Who has their CB antenna mounted on the bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this in the 80 section to allow for more 80 specific tech. YES I know I should buy a HAM:deadhorse:.
Yes I know the bumper isn't an ideal location, but for my plans I think it will be the most convenient location. So I know a few of you are set up this way... any issues? Oh and I'll be running a 3' firestick. As always thanks for the help.
Cheers,
Scot

Factory bumper or ARB cowcatcher?

For now I have a 3 or 4 ft antenna mounted to an existing upper light tab on an ARB bumper.

Antenna tip barely higher than the roof line on an FJ60. Works OK in a convoy. Probably not so good for distance.

Going to put a 102" whip on it. That will clear the roof.

I run a Wilson Flex 4 on the ARB front bumpers of my HDJ81 and BJ74, works just fine.

I have a cuisinoffroad bumper (similar to ARB). Have no intention of long range communication. It is for trail use with folks in my group. Thanks for the feedback.

IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
On a 102" whip, most of the radiation comes off the upper portion of the antenna so it should clear the roof without adversely effecting performance if mounted on front bumper, but have a way to tie it back when in brush so it won't dent your rig. Just make sure you trim the bottom for as close to a 1:1 match with xmtr. If mounted on front bumper, most radiation pattern will be concentrated towards the rear of the vehicle because that's where your ground plane will be, the other half of the antenna, the metal body of your cruiser. So a stock cb radio makes 4 watts and can be turned up to 10-14 watts, your effective communication range to the back would be Worst case scenario, a little more than a mile in rugged terrain, it could be about half that towards the front. Front mount is good for leader of the pack and others behind should run rear mount. I run a rear bumper corner mount but for low band HF work so I'm not really concerned about direction but theoretically focus would be towards the front right corner of my cruiser.

Europeans usually mount their antennas to the from bumper or the hood of the engine for their 11m FM CB radios
I see a lot Australians do the same thing, but their CB radios are different than ours, more like HAM radio.

Whip it, whip it real good.

Ya, it will work, but not ideal. Just be sure to at least test with SW meter.

Thanks everyone. Plenty of food for thought. I didn't realize the Aussie radios were different. That has me contemplating a rear hatch mount as they seem to be the ones I see doing the bumper mount.

CB radio band (11m) is a lot like a female. Needs a lot of TLC. Does not like to play well without a ground plane.
Ham radio is a lot more forgiving. It does like a ground plane too, but not as bad as CB band. Depending on the wave length antenna, HAM radio can do well without a good ground plane.

107223-b392a73cff06f9689b841f28d4a47ea6.jpg
Antenna9pattern.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom