Who has installed Daytime Running Lights (DRL) on their 80 for US models? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done a search and haven't found instructions on which wire to use to turn on the DRL. I have lights and a relay so mostly what I am looking for is what would be a good signal for the relay and where (under the dash or in the engine compartment) to find the wire.

Thanks for your help.

I have combo DRL and turn signals mounted in place of the stock ARB turn signals. The DRL is tapped into the CIG circuit through a dash switch.
You should download the Toyota EWD and FSM from the resources section. All your questions will be answered.

funny the 100 series guys have a thread to turn off daytime running lights

I have done a search and haven't found instructions on which wire to use to turn on the DRL. I have lights and a relay so mostly what I am looking for is what would be a good signal for the relay and where (under the dash or in the engine compartment) to find the wire.

Thanks for your help.
might be best if you tap it into the parking lights im not sure what fuse its located in but it wouldnt hurt lol

I did it years ago so I don’t have to run my headlights all the time. Super easy with a relay. They are on if the engine is running, but turn off when the headlights turn on.

I did it years ago so I don’t have to run my headlights all the time. Super easy with a relay. They are on if the engine is running, but turn off when the headlights turn on.

@LC4LIFE , this is exactly what I am looking for.
On if the engine is running, not just when the key is on the Acc or on position, and off when the headlights turn on. What signal wire did you use to your DRL relay?

might be best if you tap it into the parking lights im not sure what fuse its located in but it wouldnt hurt lol
I thought about this but read that it's better in the day to not have the tail lights on. The thought is that when braking it's better to have the brake lights go from off to bright then dim to brighter.

Why would you need to run the headlights all the time anyway? DRL's are not a substitute for parking/corner lights or headlights.

This is how I wired up my DRLs...

EDIT: Guess I could have added some comment to at least attempt to answer OP questions. I used the below diagram to setup my DRLs built into my Ironman bumper. I used two relays, one the ignition relay wired normally open, two the DRL relay wired normally closed. For the ignition relay activation circuit (A-C), I tapped into my accessory fuse. For the DRL relay, I tapped into the side (parking) lights (F). When ignition is turned on, accessory is energized closing the relay and since the DRL is normally closed, turning on the DRL lights. If or when the parking lights are turned on, the DRL relay is activated, breaking the DRL circuit.

Hope this helps..

DRL Wiring with Dual Relays.png

Last edited:
Why would you need to run the headlights all the time anyway? DRL's are not a substitute for parking/corner lights or headlights.
For visibility. I believe some lights are better than no lights, even during the day.

Had a cop tell me it's illegal to to have ONLY your parking lights/running lights/whatever you wanna call them, on in the daytime when the vehicle is moving. (Also illegal to have blue lights on a moving vehicle if your not the po-lice.) This in California. Of course. Might wanna check your local laws. And lights YOU add MIGHT skate as not being parking lights, depending...

@LC4LIFE , this is exactly what I am looking for.
On if the engine is running, not just when the key is on the Acc or on position, and off when the headlights turn on. What signal wire did you use to your DRL relay?
I’ll double check it tomorrow and let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom