Why would a PO do this? And should I fix it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1976 FJ40 with about a 4 inch lift (guessing, not sure how you tell). PO added this modification to the rear shock mounts at the top of the shock. Why would you do this? Should I attempt to cut it off and salvage the post and run a die over the threads? Do they make a shock that could accomodate the way it is now without trying to change it? Current Rancho shocks look like they have been on there for 20 years. Any and all advice appreciated.
IMG_1527.JPG

People do crazy s***. By all means, get new shocks and mount them correctly. You might be able to clean up that stud sufficiently.

If you can't clean-up the threads you may have to cut out the existing shock mount and weld in a new one. The threads are 12mm X 1.25.
Here is a sketch of the shock mount stud dimensions.

upper rear shock mount.jpg

you can also just use a long 5/8" bolt, drill a hole and weld it to the tube. You want a long bolt that will give you an unthreaded area to mount the shock to. did this years ago when I flipped my rear springs and mounted my shocks to the back of the tube.

Eric

If you can't clean-up the threads you may have to cut out the existing shock mount and weld in a new one. The threads are 12mm X 1.25.
Here is a sketch of the shock mount stud dimensions.

View attachment 1726364

Very nice drawing. You must be an engineer! Very helpful! I am guessing you had to do this before. Were you able to purchase the shock mount pins or did you have them made? (Or are you fortunate enough to have a lathe!) Hopefully I can salvage whats there.

Very nice drawing. You must be an engineer! Very helpful! I am guessing you had to do this before. Were you able to purchase the shock mount pins or did you have them made? (Or are you fortunate enough to have a lathe!) Hopefully I can salvage whats there.

Not an Engineer.....just an old board draftsman. I'm in the process of doing one of my rear shock mounts now. I have a 1946 Atlas lathe that I've turned some Imperial threads on but never a metric thread. I'm reading-up on how to do it......
I also located some 12mm gr8 bolts at a hardware store in Tulsa in case I fail.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom