Will a TYC 1918 radiator fit a 94? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im looking to replace the aftermarket radiator in my 94 LC. I want like to get a TYC 1918 like this https://www.amazon.com/TYC-1918-Aluminum-Replacement-Radiator/dp/B0020M8T4K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31xAEVx-s-L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=A4WY8BC6W2DZHHGBTPYA&tag=ihco-20 , but the fitment guide indicates that it will not fit the 94. only the 95-97 models are listed as correct fitment. Ive read many archived threads and no one seems to mention that the 1918 wont fit the 94.
Does the 94 require you to exchange some parts over form the old radiator or will it just not work?

Thanks!

You do NOT want a TYC radiator. If you luck out & get the Koyo then :clap:.

You do NOT want a TYC radiator. If you luck out & get the Koyo then :clap:.

Yes, it will fit. in the experience of myself and a few others here who run them, get a 0.9 Sankei cap from Napa to accommodate the extra depth these seem to have at the neck and make sure to adjust your transmission cooler barbs before installing or the line on the driver side might rub against the shroud.

the TYC's are fine. Its not a Koyo and yes I was disappointed when the advertised Koyo 1918 turned out to be a TYC 1918. But its a better (core is noticeably thicker) radiator than the spectra rock auto one the PO had installed, and it cools very well. My rebuilt 1fz-fe only gets to 190 degrees on long mountain climbs.

Yes it will fit a 94, I have one in my 93. I have no info on the transmission barbs as I just bypassed mine.

Yes, it will fit. in the experience of myself and a few others here who run them, get a 0.9 Sankei cap from Napa to accommodate the extra depth these seem to have at the neck and make sure to adjust your transmission cooler barbs before installing or the line on the driver side might rub against the shroud.
When I thought I was going to get lucky & get a Koyo from ordering the TYC (wrote a thread about it), the TYC I received was blatant crap. Every single aspect of it was crap. Then when I tried to get lucky again (and actually did get a Koyo for ~$150) it was night & day different. If y'all think your TYC's are nice, are you sure y'all didn't actually get Koyo's? Koyo does make some radiators for TYC & it's a possibility you received one (again, long thread about it).

When I thought I was going to get lucky & get a Koyo from ordering the TYC (wrote a thread about it), the TYC I received was blatant crap. Every single aspect of it was crap. Then when I tried to get lucky again (and actually did get a Koyo for ~$150) it was night & day different. If y'all think your TYC's are nice, are you sure y'all didn't actually get Koyo's? Koyo does make some radiators for TYC & it's a possibility you received one (again, long thread about it).

If it came in a TYC box and has a TYC sticker on it, looks different than my buddy's Koyo, how do I tell?

Just curious, but it was crap in every single aspect, how so?

mine said TYC all over it and I was very very upset about it... But as I said it is far superior to the radiator the PO put in (some rock auto crap).

Its working well for me and is cooling like a charm. The long term has yet to be seen but so far so good. Updates will be in my build thread.

I just replaced my radiator with a Koyorad TYC. Looks to be thicker than the one I pulled out.

Seems like my cheap cap on my new TYC 1918 is pushing past the top seal but not consistently. Was this the problem you had?

Yes. We actually went and miced several caps and radiators (all TYCs) before finding one that would seal on both the upper and lower seals of the rad. The ones we found are from a place local to us; Performance Radiator in Phoenix. I believe you can order from their website online

Last edited:
yes, the TYC will fit - we run it on our '93 80

and yes, you want the TYC over a Koyo - which is what we had before, but the Koyo just couldn't take the Arizona heat - the TYC is thicker and provides more cooling, to the tune of approximately 10 degrees lower (Fahrenheit, not the real stuff) - plus, the price is just too good to pass up :hillbilly:

but you will need to find the right radiator cap for the TYC, since OEM and some others do not seal properly under certain conditions (like upwards of 10,000 feet or so - BTDT :rolleyes:)

final compelling argument: Tools R Us was a big fan of the TYC (RIP Kevin :frown:)

What cap did you run?
Unfortunately they don't seem to be available on their website. I'd call them. It's a Performance Radiator-branded cap, part #PRC33. The stack is just a bit taller on them then most other caps, so they seal the tank better than OEM or Stant (yuck).

The TYC neck is slightly deeper than a Koyo or OEM radiator- only detectable with a caliper. NAPA also had a cap that was taller than typical but I don't remember the brand.

Here's some pics of the box, cap top, and bottom next to a Motorad cap. They look similar, but not exactly the same.
IMG_20200122_225200.jpg
IMG_20200122_225246.jpg

IMG_20200122_225411.jpg

What cap did you run?

we got one from Autozone in Cody, WY - (after we discovered the boiling radiator at 11,000 ft and then nursed the truck to Cody for the next 1.5 hours or so . . . ) - actually we took two different models of cap, only the one with the red lever was tight

sorry, I know it doesn't answer your question, but there's no mark on the cap

I appreciate the info!

we got one from Autozone in Cody, WY - (after we discovered the boiling radiator at 11,000 ft and then nursed the truck to Cody for the next 1.5 hours or so . . . ) - actually we took two different models of cap, only the one with the red lever was tight

sorry, I know it doesn't answer your question, but there's no mark on the cap

So I measured neck depth on my TYC, old radiator, and the unknown brand on my 3rd gen t4r (the neck/cap on the 3rd gen is same as 80)

I also measured the motorad cap.
Motorrad cap was coming in around .650
The stant was definitely taller
9345ABCE-046E-48E9-AA03-223CB40D2E49.jpeg

465A7B90-22AD-4BF5-8FBC-11B4E8F08A0A.jpeg

So I measured neck depth on my TYC, old radiator, and the unknown brand on my 3rd gen t4r (the neck/cap on the 3rd gen is same as 80)

I also measured the motorad cap.
Motorrad cap was coming in around .650
The stant was definitely taller View attachment 2191252
View attachment 2191253

Are you measuring in only one spot or different spots and plotting an average? We saw discrepancies of a few thousandths on a couple caps, which could also be a cause for concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom