Will the 80 be a classic? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Prices be getting even crazier!

This is all fine, and good having prices rise, until you stop to think about all the country's that are planing to do away with the internal combustion engine in the very near future. Don't forget that the state of California has already put into law that they will not allow any new gasoline powered cars, or trucks to be sold in the state by 2035.

I just read last night that the country of Japan has plans in place to stop all production of cars, and trucks with internal combustion engines by the mid 2030's, and only make electric vehicles after that.

Once the switch happens you can be assured that many other country's and states will follow suit, and after infrastructure for electric cars becomes more common place (you know, kind of like what we have now, a gas station on every corner) the days of gasoline powered cars are limited.

Now i know some of you my say that will never happen. I'm sure the guys who use to make horse and buggy whips for a living use to say the same thing when gasoline powered cars first came out, we all know how that ended.

As for me, in a few years i planned to give my Land Cruiser to my grand daughter. But after reading the above story, and seeing what the future holds for gasoline powered cars. It just might be a better idea to sell while the markets hot, and not end up holding a gasoline powered buggy whip, so to speak. YMMV

Hi, When I was a child ,a long time ago, people drove antiques then. Not because they were modern or got good gas mileage but because they were fun to drive and uncommon. I remember the Shelby Mustang ,it was never practical .If we floored it you could watch the fuel gauge going down! At 30 cents a gallon it was a gas hog but boy was it fun. I was lucky enough to drive Dodge Vipers for a few years. Practical .. no tires cost 500 a piece years ago . The clutch was pretty hard to push down. Gas mileage not so good and the first ones had no a.c.! But 127 miles an hour in 3rd gear and the Viper was not even working hard. What a fun car! The cruiser is an uncommon truck but extremely reliable and good at what it was ment to do. Navigate the worst roads in the world in extreme cold and heat. Survive where almost all other vehicles fail. Our fj80 gets looks and praises all over Texas and Arkansas. Adults and kids like it.I think the cruiser can and will hold its own for people who want the different ,the uncommon and the best. Mike

If they take away my gasoline before I die, I'll buy an older truck and finally build a wood-burner. I've always wanted to do that anyway.

Someone, somewhere will start making electric motor engine swap kits at some point in time. Probably a drop in that mates to the existing transmission. Batteries will get lighter and easier to mold to fit anywhere you have space available. Not here yet (well, moldable batteries are here), but it'll come.

Someone, somewhere will start making electric motor engine swap kits at some point in time. Probably a drop in that mates to the existing transmission. Batteries will get lighter and easier to mold to fit anywhere you have space available. Not here yet (well, moldable batteries are here), but it'll come.

This would be the most likely scenario, or somewhere down the line biodiesel will have to be accepted.

California. Don’t get me started. Ooh big fires. Because Global warming. We need electrical cars that are fed by power wires.... because the power line started wildfires are the OK ones.

I think electric cars are cool, and will be a great choice one day, but California doesn’t have the wind or nowhere near enough hydroelectric (we’re removing dams not building them) to support the infrastructure.

California. Don’t get me started. Ooh big fires. Because Global warming. We need electrical cars that are fed by power wires.... because the power line started wildfires are the OK ones.

That reminds me -- tried to buy light bulbs lately? Starting in January California's Title 20 made it illegal to sell bulbs that A) don't meet a certain lumens/watt rating (which pretty much any CFL or LED will meet, this part is not a huge deal) and B) has to meet a threshold in this flawed "color rendering index" or CRI, which only has to do with the light creating an "accurate representation of colors" subject to a flawed calculation that has had much criticism levied against it.

The end result is most LED light bulbs you'd buy online are illegal in California (feels like I'm trying to buy a firearm). Of the ones that are available from the usual suspects like Philips, the Title 20 compliant ones cost 10-60% more (my observation) and produce fewer lumens per watt (a tradeoff to meet that CRI requirement), so they're arguably less efficient.

Good times, was astonished that in a state where weed is legal and you can buy hard liquor at the grocery store at 6AM on a Sunday, most LED light bulbs are not legal at all.

PS, I forgot to look but I'm sure most of the title 20 compliant bulbs also cause cancer according to the state of California, as per the Prop 65 warning that was undoubtedly in the fine print.

It's on Land Cruisers in general, mostly 60 series and later, but the 80 is pointed out as having especially strong collector interest.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="Here's Why Toyota Land Cruisers Are So Popular On Cars & Bids! - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think electric cars are cool, and will be a great choice one day, but California doesn’t have the wind or nowhere near enough hydroelectric (we’re removing dams not building them) to support the infrastructure.

That doesn't make much sense. California has some of the most advanced power grids in the world simply because there are so many wildfires. There's been a huge push and a ton of improvement in putting lines underground to prevent fires. Article

And there are solar farms being installed like crazy everywhere. With the cost of solar decreasing every day, I could see 80% of homes with solar panels in the next twenty years. What's an alternative? Solar Stats

That reminds me -- tried to buy light bulbs lately? Starting in January California's Title 20 made it illegal to sell bulbs that A) don't meet a certain lumens/watt rating (which pretty much any CFL or LED will meet, this part is not a huge deal) and B) has to meet a threshold in this flawed "color rendering index" or CRI, which only has to do with the light creating an "accurate representation of colors" subject to a flawed calculation that has had much criticism levied against it.

The end result is most LED light bulbs you'd buy online are illegal in California (feels like I'm trying to buy a firearm). Of the ones that are available from the usual suspects like Philips, the Title 20 compliant ones cost 10-60% more (my observation) and produce fewer lumens per watt (a tradeoff to meet that CRI requirement), so they're arguably less efficient.

Good times, was astonished that in a state where weed is legal and you can buy hard liquor at the grocery store at 6AM on a Sunday, most LED light bulbs are not legal at all.

PS, I forgot to look but I'm sure most of the title 20 compliant bulbs also cause cancer according to the state of California, as per the Prop 65 warning that was undoubtedly in the fine print.

Looks like a bid for less energy consumption. And it looks like they produce fewer lumens per watt as to consume less energy per watt. I'd be willing to bet my Land Cruiser bulbs that don't meet title 20 guidelines ALSO have a Prop 65 warning. And every fast food restaurant in the state has Prop 65 warnings. Nobody seems to mind that much.

I don't mean to be THAT GUY, but it's awfully tiring to read California bashing all over the internet. Clearly, plenty of people like living there for various reasons. I think there's far too much of a one-sided voice that CA is bad, when 40 million people obviously feel otherwise.

Gentlemen, the future is already here:

I've been DD'ing electric cars (chevy and tesla) since 2015 and I can say without a doubt it would kick ass as a 4x4. When the batteries are good enough and the charging infrastructure in place like gas stations, I'm making the conversion without hesitation.

That doesn't make much sense. California has some of the most advanced power grids in the world simply because there are so many wildfires. There's been a huge push and a ton of improvement in putting lines underground to prevent fires. Article

And there are solar farms being installed like crazy everywhere. With the cost of solar decreasing every day, I could see 80% of homes with solar panels in the next twenty years. What's an alternative? Solar Stats

Looks like a bid for less energy consumption. And it looks like they produce fewer lumens per watt as to consume less energy per watt. I'd be willing to bet my Land Cruiser bulbs that don't meet title 20 guidelines ALSO have a Prop 65 warning. And every fast food restaurant in the state has Prop 65 warnings. Nobody seems to mind that much.

I don't mean to be THAT GUY, but it's awfully tiring to read California bashing all over the internet. Clearly, plenty of people like living there for various reasons. I think there's far too much of a one-sided voice that CA is bad, when 40 million people obviously feel otherwise.

I live in fly over California, so I get a front row seat.

The power grid is good in cities, but powerlines can’t be buried under mountains. California’s massive electrical consumption is from geographically isolated areas that are not self sustaining on their own.

Solar farms are great, but where are you going to put them? They won’t build them on top of San Francisco or Los Angeles’s existing structures.

Light bulbs, shower heads, toilets.....

I’d convert the old cruiser to an electrical vehicle if it was feasible. I would need to plumb some nice Sherman Tank exhaust sounds to the outside.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, the future is already here:

I've been DD'ing electric cars (chevy and tesla) since 2015 and I can say without a doubt it would kick ass as a 4x4. When the batteries are good enough and the charging infrastructure in place like gas stations, I'm making the conversion without hesitation.

Tesla’s are quick, quick cars. I’m not sure how I feel about the autopilot thing. This is coming from someone who never uses cruise control, so take that with a grain of salt.

For a true expedition vehicle, electric is not an option. For any off road vehicle, it is limited. Low range and low speed will eat the storage capability and then, which tree, rock or cactus has the charging port? Oh wait, that is the second issue here, they don't want us driving out in the sticks and enjoying what our planet provides us.

Im of a similar opinion that these cars won't be classics like cars of the past.
Electric vehicles and autopilot is going to kill these things, a lot quicker than I think most people realise.
Once autopilot starts becoming accepted and more normalised (I personally think in the next 10 years) car crashes will start coming down and insurance companies will start increasing premiums for people who don't have auto driving cars.

People driving big old manual driving cars will be looked at as being dangerous and the younger generation will probably never learn to even drive, just like we're not taught to ride horses. When most cars are electric driving automatically in sequence, connected to each other, the traffic lights and the road authorities, a big old slow landcruiser in the middle is gonna stuff everything up and slow everything down.

I can see electric motors being able to be retrofitted but im not sure about autopilot.
I can imagine these cars being able to get a special permit and towed to parks then you could drive them in the bush.

No electricity in the bush i think is going to be a non argument. Battery technology is increasing so quickly there will be ways around it. Whether it be charging stations at common entry points to the bush, carrying extra batteries like we do jerry cans, solar blankets for when your camped.

I love my Landcruisers, im still driving around in my 40 series but I can't see a future where ill be able to do it forever.
Ill be like an old horse buggy driver/blacksmith/coal miner, hanging on for dear life but it just won't fit with the future we are heading towards, regardless how much i want it to. Times change.

For a true expedition vehicle, electric is not an option. For any off road vehicle, it is limited. Low range and low speed will eat the storage capability and then, which tree, rock or cactus has the charging port? Oh wait, that is the second issue here, they don't want us driving out in the sticks and enjoying what our planet provides us.
I have been wheeling for decades and for my usage, a stock 250ish mile range is enough to get me to the trail and back to the nearest gas station. I do not do really do "expedition" style wheeling where I won't see a gas station in over 300 miles. I do not carry a jerry can and never really came too close to needing one. Many electric vehicles actually have a better range at low speed than they do on the highway and use next to nothing "idling"

For some folks, that will be a limiting factor for sure, but for me, as soon as I get to 250+ range and the charging infrastructure is up to snuff, I'll be good. The drivetrain itself is really well suited for trail duty, or towing for that matter. The vehicle technology is pretty much there. The infrastructure part is probably another 15-20 years out.

Tesla’s are quick, quick cars. I’m not sure how I feel about the autopilot thing. This is coming from someone who never uses cruise control, so take that with a grain of salt.
I actually had them do a software downgrade on mine to remove the "drunk driver assist." Autopilot is weird and I'm not to that level of trust yet :eek:

Im of a similar opinion that these cars won't be classics like cars of the past.
Electric vehicles and autopilot is going to kill these things, a lot quicker than I think most people realise.
Once autopilot starts becoming accepted and more normalised (I personally think in the next 10 years) car crashes will start coming down and insurance companies will start increasing premiums for people who don't have auto driving cars.

People driving big old manual driving cars will be looked at as being dangerous and the younger generation will probably never learn to even drive, just like we're not taught to ride horses. When most cars are electric driving automatically in sequence, connected to each other, the traffic lights and the road authorities, a big old slow landcruiser in the middle is gonna stuff everything up and slow everything down.

I can see electric motors being able to be retrofitted but im not sure about autopilot.
I can imagine these cars being able to get a special permit and towed to parks then you could drive them in the bush.

No electricity in the bush i think is going to be a non argument. Battery technology is increasing so quickly there will be ways around it. Whether it be charging stations at common entry points to the bush, carrying extra batteries like we do jerry cans, solar blankets for when your camped.

I love my Landcruisers, im still driving around in my 40 series but I can't see a future where ill be able to do it forever.
Ill be like an old horse buggy driver/blacksmith/coal miner, hanging on for dear life but it just won't fit with the future we are heading towards, regardless how much i want it to. Times change.

As long as Detroit & Friends keeps debuting more Halo 4x4s, the 80’s series value will grow. The engine and amenities are outdated, but that undercarriage is what these companies wish they could do.

We have a new 392 Hemi Jeep, Dodge Whatchamacallit, Power Wagon, Raptor, Chevy Trail Something, G-Wagon, Defender, and a sold out Ford Bronco that keep priming that demand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom