FZJ80 Power Antenna not getting power at all (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, so I've been working out the kinks on my recently purchased 80 series and the power antenna is the last thing that isn't working. I'm able to get it to extend and retract using alligator clips directly to the battery but nothing from the inside gets it going. When I first started troubleshooting it I noticed that antenna had been disconnected for who knows how long. The connectors were corroded but I cleaned them up with BW100. They're still not great but should be enough to make a contact. After cleaning them up I reconnected them. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. Looking at other forum posts I thought it is most likely the relay behind the passenger kick panel. Found a cheapie on eBay and gave it a try. Same result. Fuses are good and everything else looks to be connected properly. Could the switch be bad? Would a bad switch prevent everything from functioning properly? Is there anything else I should check troubleshooting further? I've yet to take the dash apart and start messing with a multimeter but it is on the list. I just have a huge list of things I want to tackle when I take the dash apart and don't want to do it more than once. So as it stands...

Antenna itself = Good
Relay = Most likely good. The one I purchased was known working so likely my old one is good too
Fuses = Both Good
Switch = ??

Anyone have any ideas? Sorry if this is just yet another antenna post but none of the others I've seen are quite like mine.

Thanks!

Is the switch actually plugged in to the harness?
Check continuity from the switch plug to the antenna plug.

Is the switch actually plugged in to the harness?
Check continuity from the switch plug to the antenna plug.

Yeah, it's connected. I was able to see it when I removed the "useless" cubby. Once I get the dash apart I'll perform a continuity test but I'm hoping to exhaust every other option before doing so. It is my daily at the moment so my dash can't be apart for too long. That being said, the next few days are mellow for me so I might take a crack at it starting tomorrow.

So the dash where the climate control is was super easy to take off. 4 screws and pop! Anyway, I tested the switch and it appears to be working. It also appears to be getting power. I was able to test the continuity of the switch and both buttons seem to work. There is also connectivity from the switch plug to the 2 prongs under the hood. I dunno. This is weird. I should be able to hear the relay when the buttons are pushed, right?

I swapped the climate control lights with LED's while I was in there.

Did you ever get this figured out. Mine worked before installing the factory amp bypass harness.
Here’s what I’ve done:
1. Checked headunit is putting out 12v on Antenna Remote.
2. Checked continuity of dash switch
3. Checked continuity of up/down harness at antenna side
4. Replaced ECU

Any help appreciated.

Ok. So I tested the antenna and it operates as it should off battery power.

Only thing I’m thinking it could be is a mismatch on the amp-by pass harness? It worked before I bypassed. Anyone else have this issue when bypassing stock amp?

Ok. So I tested the antenna and it operates as it should off battery power.

Only thing I’m thinking it could be is a mismatch on the amp-by pass harness? It worked before I bypassed. Anyone else have this issue when bypassing stock amp?
I bought my 80 with the amp already bypassed and have this same issue.

are you using the power antenna wire off the head deck?

I have always read not to use this wire as it will affect antenna going up. I put in aftermarket radio into three different cruisers bypassing the amp, I have never connected that wire, believe it is blue. All three trucks the power antenna worked off the switch only.

I have always read not to use this wire as it will affect antenna going up. I put in aftermarket radio into three different cruisers bypassing the amp, I have never connected that wire, believe it is blue. All three trucks the power antenna worked off the switch only.
Interesting…I hadn’t heard that. I can’t imagine there’s anything magic about the amp that makes the auto function work as the “blue” wire was hooked up before.

I plan to look over wiring diagrams tonight and see if it’s blue to purple on the aftermarket harness.

I really like the ant going down when the truck is off.

So it looks like you lose the wiring to the Antenna ECU when you bypass the amp. Screen shot of LX450 wiring diagram shows wiring to Antenna ECU from original headunit harness. That explains why it no longer powers up with head unit but not why up-down switch no longer works. Going to see if I still have the no-bypass harness to test the theory.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 083658_Ant.png

Last edited:
Mystery solved. If you're bypassing the amp with a Metra Harness. Pull out the antenna power and connect it to the old OEM head unit harness as below (R2).

I happened to have my old Metra 70-8112 and wired just the antenna power into it, rest of the head unit wiring goes to bypass harness.

Goes up and down with radio power on/off and manual switch works again!

Screenshot 2024-02-09 200452_8 Pin.png

Mystery solved. If you're bypassing the amp with a Metra Harness. Pull out the antenna power and connect it to the old OEM head unit harness as below (R2).

I happened to have my old Metra 70-8112 and wired just the antenna power into it, rest of the head unit wiring goes to bypass harness.

View attachment 3554583
happen to have an EWD to trouble shoot the antena? I’m having issues with my new to me 97 FZJ80. I replaced the whole antena assembly and plugged the antena to the back of my aftermarket head unit and nothing… I pulled the switch out and the plug had zero power going to the switch. Is this also caused by bypassing the amp?

happen to have an EWD to trouble shoot the antena? I’m having issues with my new to me 97 FZJ80. I replaced the whole antena assembly and plugged the antena to the back of my aftermarket head unit and nothing… I pulled the switch out and the plug had zero power going to the switch. Is this also caused by bypassing the amp?
The resources section will have the EWD you’re looking for.

I never check for power to the switch but Up/Down didn’t work when Ant Pwr was wired into amp bypass.

View attachment 3554583
You are a lifesaver! I just tried this and it worked! My antenna now auto-retracts/extends and the manual controls work as well! Thank you so much!!! I was FINALLY able to take it through the car wash without fear of breaking the antenna!!! WOOHOO!!!

Weird. Mine doesn't auto extend/retract but works fine from the dash button. OEM radio and amp, all wiring intact.

Swapped to a new radio today and still no change. Guess I need to study the EWD.

You are a lifesaver! I just tried this and it worked! My antenna now auto-retracts/extends and the manual controls work as well! Thank you so much!!! I was FINALLY able to take it through the car wash without fear of breaking the antenna!!! WOOHO

Weird. Mine doesn't auto extend/retract but works fine from the dash button. OEM radio and amp, all wiring intact.

Swapped to a new radio today and still no change. Guess I need to study the EWD.
Weird. You might check the EWD for the ECU troubleshooting procedure.

If it is in fact the ECU, DM me. I have an extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom