White Knuckle sliders on LX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone installed the White Knuckle sliders on an LX? If so, what kind of protection do they offer for the AHC components? Do they require that the stock AHC protection be removed?

Just a caveat: I don't plan on doing any serious, hard-core rock crawling but I do want my suspension system to be protected in the off-chance I hit a pointy rock.

I've looked at the Slee versions but the price is prohibitive. Just for the sliders alone, there is nearly a $300 difference in price ($1464 -vs- $1185), a large part of which is shipping. (Side note: that confuses me because WK is shipping from CA to TN whereas Slee is shipping from CO to TN)

Once you add on the AHC protection, it totals out at approximately $530 more than the WK sliders ($1717 -vs- 1185. Also, I have the option to receive bare-metal WK sliders and do the painting/powder coating myself or with the help of a good friend who is a professional powder coater. This would drop my price for the sliders alone down to right at $1000 (including shipping). Obviously, I'd have to take into account the cost of painting the sliders myself but I think it'll be minimal.

I've also looked at the Budbuilt version and once again, the price is prohibitive for me.

Trust me, I know that any kind of damage to the AHC components is probably going to cost significantly more than the $250 for the Slee protection package but if the WK sliders don't require the removal of the stock protection, then I wouldn't need to purchase it and thereby save myself over $700 that could be used on a rack or bumper.

Feel free to slap me around if I'm totally underthinking this decision.

Frankly, since all you'd be buying is the steps (since the mounting points won't line up), you'd be better finding a local fabricator to build the sliders for you. That, or bite the bullet and get Slee. It's what I did and I don't regret it for a second. In the grand scheme of stuff you generally don't "upgrade" just buy once, cry once.

I am lucky to have a fab which mass produces sliders for ebay an hour away. They had a part which fit dimensionally for $200 or so. Totally fine DOM tube slider in the right length and with a kickout.

I asked them how much to buy a set of sliders and have them weld on. Bid was 8 hours of shop time. ($100/hr) + Sliders., so $1000 for that solution. That is unfinished, btw. At that price I thought I'd hold out *(waited 18 months) for a bolt on solution.

If you weld you can get into set for the cost of time + $200 + $150 or so for the 1/4" or DOM to mount with. A member did this recently . . .

Thanks for the tips guys.

I had no ideal the WK's wouldn't line up on the LX. Just when I thought it was safe to assume that most aftermarket accessories will fit both equally well I get corrected. I think I'll just go down to Home Depot and get some PVC and black spray paint. 😉

Seriously, I will reassess my options with the above advice. I'm sure I could probably figure out the welding part (given a couple of years) but that is not something I want to tackle and spend money on buying equipment for. I might also talk to my Powder Coat buddy and see if can recommend a good local fabricator to research that option.

Not sure if it is a better option (i doubt it), but you can ask ARBUSA if their Summit Sliders would work on LX?

If you can find a local retailer of ARBUSA, then you can get the sliders at a fair price because there is no shipping cost. (The save on cost was why i went with ARB instead of Slee's excellent LX slider.)

^Can you take a picture of the slider foots for us to see how and where they mount? I can take a picture the AHC equipment in those areas.

Arb doesn't fit. The options for LX are the slee, which narrows the attachment point to work around ahc, or weld on, at the moment anyhow.
I think DiY brackets would be far inferior to the slee solution.

Not the best picture for you. But this is the layout of the White Knuckle arms on passenger side. Pretty much identical on driver. I can see if I have a better picture, won't be able to take any for you until tomorrow
1591126065598.png

^Can you take a picture of the slider foots for us to see how and where they mount? I can take a picture the AHC equipment in those areas.

Grinchy already says no. But here is a pic of ARB Summit on passenger side just in case:
a44f32de-0a08-4128-9491-cbe481a5590a-jpeg.2306369

Thx. Not a great picture with the stock AHC protection rails in place. Definitely a lot on along the frame rails in general.

1591131306442.png

Thx. Not a great picture with the stock AHC protection rails in place. Definitely a lot on along the frame rails in general.

Yeah, ARB is out of the question for sure. Slee is the only option then.

Here's some pictures of them before I put them on, and underside pics I took from my skid install that shows the brackets. Hopefully they're helpful.

20190417_202559.jpg

20191008_120402.jpg

20191008_120437.jpg

Here's some pictures of them before I put them on, and underside pics I took from my skid install that shows the brackets. Hopefully they're helpful.

View attachment 2327731

Do you do a lot of toasting in the garage? Maybe some Jeno's frozen pizzas while you're working on the truck? :D

These are 100-series Metaltech/OPOR unfinished sliders for a bit over $600.

Can't say I am not tempted to re-work these 100-series sliders. 80 series, 100, and 200 all have the same wheelbase so it's likely the visible parts of the sliders could be adapted. The feet, especially against the AHC components, is likely far more work than meets the eye.

Will be slapping these on my bros 100-series (my previous car), this weekend.

1591132489277.png

These are 100-series Metaltech/OPOR unfinished sliders for a bit over $600.

Can't say I am not tempted to re-work these 100-series sliders. 80 series, 100, and 200 all have the same wheelbase so it's likely the visible parts of the sliders could be adapted. The feet, especially against the AHC components, is likely far more work than meets the eye.

Will be slapping these on my bros 100-series (my previous car), this weekend.

View attachment 2327743
We dare ya! Do it!

I've done cardboard tracing cutouts, looked up shear rates for m8 and m10 bolts, priced bracket raw material at the metal store, called every fab for 200s and some just plain fabs for advice and trying to talk them into creating a set for us. I bought a welder . . . I even started a "Let's group buy a slider thread for LXs". Remember the wait was 18 months between July and the year after December for Slee's supply . . . it was a long time to wander in the wilderness worried about rocker panels.

Can it be done - yes! Almost any of the sliders can have the existing bracket cut off or modified (or ordered without a bracket) and a new bracket set welded on. If you want it removable, then you have to trace, angle, and cut and prep all brackets with holes and make sure the feet fit etc. Pretty much only the Budbuilt version couldn't be adapted 'easily' If you weld to frame there is additional work to rust proof the frame after. I don't want to oversell the work, but there is a fair bit. . . if you have a full metal working setup it isn't a big deal, and you already did it, like Prime or MilliWilli.

Is it worth the effort when there is a shipping option? NIMHO. Hopefully soon there will even be multiple shipping options . . . :cool:

I have a toaster oven in the garage that I have used to heat gears while reassembling a 911 transmission. They don't fit at room temp. Doesn't seem weird to me.

I've done cardboard tracing cutouts, looked up shear rates for m8 and m10 bolts, priced bracket raw material at the metal store, called every fab for 200s and some just plain fabs for advice and trying to talk them into creating a set for us. I bought a welder . . . I even started a "Let's group buy a slider thread for LXs". Remember the wait was 18 months between July and the year after December for Slee's supply . . . it was a long time to wander in the wilderness worried about rocker panels.

Can it be done - yes! Almost any of the sliders can have the existing bracket cut off or modified (or ordered without a bracket) and a new bracket set welded on. If you want it removable, then you have to trace, angle, and cut and prep all brackets with holes and make sure the feet fit etc. Pretty much only the Budbuilt version couldn't be adapted 'easily' If you weld to frame there is additional work to rust proof the frame after. I don't want to oversell the work, but there is a fair bit. . . if you have a full metal working setup it isn't a big deal, and you already did it, like Prime or MilliWilli.

Is it worth the effort when there is a shipping option? NIMHO. Hopefully soon there will even be multiple shipping options . . . :cool:

Yes. All of that! There's real work and value that you're getting when purchasing a turn key solution. A one off is unlikely to be better and in most respects, a compromised solution. Unless someone really enjoys the challenge or wants a slider style that is not available for the LX.

I really like the slide of the Slee formed slide. Looks almost like OEM equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom