winches more than most and in conditions with lots of moisture. I think it says a lot that they rely on ComeUp as much as they do.

ComeUp is better in dealing with heat as well. Most winches have the braking system inside the drum of the winch. Winch brakes all get hot. Having the brake inside the drum can transfer heat not only to internals but can also damage synthetic rope. ComeUp moved their brake outside of the drum so there is less heat transfer to internals and to the winch rope. It's a cone brake design that applies more braking force as the load on the line increases.

Anyway. That's a couple things that turned me toward Comeup and I've been really happy with how my Comeup winches have worked. Sorry if this response sounds like an advertisement. It wasn't meant to but I wanted to explain what it was versus just saying ComeUp is good at dissipating heat and waterproofing.

SNIP

The issues of heat and waterproofing are two of the reasons I've been using Comeup for the last several years. I had a Warn 8274 for many years and used it a pretty heavily.
SNIP
Sorry if this response sounds like an advertisement. It wasn't meant to but I wanted to explain what it was versus just saying ComeUp is good at dissipating heat and waterproofing.

Adam,
Excellent review of the issues! I don't see it as bragging at all. People should not obsess about their brand of winch so much as understand it and its limitations. If you do that and use the winch within those limitations, then the results are usually satisfying. Ignore them and the pain in your wallet will burn...:devil::bang:

I also am a former 8274 user and you speak the truth about even that legendary winch. Almost unstoppable in a pull, providing the controller isn't crummied up. That capability, especially its ability to handle long sustained pulls, should not be assumed to be shared by most other winches. Each is different, but almost always is more limited than what the 8274 could handle in terms of use and, to be frank, abuse. It was pretty forgiving. Most planetary winches are not. Know your winch before you really need it and you're ahead of the game and will likely enjoy its use for years to come.

Hey folks, what is your experience with Mile Marker winches? I was quite impressed by the advertisement, as it states that the US Military uses those winches. But a bummer is the 3 year guarantee compared to lifelong WARN guarantee.

Cheers!

A Warn Zeon 12k is tight, winch cradle was required but works great.
383C62C4-E193-4AC4-A9A9-9A9E8CB32A6A.jpeg

4011820F-B53D-46A2-852C-1E376378BAA7.jpeg

A Warn Zeon 12k is tight, winch cradle was required but works great.

If it’s the same size as a Zeon 10k then a winch cradle isn’t required. You just need to space the winch an inch and get the Warn relocation kit (short) then fabricate brackets to mount the solenoid box.

CEB5FBB7-96DB-45AC-A843-C029CA2037C0.jpeg

Same thing with the Tabor/VR 10
A006C57A-5A4B-468A-A4B2-489406120F12.jpeg

If it’s the same size as a Zeon 10k then a winch cradle isn’t required. You just need to space the winch an inch and get the Warn relocation kit (short) then fabricate brackets to mount the solenoid box.
Same thing with the Tabor/VR 10
Not sure if there’s a size difference but the kits ARB supplied didn’t work, cradle gave added advantage of bash guard so worked well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom