Why 100-series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

100 series is way better looking IMHO. Also more cargo space.

In general it’s a better value to me bc I don’t mind beating on it a bit and it getting trashed on hunting/road trips. I’m way too up tight about my cars to beat up an expensive beast like a 200.

I would love to get a 200, but for the price it’s not happening. I love my 100 and probably won’t get rid of it. I feel confident that I can work on it and since it’s not $60k+ I don’t feel bad about making a mistake here and there.
It really feels like a huge upgrade from the 92’ 80 that I used to drive 10 years ago.

I will say the wife doesn’t love it though. She prefers driving her VW Atlas which handles more like a car really. We don’t do enough off pavement yet so maybe that will change.

I've told this story before, but we bought a 100 series in 2016 when we moved to Colorado. We brought a 1989 FJ 62 and a 2005 Nissan Frontier 4x4 with us. Both great trucks, but at that point we had a 6 month old and the car seat didn't fit well in the Nissan and FJ62 wasn't a suitable daily for our needs. Coupled with the fact that 100s in the Hills (RIP) was now in our backyard, we picked up the 100 series. I bought my 100 off the forums from @torfab who had found one, fixed up for himself, and was moving it to do something different. It's been a great truck and it's an absolute looker. With HIH now done, I've been thinking more and more about moving on from the 100 - it's been a great truck, but it seems like OEM parts are starting to get harder to find / discontinued and I worry about long term support at this point. When/If it's time to move on, I'll be looking for a 200 (probably can't afford) or a GX460.

Let me chime in here: I have 99 LX with 310k. Bought it in 2010 and it’s been my DD since. I’ve done a ton of work and PM to keep it riding/driving like new. I just recently bought a 2021 Ram Power Wagon. The new tuck has all the tech and is everything I’ve wanted in a vehicle. That being said, I’m having a hell of a time parting ways with my 100. So much so, that I’m contemplating selling the new truck. That has to say something about these vehicles.

YMMV

If I had the cash or means to finance a 200 I would for the ease of car seat installation and more power/bigger.
But here I am. 100 has been down for a few months but every time I get it in I momentarily forget about all it needs because it rides and drives like nothing else i've driven. Buy what you can afford and accommodate however necessary.

Dollar per dollar the move from 100 to 200 as of today's market is absolutely not worth the upgrade IMO.

Having said that... that isn't the reason why I don't get a 200. It's because the 100 just has so much more character to me and still is very serviceable from a tech standpoint, its nimble, it doesn't feel heavy and has just enough power, since I don't tow much. I also fear the slow discontinuation of parts, but we have a lot of vendors looking after the 100 series, creating replacement parts as things start to fail. This is the backbone of the forum, you could say that about the 40 as well, parts seize to exist but there will always be someone willing to source or create replacements for vehicles like this.

Only thing better about the 200 is the front suspension design.
C'mon that 5.7l gas guzzler is not too bad. Also KDDS is not bad either. A little complicated but I think it works as keeping the suv planted when necessary and not when necessary.

Get a 200 is you can afford it. Otherwise 100 is just fine :)
Their outside dimensions are nearly identical:
100 193″ L x 76″ W x 73″ H
200 195″ L x 78″ W x 74″ H

is the NLA of parts really starting to be an issue with the 100 series? Luckily i haven't had to replace much since getting mine last year, but that worries me. My 22 year old 100 feels better than most modern cars to me

My 100 series was a great vehicle for me. I went to the 200 series as it was a better tow vehicle for my camper. The 200 is overall nicer more comfortable, more power with neat add on's like the Cool box

I also wanted the 200 series after seeing Kurt Williams race Monica for several years and it never let him down.

My daughter Sarah still has her 100 series going on 10 years now and it still works great.

If you ever forsee towing something heavy, then go with the 200. If you can afford the 200, then go with that.

If not, then the 100 series is a great vehicle

To me, the 200 series is the best Land Cruiser I have owned

My 100 series
Maze 043.JPG

My 200 Series
Gamiviti.JPG

is the NLA of parts really starting to be an issue with the 100 series? Luckily i haven't had to replace much since getting mine last year, but that worries me. My 22 year old 100 feels better than most modern cars to me

Yes, some. Several parts are now only available remanufactured. Trim is becoming scarce (shift bezel, window trim etc). Its definitely happening.

Yes, some. Several parts are now only available remanufactured. Trim is becoming scarce (shift bezel, window trim etc). Its definitely happening.

Hopefully 3D printing can help with some of these scarcities

The 100 has more soul to me. My 80 had even more soul, but the 100 drives so much better on the highway and is a lot more comfortable. I have lots of friends with 200s. I like to tell them to take care of it for me since I’ll probably buy it from them when they get tired of it. I like older stuff in general - when it is of a certain quality. Don’t need new and shiny. YMMV.

Get a 200 is you can afford it. Otherwise 100 is just fine :)
Their outside dimensions are nearly identical:
100 193″ L x 76″ W x 73″ H
200 195″ L x 78″ W x 74″ H
Sure, total external dimensions it's "only and inch or two" but it's just beefier in general. Was just looking at some 200s parked next to my LX yesterday and noticed for instance the hood is a good 3 inches taller and the beltline as well. The front of the headlights and grill come almost out as far as the bumper where on the 100 the bumper is much further out.

And it's approaching 800lbs heavier stock for stock which just means the 200 is going to need bigger tires and everything else further expanding the weight difference.

C'mon that 5.7l gas guzzler is not too bad. Also KDDS is not bad either. A little complicated but I think it works as keeping the suv planted when necessary and not when necessary.
KDSS is totally unnecessary, IMO. Yeah I'd take a 5.7 if it was in my 100 from the factory but I'm loaded up with a heavy truck and never care for more power. Better gas mileage on the other hand... But the 5.7 / 200 wouldn't get me that.

I don't own a 200 because I don't want one. Glad for those that love them, it's a Cruiser after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom